1. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    06 Aug '15 23:21
    Any fans/opinions?

I'm loving Stardust — it reminds me of the kind of stories I used to love reading during my happiest childhood days.
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Aug '15 13:00
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Any fans/opinions?

I'm loving Stardust — it reminds me of the kind of stories I used to love reading during my happiest childhood days.
    Well, as a Pratchett fan of course I love Good Omens.

Of his own work, I've read Smoke and Mirrors and while I enjoyed it, it didn't send him all the way up the Must Read list, what with Wodehouse and Stross and even Bramah being on there. I won't be getting addicted to Sandman any time soon, as so many people seem to have done, but if I happen to come across one of his books which appeal to me I'll probably pick it up. Stardust is supposed to be inspired by Dunsany; if that's true and not just market speak, I might be tempted to look out for it.

One story of his I did love very much was A Study in Emerald.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    07 Aug '15 15:57
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Well, as a Pratchett fan of course I love Good Omens.

Of his own work, I've read Smoke and Mirrors and while I enjoyed it, it didn't send him all the way up the Must Read list, what with Wodehouse and Stross and even Bramah being on there. I won't be getting addicted to Sandman any time soon, as so many people seem to have done, but if I happen to co ...[text shortened]... be tempted to look out for it.

One story of his I did love very much was A Study in Emerald.
    When all the hype with Mr Gaiman was happening a few years ago I sort of dismissed him as a sort of fantasy/YA fad with hipster cred, but I'm so glad I took the opportunity of trying Stardust, which from one website or another was an Amazon freebie. It's really inventive and already promises (after 3 chapters) to be much, much more than genre fiction. Don't know about the Dunsany connection, but I have heard that name in connection with the book before. Whether in marketing spiel or a genuine review I can't be sure.

Not really a fan of Pratchett, but Wodehouse is on the way to becoming a favourite author of mine as I work through his oeuvre from beginning to end. I already love him and I'm a long way from getting to the best writing.
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Aug '15 10:05
    Not really a fan of Pratchett, but Wodehouse is on the way to becoming a favourite author of mine as I work through his oeuvre from beginning to end. I already love him and I'm a long way from getting to the best writing.
    Oh, yes. A year or two ago a discount bookshop over here had a whole series of remaindered Wodehouse pockets, so I snapped up as many as I could find.
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    10 Aug '15 11:29
    Oh, yes. A year or two ago a discount bookshop over here had a whole series of remaindered Wodehouse pockets, so I snapped up as many as I could find.
    His complete works are (were?) available on iBooks for £2.49. I'd like to have paperbacks, but to be honest I just don't have the space right now.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Aug '15 12:59
    His complete works are (were?) available on iBooks for £2.49. I'd like to have paperbacks, but to be honest I just don't have the space right now.
    Books are one of the things I'll make space for. I can't stand e-books, I want real paper between my fingers.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Aug '15 14:09
    Books are one of the things I'll make space for. I can't stand e-books, I want real paper between my fingers.
    AND you don't have to worry about the stupid battery going dead.....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree