Opera

Opera

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
23 Feb 20

Love it or
hate it...

...there is rarely in between.

For my part, it is the former, so much so that I decided I don’t get enough and I invested in a subscription to The Met on Demand app through my FireStick.

I was introduced to full-length opera over 30 years ago when my first husband’s best friend offered tickets to the Utah Opera production of Turandot, in which his wife performed with the company. It was love at the first note.

Last week I attended a live performance of Tosca. Now, with my on demand subscription, I’m working through Wagner’s Ring Cycle, of course starting with Das Rheingold with the great Bryn Terfel, which I saw on Met in HD years ago. It is still brilliant, as is Sir Bryn.

Opera...love or hate...?

Which have you seen and which is your favorite?

D

Moves
23 Feb 20

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
23 Feb 20

The post that was quoted here has been removed
There is a video of a production of Carmen set in modern times. It was a brilliant adaptation and I cannot seem to locate it now.

It is an accomplishment to sing opera. How fortunate that you have been able to develop your talent.

D

Moves
23 Feb 20

D

Moves
23 Feb 20

D

Moves
25 Feb 20

Moves
27 Feb 20

@hakima said
Love it or
hate it...

For my part, it is the former, so much so that I decided I don’t get enough and I invested in a subscription to The Met on Demand app through my FireStick.

I was introduced to full-length opera over 30 years ago when my first husband’s best friend offered tickets to the Utah Opera production of Turandot, in which h ...[text shortened]... iant, as is Sir Bryn.

Opera...love or hate...?

My mother and grandmother loved L'Opera Italiano.

I must say as an American youth, I was quite the rebel. But as I've matured I find that I do appreciate it more.

I began to realize this when I first saw the Shawshank Redemption. That scene in the prison where Tim Robbins' character plays the duettino "Sull' Aria" was quite moving.

Since then, I must say, for nostalgic purposes...I'll go to YouTube to get a quick hit of inspiration from "Nessun Dorma".

But honestly, I can't claim any more knowledge than that. I should no more. But, I don't.

Che peccato!

D

Moves
28 Feb 20

Moves
28 Feb 20

@hakima said
Love it or
hate it...

I was introduced to full-length opera over 30 years ago when my first husband’s best friend offered tickets to the Utah Opera production of Turandot, in which h ...[text shortened]... iant, as is Sir Bryn.

Opera...love or hate...?

Being thusly inspired, I gave Mozart's "The Magic Flute" (Die Zauberflote) a listen last night just at bedtime. YouTube is an awesome creation, isn't it?
Anyway, even with subtitles, I wish I could understand the original German.

Fantastic music! Very soothing.

- The Magic Flute

Australia

Moves
28 Feb 20

My all-time favourite is the Wagner Ring Cycle. Had the good fortune to experience the 1985 Bayreuth festival, and have the previous production (Chereau/Boulez) on DVD. Almost anything by Puccini or Verdi or Mozart for the lighter moments. The only performance I ever walked out of was a modern piece called Voss.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
29 Feb 20

@hakima said
Love it or
hate it...

Opera...love or hate...?

Puccini's Madam Butterfly. The final act is tragically beautiful.

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
29 Feb 20

@kewpie said
My all-time favourite is the Wagner Ring Cycle. Had the good fortune to experience the 1985 Bayreuth festival, and have the previous production (Chereau/Boulez) on DVD. Almost anything by Puccini or Verdi or Mozart for the lighter moments. The only performance I ever walked out of was a modern piece called Voss.
I’m listening to The Ring Cycle, featuring Sir Bryn Terfel on the Met app. It is brilliant!

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
29 Feb 20

@wolfe63 said
Being thusly inspired, I gave Mozart's "The Magic Flute" (Die Zauberflote) a listen last night just at bedtime. YouTube is an awesome creation, isn't it?
Anyway, even with subtitles, I wish I could understand the original German.

Fantastic music! Very soothing.

[youtube]02u4Jf_aNPI[/youtube] - The Magic Flute
As I am learning German, I’m delighted to say that I am able to understand a lot of the script of many German operas. I think listening to opera is a great way to get familiar with an unfamiliar language.

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
29 Feb 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Puccini's Madam Butterfly. The final act is tragically beautiful.
Puccini is master at expressing myriad tragedies.

I can honestly say that I have not seen Madam Butterfly in its entirety. That may just be my next viewing, based on your recommendation.

D

Moves
01 Mar 20