1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 11:36
    Am going to Praia de Luz next month for a few days, and was wondering what there is to see in the area. I plan on bringing my camera, so any nice spot recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I plan on hiring a car and have heard that the Portuguese are fairly mental, and intolerant of hire drives. I've driven in Italy, and despite getting pulled over by the police (I was acting very suspiciously in that I was driving at the speed limit), I did quite well. Am I insane in trying to do the same thing in Portugal?

D
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 12:061 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Am going to Praia de Luz next month for a few days, and was wondering what there is to see in the area. I plan on bringing my camera, so any nice spot recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I plan on hiring a car and have heard that the Portuguese are fairly mental, and intolerant of hire drives. I've driven in Italy, and despite getting pulled ...[text shortened]... e speed limit), I did quite well. Am I insane in trying to do the same thing in Portugal?

D
    When are you leaving? Although I'm from the other side of the country, I may be able to help you a bit. Just give me a bit of time and tell me what you're looking for mostly (beach, partying, historical sites, mountain hikes, relaxing, golfing,...)

I honestly don't think you'll have a problem in Portugal if you managed in Italy. We're fairly mental, but I think that about the same level as Italians but still not at the level of Cairo, Athens or Bucharest.

Edit: Have fun in the 'fake' Portugal. 😛
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 21:52
    Originally posted by Palynka
    When are you leaving? Although I'm from the other side of the country, I may be able to help you a bit. Just give me a bit of time and tell me what you're looking for mostly (beach, partying, historical sites, mountain hikes, relaxing, golfing,...)

I honestly don't think you'll have a problem in Portugal if you managed in Italy. We're fairly mental, but I ...[text shortened]... at the level of Cairo, Athens or Bucharest.

Edit: Have fun in the 'fake' Portugal. 😛
    Hmmm, hard to say what I'm looking for. I'll have an 11 month old baby with me, and will mostly be looking to relax. Mostly, I guess, I'm just looking for that "You can't miss such and such" tip.

Cheers,

D
  4. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 07:14
    Try this site:
    http://www.algarve-luzbay.com/index.html

Lagos (10 mins by car) is a nice little town nearby.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 08:49

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 10:30
    Hmmm, hard to say what I'm looking for. I'll have an 11 month old baby with me, and will mostly be looking to relax. Mostly, I guess, I'm just looking for that "You can't miss such and such" tip.

Cheers,

D
    It's hard to say. For me, it's not the type of place for going for a few days... Praia da Luz is a good base for relaxing beach holidays (say, 1 or 2 weeks) as there are some nice beaches around and you can drive to several different ones if you feel like changing the scenario.

Ponta da Piedade (near Lagoa) is quite nice:
    http://www.photoglobe.info/algarve/imgs/portugal_20040713_010.jpg
    or Alvor:
    http://14.img.v4.skyrock.com/146/portugal4ever7/pics/1124680388_small.jpg

The Algarve was a superb place, but nowadays it is in great part ruined by tourism. Avoid places like Quarteira, Albufeira, Vilamoura or Armação de Pera like the plague.

In terms of historical sites there's really not that much interesting stuff. Sagres/Cabo S. Vicente is ok if the sea is particularly rough (if huge waves on cliffs are your thing), but otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

Perhaps if you don't feel like going to the beach and like castles, try going inland up to Silves. Silves is still (or at least was some 6 years ago) pretty much untouched by tourism, so you'll have a taste of the 'real' Algarve.

For eating, your best bet is to ask around. I know a great 'Marisqueira' (a place to eat seafood & drink beer) in Portimão, but I forgot the name... If you feel like eating outside near the sea, the food won't be as good as in some Restaurants in the villages. It will most likely still be good, but it's a bit of a gamble with the tourist traps. Kind of a trade-off there. If you see ''Ameijoas à Bolhão Pato' in a menu, don't hesitate, ORDER IT.

Like I said, I'm from the other side of the country so I might not the best person to recommend you stuff.
  7. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 20:32
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Ponta da Piedade (near Lagoa) is quite nice:
    http://www.photoglobe.info/algarve/imgs/portugal_20040713_010.jpg
    or Alvor:
    http://14.img.v4.skyrock.com/146/portugal4ever7/pics/1124680388_small.jpg
    I stayed in Alvor a couple of years ago. Nice place, but my biggest memory is of several fantastic fish restaurants.
  8. Joined
    29 Mar '07
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 20:34

I plan on hiring a car and have heard that the Portuguese are fairly mental, and intolerant of hire drives. I've driven in Italy, and despite getting pulled ...[text shortened]... e speed limit), I did quite well. Am I insane in trying to do the same thing in Portugal?

D
    Bring a babysitter and don't let your child wear an everton top!
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    19 May '08 18:53
    Thanks to everybody who contributed to the thread. The info proved useful, although I think we only ate out a couple of times.

It's a beautiful spot, not ruined by tourism at all, IMHO. ALthough having said that, we were there just at the beginning of the season, so my opinion may have been different if I had been there in August.

The landscape was amazing, and I managed to get some lovely shots.

The driving wasn't a bother. The Portuguese are much better, more considerate drivers than the Irish, especially in terms of indication and use of overtaking lanes on the motorways.

Favourite spots: Alvor and the deserted praias just west of Burgau.

Here are some shots I took...
    This was taken from an old ruin near Burgau... http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2331/2506381180_ec4623c18c_o.jpg
    This is a wee church near Salema...
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3238/2505550271_2566a0aa0e_o.jpg
    This is a path in ruins near Sagres...
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3252/2505550759_5285d9b9cb_o.jpg
    This is Salema beach...
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3191/2495104739_2123da9757_o.jpg

I'll save ye the family shots. 😉

D
  10. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    19 May '08 21:06
    Rag, those are beautiful pics. Why don't we start a photo comp? 😉

We are spending a week in St Ives, Cornwall next month. I'm hoping to take some great shots on my travels through the old motherland.
  11. The sky
    Moves
    19 May '08 21:14
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Go ahead! 😛

I have been planning for a long time to start a photo thread (non-competitive). Hopefully it'll happen within the next few days.

Nice pictures, Rag!
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    19 May '08 23:25
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher

We are spending a week in St Ives, Cornwall next month. I'm hoping to take some great shots on my travels through the old motherland.
    To be honest, I've been seriously considering reviving the competition.

I'm really enjoying my photography at the moment, and the comp was always a good motivation to go out and there and shoot.

The only problem is that I have very little spare time for all the admin work. Wheely mentioned automating it some time ago, didn't he? Does he visit RHP any more? Anybody else interested in getting involved (ie: do all the work in automating it?🙂 )

I'd propose that in the interest of inclusion, we'd relaunch with some widely shot themes, revisiting such favs as sunrise/sunsets.

I think I've seen some shots of Cornwall by this guy, http://www.adamclutterbuck.com/ His long exposure shots are great and may inspire you.

D
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    20 May '08 08:54
    Thanks to everybody who contributed to the thread. The info proved useful, although I think we only ate out a couple of times.

It's a beautiful spot, not ruined by tourism at all, IMHO. ALthough having said that, we were there just at the beginning of the season, so my opinion may have been different if I had been there in August.

The landscape was ...[text shortened]... static.flickr.com/3191/2495104739_2123da9757_o.jpg

I'll save ye the family shots. 😉

D
    Nice pics. 🙂

Did you get to eat the ameijoas?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree