1. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 14:012 edits
    I was surprised to see that this debate had a distinct undertone indicating a "battle of the sexes".
    Both experts are extremely well-known and respected.
    In my opinion, Simon Schama's "The Power of Art (2006)" is the best on-screen art history series since Kenneth Clarke's "Civilisation (1969)".

However, in this debate, I give a slight nod to Vermeer. But, just by a micron.

What do you think?

YouTube - Rembrandt vs. Vermeer Debate

YouTube - "The Power of Art (2006)", Schama

YouTube - "Civilisation (1969)", Clarke
  2. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    06 Jul '19 04:55

Removed by poster

3. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 04:43
    @wolfe63 said
    I was surprised to see that this debate had a distinct undertone indicating a "battle of the sexes".
    Both experts are extremely well-known and respected.
    In my opinion, Simon Schama's "The Power of Art (2006)" is the best on-screen art history series since Kenneth Clarke's "Civilisation (1969)".

However, in this debate, I give a slight nod to Vermeer. But, just by a micr ...[text shortened]... ower of Art (2006)", Schama

[youtube]w6qYjisp51M&list[/youtube] - "Civilisation (1969)", Clarke
    Rembrandt texturized light.

Vermeer created it.

Thank you for sharing the Power of Art episode and the debate. Schama wins the debate, not for Rembrandt but for the passion with which Schama presents him.
  4. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    08 Jul '19 10:24
    @hakima said
    Rembrandt texturized light.

Vermeer created it.

Thank you for sharing the Power of Art episode and the debate. Schama wins the debate, not for Rembrandt but for the passion with which Schama presents him.
    Yeah, I suppose Simon made his case more passionately. I have immense admiration for him, so I'll not knock that assessment.

Luckily for us, Rembrandt was a prolific painter. Conversely, it's unfortunate that Vermeer's oeuvre is so considerably limited. And though value based upon rarity is not always best, it is a collector's reality.
  5. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    09 Jul '19 04:59
    @wolfe63 said
    Yeah, I suppose Simon made his case more passionately. I have immense admiration for him, so I'll not knock that assessment.

Luckily for us, Rembrandt was a prolific painter. Conversely, it's unfortunate that Vermeer's oeuvre is so considerably limited. And though value based upon rarity is not always best, it is a collector's reality.
    When I was a very young girl I lived near enough to the Smithsonians in Washington DC that my mother (who, by the way I have recommended to view The Power of Art series...thank you very much 😊) would take me nearly every other weekend. I am certain that I saw original Rembrandts but I cannot say that I saw an original Vermeer...Of course, at 57, I am discovering my memory of my childhood is somewhat of, a blur and I'm sometimes uncertain if I actually saw on a painting on a gallery wall or in a book.

I went on to view the episode of Carravagio, who I feel beats out both Rembrandt and Vermeer. I saw an exhibit of his work in Fort Worth a few years back.
  6. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    12 Jul '19 12:06
    @hakima said
    When I was a very young girl I lived near enough to the Smithsonians in Washington DC that my mother (who, by the way I have recommended to view The Power of Art series...thank you very much 😊) would take me nearly every other weekend. I am certain that I saw original Rembrandts but I cannot say that I saw an original Vermeer...Of course, at 57, I am discovering my memory of m ...[text shortened]... l beats out both Rembrandt and Vermeer. I saw an exhibit of his work in Fort Worth a few years back.
    Caravaggio was quite a character. His genius with paint is undeniable. Some of Rome's greatest treasures were created by him.
    Like many great artists in history, his weakness for wine proved his undoing.

His self-portrait as Goliath's head is still relatively haunting.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jul '19 18:27
    @WOLFE63
    Which was a result of his slow careful way of painting and extreme attention to detail. And dying at 43 didn't help either. I would have loved to have seen Vermeer at 70 and the paintings he would have done then. Maybe it would have been like Picasso's jaunt into cubism.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree