Saddest classical pieces ever

Saddest classical pieces ever

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

k

Moves
20 Dec 08

Originally posted by ivan2908
I have at least 100 heart tearing pieces in my mind 😉 But let's start with Barber's Adagio...

What's your choice ?
Sad music or very moving music: Jesse Norman singing Richard Strauss" Four Last Songs"
I found track 5 of her 'Brava, Jesse' album to be exquisite....this is the 3rd of the four last songs....title is "Beim Schlafengehen" . But other vocalists also do justice to the work, such as Elisabeth Schwarzkopf. I did not always like vocals but this music is incredibly lovely, from the first time I heard it.

I also find the middle movements of Tchaikovsky's and Brahms Violin concertos very moving and can listen to them more than once at a sitting. Sad and expressive moments.

Then there are the Beethoven Piano concertos, also the slow middle movements.

In regard to folk music, I recently discovered the Canadian musician Garnet Rogers singing "Sparrow's Wing" from his album 'All That Is'.

Of course this is a matter of taste. The nice part about this thread is that I am discovering other treasures I had not heard prior to this. thanks, everyone!

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
20 Dec 08
2 edits

I have at least 100 heart tearing pieces in my mind 😉 But let's start with Barber's Adagio...

What's your choice ?
"Funeral March"
"Prelude In E Minor, Op.28, No.4" Chopin

Moonlight Sonata" Beethoven

i
SelfProclaimedTitler

Moves
20 Dec 08
2 edits

Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
I agree with hearing it online. That's not a good way to listen to it.
Nothing like listening it on the real concert. I almost got an heart attack when I was listening to the Tchaikovsky Fifth on a real concert, I wouldn't even go to listen to the Pathetique Symphony. Too much 😛

Erro Ergo Sum

In the Green Room

Moves
20 Dec 08

Nothing like listening it on the real concert. I almost got an heart attack when I was listening to the Tchaikovsky Fifth on a real concert, I wouldn't even go to listen to the Pathetique Symphony. Too much 😛
>As a horn player, I get choked up at the last notes I must play in the Tchaikovsky Pathetique Symphony. The great hero of all us horn players is the English player, Dennis Brain. The last notes he ever played were these notes in a concert in Edinborough. He died in a car accident while driving back to London after the concert.
>So not only is this piece incredibly sad, but it is doubly so for me when I come to those last few notes. Thank goodness they're easy to play.

P

weedhopper

Moves
20 Dec 08

Originally posted by Nordlys
You find the Carmina Burana sad?
Yes--when I hear it, I always am reminded of Sean Hannity.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
21 Dec 08

What's your choice ?
Sad, weepy eyed classical music is for those in fetal positions who like to suck there thumbs! 😏

i
SelfProclaimedTitler

Moves
21 Dec 08

Originally posted by bill718
Sad, weepy eyed classical music is for those in fetal positions who like to suck there thumbs! 😏
Tell us more about your deepest fantasies.

n
The Conductor

With the band

Moves
22 Dec 08

Holst--2nd Suite in F for Military Band, Mvmt. II--"Song Without Words: I'll Love My Love"
Wagner--Overture to "Tristan und Isolde" "Liebestod"

I also heard a recording (wish I owned it) of the finale of Shostakovich's Symphony No. 5 under the direction of the composer. Dmitri took it way slower than the Bernstein recording. Under Shostakovich's direction it sounds dark, brooding, and oppressive. There is none of the joy and exuberance one normally hears. There is no optimism whatsoever at the conclusion. What made this recording incredibly sad for me to listen to was the quote from Shostakovich that he was unable to perform it with the joy that the New York Phil played it because of the treatment from his government.

np

rural North Dakota

Moves
27 Dec 08

When I was a 19 year old college student I was asked to be one of the guest soloists at the dedication of a new pipe organ in Bremerton, Washington. The featured guest was a man from Tacoma. I played three numbers and the easiest one was a poignant one of Tschaikovsky's: "None But the Lonely Heart". Another one I played on the piano for a visiting relative right after tragedy had struck was McDowell's "To a Wild Rose". I cannot bear to hear that piece to this day....35 years later.

Moves
02 Jan 09

The aria " Dalla Sua Pace" from Don Giovanni always does it for me.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
02 Jan 09

Oh my Lord this one is so sad to me on so many levels. This music is so moving, but this Sarah Brightman is all over this poor blind man and he can't even see her cleavage. Tragic.

&feature=related

Hristos voskrese

feckin' 'ell

Moves
03 Jan 09
2 edits

Bach - Air on a G String and also Terminator 2 Theme.....so what!! i like it.