1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 23:301 edit
    I'm inviting comments on the following program. I'm thinking of attending but I'm not familiar with most of the composers. Any input would be helpful.

Alfredo Piatti, Caprice no. 1 in G minor (1875)
    Tobias Hume, Touch me lightly; Captain Hume's galliard (17 th century)
    Anonymous, Woodycock (17th century)
    Sylvestro Ganassi, Four Ricercars (1542)
    Guillaume de Machaut, Chansons (14th century)
    Hugo Becker, Forest Murmurs (1910)
    Johann Sebastian Bach, Suite in E-flat major, BWV 1010 (ca. 1720)
  2. The sky
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 00:26
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I'm inviting comments on the following program. I'm thinking of attending but I'm not familiar with most of the composers. Any input would be helpful.

Alfredo Piatti, Caprice no. 1 in G minor (1875)
    Tobias Hume, Touch me lightly; Captain Hume's galliard (17 th century)
    Anonymous, Woodycock (17th century)
    Sylvestro Ganassi, Four Ricercars (1542)
    Gu ...[text shortened]... er, Forest Murmurs (1910)
    Johann Sebastian Bach, Suite in E-flat major, BWV 1010 (ca. 1720)
    I don't know all of them either. Who is playing?

Piatti - sort of fun, but not all that interesting. I don't think he intended the caprices to be played in concert, they are more like etudes.
    Tobias Hume - never heard of him.
    Anonymous - I have heard many pieces of varying quality by anonymous. 😉 I don't think I know this one.
    Ganassi - doesn't ring a bell either.
    Machaut - I love his music, although I have never heard any of it played on the cello, I think.
    Hugo Becker - he was a cellist and wrote etudes; I didn't know he had written anything else, no idea whether it's good
    J.S. Bach - I think I heard of him. 😉 The suite in E-flat major is not my favourite among the 6 solo suites, but they are all great.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 00:29
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I don't know all of them either. Who is playing?

Piatti - sort of fun, but not all that interesting. I don't think he intended the caprices to be played in concert, they are more like etudes.
    Tobias Hume - never heard of him.
    Anonymous - I have heard many pieces of varying quality by anonymous. 😉 I don't think I know this one.
    Ganassi - doesn't ring ...[text shortened]... suite in E-flat major is not my favourite among the 6 solo suites, but they are all great.
    Thanks for the input.

Charles Curtis. Do you know of him?
  4. The sky
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 00:35
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Thanks for the input.

Charles Curtis. Do you know of him?
    I am afraid not.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 00:41
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I am afraid not.
    Well, unless I get more input I won't put this in the "must see" bin.

Here's a portion of his biography. Maybe some of will ring a bell:

Cellist Charles Curtis studied at the Juilliard School under Leonard Rose and Harvey Shapiro. Before receiving his Bachelors and Masters degrees in 1985, he spent two terms studying history at the London School of Economics and Political Science. Upon graduating from Juilliard, Curtis was appointed to the faculty of Princeton University, where for four years he taught cello and chamber music and advised graduate composition students on matters of string performance and technique.

From 1989 through 2000 Curtis was First Solo Cellist of the Symphony Orchestra of the North German Radio (NDR) in Hamburg. In this capacity and as a concert soloist he has soloed under distinguished conductors such as Herbert Blomstedt, André Previn, John Eliot Gardiner, Christoph Eschenbach, Günter Wand and Max Rudolf. He has been guest soloist with such orchestras as the San Francisco Symphony, Baltimore Symphony, National Symphony, Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Symphony Orchestra of Berlin, Orquestra de la Maggio Musicale Florence, and the orchestras of Sao Paolo, Brazil and Santiago de Chile, among many others. His recording of the Shostakovich Cello Concerto No. 1 with the NDR Symphony Orchestra under Leopold Hager was released in 1998 on the German Klassik Klub label

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree