1. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    06 Jan '15 14:28
    Michael Caine

Never quite understood his megastardom. I think he's quite wooden, although he definitely has an imposing screen presence. How did he get chosen to act in so many classics or near-classics? At least I must give him credit for being hard-working and salute his longevity: 161 acting credits and still going strong.
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Jan '15 19:16
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Michael Caine

Never quite understood his megastardom. I think he's quite wooden, although he definitely has an imposing screen presence. How did he get chosen to act in so many classics or near-classics? At least I must give him credit for being hard-working and salute his longevity: 161 acting credits and still going strong.
    He plays a certain kind of character - the sympathetic unflappable lower-class Brit - and plays it very well; and he was in his prime at a time (after WWII) when that character was in strong demand. He's very like a Sassenach Sean Connery - and by the way, I recommend The Man Who Would Be King. A right-pondian Paul Newman wouldn't be too far off the mark, either, except that they seem to be at other ends of the political spectrum.
    Is he a great actor? No. He's a good actor, and often a greatly enjoyable actor, but not a great artist. Does he have to be a great actor to be a great star, though? I don't think so. He has to draw crowds, entertain them, and be sympathetic. He manages all three. And after all, he can act - he may not be Dustin Hoffman, but at least he's much closer to Hoffman than to Steven Seagal.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    07 Jan '15 19:29
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    He plays a certain kind of character - the sympathetic unflappable lower-class Brit - and plays it very well; and he was in his prime at a time (after WWII) when that character was in strong demand. He's very like a Sassenach Sean Connery - and by the way, I recommend The Man Who Would Be King. A right-pondian Paul Newman wouldn't be too far off the mar ...[text shortened]... - he may not be Dustin Hoffman, but at least he's much closer to Hoffman than to Steven Seagal.
    That's a very fair appraisal; he has a certain magnetism and authority, if not exactly gravitas, which must attract people to the films he stars in. I like the comparison with Sean Connery, although I much prefer Connery, who has greater versatility. Although I don't anymore watch repeats of The Italian Job, it's a role I thought Caine played brilliantly.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 05:26
    Nancy Kwan was so cute. I figure she should have been a major star, rather than just a borderline star-- and that only for a handful of years.

I still remember her late-night TV ads for Pearl Cream moisturizer when she was no longer getting film roles.
  5. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 22:15
    Humphrey Bogart, Alan Alda, And Stanley Kubrick were all better than average chess players.
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    11 Jan '15 00:431 edit
    Originally posted by woadman
    Humphrey Bogart, Alan Alda, And Stanley Kubrick were all better than average chess players.
    I've occasionally wondered exactly how good an average chess player is.

Alan Alda was great in MASH. Someone I know who has now become a lighting director seems to have modelled himself on the guy. I've never asked him straight out, but the resemble is striking, personality- and appearance-wise.

Stanley Kubrick lived not too far from me (not quite sure where though). Have a look for the video compilation of his "one-point perspective" shots (ie not the rule of thirds). It's an eye-opener (think it's on Vimeo).
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jan '15 18:57

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 20:25
    Hadn't thought of this in years... my brother in his youth was a fan of Wallace Beery, who was already dead by then.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Feb '15 03:38
    Two of my favorites are Morgan Freeman and Diane Lane.
  10. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 10:35

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree