1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 01:502 edits
    Beyond his nonpareil virtuosity, Marcel Dupré, one of the greatest organists of the 20th century,
    was also a master improviser. Because he flourished in the earlier part of the century, most of
    these improvisations are lost. Towards the end of his life, he was afflicted with crippling arthritis
    which made playing exceedingly difficult. Consider this improvisation, made at the age of 79,
    which is a double fugue based on the Gregorian chant melody 'Regina Coeli.' As is the practice
    in such affairs, the music he has on the stand is that chant melody and nothing else.

YouTube

In France, this practice of improvising based on submitted themes is one of the responsibilities
    expected of the major organists' positions (Notre Dame, Chartres, St Sulpice, St Eustache, &c).
    Dupré, who was the titular organist at St Sulpice for many decades, by any standard or tastes,
    was among the best such improvisators of all time even if one's tastes lean toward the less
    pedagogical.

Any comments?

Nemesio
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 04:201 edit
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Beyond his nonpareil virtuosity, Marcel Dupré, one of the greatest organists of the 20th century,
    was also a master improviser. Because he flourished in the earlier part of the century, most of
    these improvisations are lost. Towards the end of his life, he was afflicted with crippling arthritis
    which made playing exceedingly difficult. Consider this i l time even if one's tastes lean toward the less
    pedagogical.

Any comments?

Nemesio
    I want to give a listen, but am at work now, not that I couldn't listen, just crappy speakers🙂 BTW, how is the thesis coming?
    Did you see my post on Smetana? Wondered where he stands in the world of composers?
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 05:15
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    BTW, how is the thesis coming?

Ahem. No comment 🙁

Did you see my post on Smetana? Wondered where he stands in the world of composers?

I'll have to profess a significant ignorance of Smetana. Except for the famous 'Moldau' and
    a string quartet, I don't know any of his music.

I'm not very helpful, I'm afraid. My next series of downloads will be Fauré's chamber music,
    I think.

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree