Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. 07 Nov '10 20:07 / 1 edit
    Just watched Brian Ferry destroying his reputation on Strictly Come Dancing (UK) by singing some god-awful new single backdropped by some last minute "dancing babes"; it was extremely embarrassing.

    When will successful artists (of this type of situation) stop producing second rate crap in the vain belief that people are interested in "them as artists", rather than them as iconic artistic idols/artifacts of a bygone era. The song Brian mouth-breathed was absolute rubbish and I was dismayed by his lack of self awareness as a mature artist in not realising or at least caring what people really think of him.
  2. 08 Nov '10 15:21
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Just watched Brian Ferry destroying his reputation on Strictly Come Dancing (UK) by singing some god-awful new single backdropped by some last minute "dancing babes"; it was extremely embarrassing.

    When will successful artists (of this type of situation) stop producing second rate crap in the vain belief that people are interested in "them as artist ...[text shortened]... ness as a mature artist in not realising or at least caring what people really think of him.
    So, if you don't want to see has-beens making fools of themselves on public television... why do you watch Strictly in the first place?

    I mean, come on, Brucie... definition of "had it", isn't he?

    Richard
  3. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    08 Nov '10 15:56
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Just watched Brian Ferry destroying his reputation on Strictly Come Dancing (UK) by singing some god-awful new single backdropped by some last minute "dancing babes"; it was extremely embarrassing.

    When will successful artists (of this type of situation) stop producing second rate crap in the vain belief that people are interested in "them as artist ...[text shortened]... ness as a mature artist in not realising or at least caring what people really think of him.
    What was the single? I really liked his collaborations with Thievery Corporation in recent times.

    Aren't you being a little unfair? Should he just curl up and die? I'm not sure I agree that an artist should be afraid of not living up to his past work. Go out there, take chances. If your fans don't like it, so be it. You shouldn't be slave to their wants, as well as love.
  4. 08 Nov '10 20:40
    My wife watches it, so I sort of have to.

    I probalby am bein a little harsh but it was quite embarrasing, did you see it.
  5. 09 Nov '10 12:13
    Originally posted by divegeester
    My wife watches it, so I sort of have to.

    I probalby am bein a little harsh but it was quite embarrasing, did you see it.
    So, when your wife jumps into a pond, do you jump in as well? You're married, not welded together... I hope.

    But no, I didn't see it. When I happen to see Strictly - which is far from always, and most often when it's on in the background while I'm cooking, so I miss a lot anyway - I pay even less attention to the padding. Most of the acts they have on are worse than Brian Ferry in his senility, anyway - Robbie Williams, for starters.

    Richard
  6. 11 Nov '10 08:11
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    So, when your wife jumps into a pond, do you jump in as well? You're married, not welded together... I hope.

    But no, I didn't see it. When I happen to see Strictly - which is far from always, and most often when it's on in the background while I'm cooking, so I miss a lot anyway - I pay even less attention to the padding. Most of the acts they have o ...[text shortened]... e worse than Brian Ferry in his senility, anyway - Robbie Williams, for starters.

    Richard
    Williams was dreadful!

    Did you see him at that Twickenham concert which was broadcast? Camera caught him popping pills and he forgot his lines half way through one number - the boy is a joke.

    Gary Barlow must be nuts letting him back into take-that.