Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

1. 20 Jul '08 05:24
    I saw the new Batman movie tonight.

I think Batman needs to cut back on the Marlboros.

It wouldn't be as cool to hear him say, "The Joker must not win," through an electronic voice synthesizer in his neck.

Any thoughts on the movie?
  2. Standard member Sunburnt
    Leopard Girl
    21 Jul '08 23:37
    Originally posted by epiphinehas

It wouldn't be as cool to hear him say, "The Joker must not win," through an electronic voice synthesizer in his neck.

Agreed. What's up with the ridiculous voice?
  3. Standard member Rapidfyre
    OK SORRY
    22 Jul '08 01:58
    Haven't seen it yet will on thurs is it good?
  4. 22 Jul '08 07:29

i liked the joker so much that i wish he killed batman
  5. 22 Jul '08 15:22

Man, that voice almost ruined the movie for me. It's a bit overdone but I guess how else would one disguise their voice but remain intimidating?

Overall I give the movie an 8 or so based solely on Heath Ledger's strong performance. His performance definitely did not do the Joker an injustice. My hat is off to him.
  6. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    22 Jul '08 15:25
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Overall I give the movie an 8 or so based solely on Heath Ledger's strong performance. His performance definitely did not do the Joker an injustice. My hat is off to him.
    I haven't seen it yet, but the Joker looks terrible in the trailer... He has some big boots to fill. I hope YOUR right.

I have a bad feeling about it, though.
  7. 22 Jul '08 15:58
    Man, that voice almost ruined the movie for me. It's a bit overdone but I guess how else would one disguise their voice but remain intimidating?

I thought it was especially lame when Batman was alone with Lucius in the bat "cave" and still insisted on using his gruff Batman voice. If I was Lucius, I'd be like, "Dude, it's me, Lucius - I know who you are!" And after Batman strode out of the room, I'd be like, "What a douche."

That's just me...
  8. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    22 Jul '08 16:00
    I thought it was especially lame when Batman was alone with Lucius in the bat "cave" and still insisted on using his gruff Batman voice. If I was Lucius, I'd be like, "Dude, it's me, Lucius - I know who you are!" And after Batman strode out of the room, I'd be like, "What a douche."

That's just me...
    Maybe they had to cut on the budget and decided to tweak an old Darth Vader mask.
  9. 22 Jul '08 16:00
    Originally posted by Rapidfyre
    Haven't seen it yet will on thurs is it good?
    It's a phenomenal movie, IMHO.
  10. 22 Jul '08 16:02
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Maybe they had to cut on the budget and decided to tweak an old Darth Vader mask.
    That'd at least be excusable... 🙂
  11. 22 Jul '08 17:32 / 1 edit
    I haven't seen it yet, but the Joker looks terrible in the trailer... He has some big boots to fill. I hope YOUR right.

I have a bad feeling about it, though.
    Best Joker ever - on screen or page.

Nicholson's Joker was no better than Cesar Romero's.
  12. Standard member rbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    22 Jul '08 18:18
    Agreed.
  13. 22 Jul '08 18:39
    This is the most accurate review of the film I've read so far:

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2008/07/21/080721crci_cinema_denby
  14. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    23 Jul '08 07:53
    Ok. 😕

I'm sure you're one of those people that thinks that Batman Begins had been the best of the series until this one.
  15. 23 Jul '08 10:50
    Ok. 😕

I'm sure you're one of those people that thinks that Batman Begins had been the best of the series until this one.
    Have you watched the Tim Burton version lately? Yikes. The years have not been kind...