1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    16 May '19 22:26
    Back in the 70's I stood in line for over 2 hrs. to see Star Wars at the UA 150 Cinema in Seattle. It was so worth it! I had no idea this would go on for over 4 decades, but it seems the end of Star Wars is not far off, as the last installment will hit the screens soon.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-rise-skywalker-title-meaning-rey-anakin-luke/

YouTube
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 May '19 08:26
    @mchill said
    Back in the 70's I stood in line for over 2 hrs. to see Star Wars at the UA 150 Cinema in Seattle. It was so worth it! I had no idea this would go on for over 4 decades, but it seems the end of Star Wars is not far off, as the last installment will hit the screens soon.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-rise-skywalker-title-meaning-rey-anakin-luke/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adzYW5DZoWs
    Do you seriously think that Disney will let the franchise die?

They just spent enough to run a small country on the newest "Land" @ Disney World, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, with two new attractions, "Millenium Falcon: Smuggler's Run" and "Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance".

You can bet they're spending money right now exploring a new SW trilogy. This is going to go on until the end of time.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    17 May '19 08:28
    @Suzianne

Actually they alraedy have spin off versions out..Han and Rogue One.

I don't think there will be new installations of the main plot, but there are alot of sub-plots to explore.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 May '19 08:35
    @ponderable said
    @Suzianne

Actually they alraedy have spin off versions out..Han and Rogue One.

I don't think there will be new installations of the main plot, but there are alot of sub-plots to explore.
    Yep. Solo and Rogue One. Both of them were awesome in explaining details of the canon we've only heard about up to now. I hope the quality stays high as they start to explore new Star Wars stories we've never heard of. The SW universe is quite rich.

And as we've seen from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, as well as all three SW trilogies, the film trilogy is a money maker, and they know it.

But my point is that, now that Disney has the franchise, they are not ever going to let it go. The franchise is by no means "nearing the end".
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    17 May '19 08:41
    @suzianne said

But my point is that, now that Disney has the franchise, they are not ever going to let it go. The franchise is by no means "nearing the end".
    We fully agree here
  6. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    17 May '19 23:26
    @ponderable said
    We fully agree here
    Well, according to the movie previews and synopsis, this is the last installment. I calls em as I sees em.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 May '19 23:57
    @mchill said
    Well, according to the movie previews and synopsis, this is the last installment. I calls em as I sees em.
    Of this trilogy.

Three interconnected movies is a trilogy. This will be the third one, so yeah, the end of this trilogy.

But never fear, there will always be another movie, another trilogy. Disney will make sure of that. They've already invested too much to just drop it.
  8. The World
    Moves
    18 May '19 06:59
    @mchill said
    I understand that George Lucas's original vision was of one long epic, which he split into 3 sections. He then made the middle section, Episodes 4 to 6 inclusive, being A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi.

The start of his vision the became Episodes 1 to 3, and this latest film will round out the third trilogy, so Episodes 7 to 9.

As such, the reviews are correct that this ends Lucas's story, but we all know that Disney rule the entertainment industry with a strong grip of finances, so I imagine that we will continue to have offshoots from the Universe.

Likely would be an underworld story of how Darth Maul became a crime lord, it's been explored in comics before, and we know how much Disney like to make money from comics!
  9. SubscriberBenjamin Barker
    Demon Barber
    Fleet Street
    Moves
    18 May '19 09:361 edit
    @Suzianne
    The first part of the 3rd trilogy is already in development with GoT show runners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '19 10:113 edits
    @paul-a-roberts said

Likely would be an underworld story of how Darth Maul became a crime lord, it's been explored in comics before, and we know how much Disney like to make money from comics!
    This was covered in the animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars (the entire series takes place between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith). His brother's story is nearly as compelling. I understand that 12 episodes of Season 7 have been commissioned and will appear on Disney's new streaming service when it opens in late 2019. From Wikipedia: "Maul will return in season 7 in which he duels Ahsoka Tano during the Siege of Mandalore. He will be portrayed by Ray Park using motion capture."

I'd love to see it in a live format, though.

(Note to Self: Time to look up the animated series Star Wars: Rebels, which picks up the story of Darth Maul, later, between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.)
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '19 10:31
    @benjamin-barker said
    @Suzianne
    The first part of the 3rd trilogy is already in development with GoT show runners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
    Do you mean a fourth trilogy?

Star Wars: IX - The Rise of Skywalker will be released later this year, finishing the third trilogy.

This is the first I've heard of another trilogy, though.
  12. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    19 May '19 01:31
    @suzianne said

Star Wars: IX - The Rise of Skywalker will be released later this year, finishing the third trilogy.

Part of me would like to see Star Wars end the way George Lucas envisioned, on the other hand look how long James Bond has lasted.
  13. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    20 May '19 11:38
    @suzianne said

Disney have several trilogies in the pipeline.
    The two showrunners that completely destroyed Game of Thrones are set to make three movies with releases in 2022, 2024, and 2026.
    Rian Johnson is also working on a trilogy, but that apparently has been delayed after the Star Wars fandom backlash over The Last Jedi and the poor performance of Solo.

I my opinion the Star Wars Universe died with the character destruction of Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi.
  14. SubscriberBenjamin Barker
    Demon Barber
    Fleet Street
    Moves
    20 May '19 13:23
    @Suzianne

Sorry - yes 4th trilogy...
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 May '19 11:56
    As long as these new movies tell new stories. Taking down a shield to destroy a planet destroying weapon has been done to death.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree