The letter thorn

The letter thorn

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
06 Nov 13

I þink þat a revival of the Old/Middle English letter þorn would be fun. Þen we can write like þis. Any þoughts?

Moves
06 Nov 13

Originally posted by Linden Lyons
I þink þat a revival of the Old/Middle English letter þorn would be fun. Þen we can write like þis. Any þoughts?
The letter's still used in Iceland, and they said no one else is allowed to use it. Sorry!

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
07 Nov 13
1 edit

Quite interesting, Linden. How would you write: Grampy Bobby, Boston Lad, Camelot Oasis in Space and Thank you?

Note: Better yet, could you display that entire alphabet in both upper and lower case letters. Thanks. -Bob

Moves
08 Nov 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Quite interesting, Linden. How would you write: Grampy Bobby, Boston Lad, Camelot Oasis in Space and Thank you?

Note: Better yet, could you display that entire alphabet in both upper and lower case letters. Thanks. -Bob
I don't propose any alphabetical or spelling overhaul. I simply find 'Þ, þ' appealing, and will use it as a substitution for 'th' in informal contexts. Perhaps it could eventually become þe 27þ letter?

Generally, I like clear and compact writing. 'Þ', to a small degree, increases compactness wiþout sacrificing clarity.

Moderate evolution, not revolution, of language is important. One might also decide to use þe letter eng (an 'n' with a hook) for 'ng', and 'f' for 'ph', as well as tidying up oþer English-language irregularities, but such drastic change would render English unrecognisable. Just using 'þ' is, I þink, a small and positive step.

I feel þat þe situation is þe same wiþ chess. Þe game has gradually changed over þe centuries, þough little for þe last hundred years or so. Furþer alterations to chess should be small and logical, e.g. Seirawan chess is an intelligent evolution to þe game. It is recognisable as chess in þe way þat a radical variant could not be.

Þis is simply my view. What do oþers þink of evolution vs. revolution in language, chess, or indeed wiþ any oþer topic?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
08 Nov 13

I don't propose any alphabetical or spelling overhaul. I simply find 'Þ, þ' appealing, and will use it as a substitution for 'th' in informal contexts. Perhaps it could eventually become þe 27þ letter?

Generally, I like clear and compact writing. 'Þ', to a small degree, increases compactness wiþout sacrificing clarity.

Moderate evolution, not revo ...[text shortened]... What do oþers þink of evolution vs. revolution in language, chess, or indeed wiþ any oþer topic?
Custom software or keyboard required to replicate these symbols?

Moves
09 Nov 13

Custom software or keyboard required to replicate these symbols?
A good place for 'Þ' on þe keyboard might be immediately to þe right of 'L'. Wiþ a smaller 'enter' key, þe semi-colon and quotation symbols can each be moved one spot to þe right.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
09 Nov 13

A good place for 'Þ' on þe keyboard might be immediately to þe right of 'L'. Wiþ a smaller 'enter' key, þe semi-colon and quotation symbols can each be moved one spot to þe right.
How is that done?

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
10 Nov 13
2 edits

How is that done?
þe whole world redevelops QWERTY for Linden, and his incredible þought provoking idea!

-m. 😉