1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 09:15
    Alan Moore has been collaborating with David J. and Tim Perkins since 1996, doing one-off performances based on Moore's magical concerns and working them up into spoken-word cds afterwards for my, and I hope your, considerable listening pleasure. The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, The Birth Caul and The Highbury Working have been a real shot in the arm for my ears, I tell you.

Read more about it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Highbury_Working

A sample of the words:
    http://thatsmyskull.blogspot.com/2006/03/highbury-working-beat-sance-transcript.html
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 21:511 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Alan Moore has been collaborating with David J. and Tim Perkins since 1996, doing one-off performances based on Moore's magical concerns and working them up into spoken-word cds afterwards for my, and I hope your, considerable listening pleasure. The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, The Birth Caul and The Highbury Wo e words:
    http://thatsmyskull.blogspot.com/2006/03/highbury-working-beat-sance-transcript.html
    Alright, I looked. A bunch of freakin' occultists? What's up with that? Sometimes I think your head ain't screwed on right.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    11 Jun '09 10:19
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Alright, I looked. A bunch of freakin' occultists? What's up with that? Sometimes I think your head ain't screwed on right.
    Alan Moore's quite a bit more than a freakin' occultist. He did 'come out' as a magician in 1994 (I think). But magic is no weirder than Kundalini yoga.

From an informed and informative review of a later spoken word cd, Angel Passage:

Alan Moore is best known for his pioneering work in comics, most notably his occult re-imagining of Jack the Ripper, From Hell, which is about to boost his profile further with the bowdlerised film version featuring Johnny Depp hitting the screen. His talent stretches far further than this, though. Of late he has developed a nice line in psychogeographical séances, spoken word interrogations of the soul of London, tapping into the city's unique undertow of half-forgotten legend, rumour, magic and chaos. London is a city unique for the depth and continuity of its being, accreting layer upon layer of detail, of darkness, of mystery and singular character. For someone so rooted in his hometown of Northampton, Moore has an amazingly strong sense of this spirit, putting him up there with seasoned London hands such as Iain Sinclair and Michael Moorcock, who have an innate radar for the subterranean ebb and flow of the metropolis.

http://www.nthposition.com/angelpassage.php
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Jun '09 09:44
    Alan Moore's quite a bit more than a freakin' occultist. He did 'come out' as a magician in 1994 (I think). But magic is no weirder than Kundalini yoga.

From an informed and informative review of a later spoken word cd, Angel Passage:

Alan Moore is best known for his pioneering work in comics, most notably his occult re-imagining of Jack the Ripp ...[text shortened]... bterranean ebb and flow of the metropolis.

http://www.nthposition.com/angelpassage.php
    Oh, THAT Alan Moore. Watchmen. V for Vendetta. From Hell. Why didn't you say so, m'boy! I had gone to the wikipedia link you provided and this is the first thing you see:

The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels is the name of a group of occultists and performers including writer and magician Alan Moore, Bauhaus member David J, and musician Tim Perkins, who perform occult "workings" consisting of prose poetry set to music. Several of these "workings" have been released onto CD. It was also the name of the group's first performance piece which was released as a spoken word CD in 1996.

The next three paragraphs use the word 'occult' or 'magic' six times in rapid succession, including Moore's 'coming out as a magician.'

As you might imagine, I have a very low tolerance for magic and the occult. I immediately rolled my eyes and wondered what sort of rubbish you were pushing. When I found out which Alan Moore we were dealing with here I was prepared to revise my opinion...until I read some of the lyrics. Although I will concede that perhaps it works better in sound than it does in print, I once again find myself wondering what sort of rubbish you're pushing.

Is there anywhere where one might listen to a sample? Say, on iTunes, or something?
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    12 Jun '09 10:121 edit

Is there anywhere where one might listen to a sample? Say, on iTunes, or something?
    Fair comment. Wikipedia botched my delivery; I was too lazy to write a proper introduction of my own.

The Highbury Working, a sample:
    YouTube&feature=related

Snakes & Ladders, excerpt:
    YouTube
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    13 Jun '09 19:28
    Fair comment. Wikipedia botched my delivery; I was too lazy to write a proper introduction of my own.

The Highbury Working, a sample:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdMHAipa_qs&feature=related

Snakes & Ladders, excerpt:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNaFcOW0FJ0
    Alright, I finally looked at them. I must admit, I liked Snakes and Ladders quite a bit. Highbury Working a bit less so. I have no idea where one might obtain any of this stuff, though. Amazon didn't seem to have anything under $50.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 11:44
    Alright, I finally looked at them. I must admit, I liked Snakes and Ladders quite a bit. Highbury Working a bit less so. I have no idea where one might obtain any of this stuff, though. Amazon didn't seem to have anything under $50.
    Used ones seem to go for around $25. Of course you could always take a left-handed approach to obtaining them.
  8. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    28 Jun '09 21:42
    Used ones seem to go for around $25. Of course you could always take a left-handed approach to obtaining them.
    Has the credit crunch left nothing untouched, not even the price of quim?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree