1. The Hague
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 12:07
    Originally posted by Mark Adkins
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=L5YasjMqoY0

Here's a video of Debussy's "Gardens in the Rain" (Estampes No. 3) as played by a professional pianist, Gerhard Oppitz. He does not play it especially well, and stumbles over it in several places, but he has the tempo about right (a little rushed, but at least not too slow) and does OK much of the time. Unfortu ...[text shortened]... at all known for difficult piano pieces: are you saying that this is not an advanced work?
    I agree with you; Debussy is extremely hard to play well, and he wrote some technically very demanding pieces, like the fireworks-prelude you mentioned before. His 12 Etudes aren't easy, either. They may seem easier than some pieces by other composers like Liszt at first, but as you try to play better, it becomes increasingly harder. The subtleties and various colours the pieces ask for need the highest listening skills and finger and wrist activity possible, which a lot of professional pianists don't even possess.
  2. At the Revolution
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 12:51
    Originally posted by davaniel
    P.S., let's not fight about minor points as long as we all love the brilliancy of the great classical composers.
    All right. Truce. That said, Chopin and Liszt are amazing.
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 15:46
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    for classical pianists, debussy is looked on as a composer who wrote non-challenging pieces... i play a lot of debussy and havent found too many of his works a challenge... though i have never played the feux d'artice...

mozart is also said to be non-challenging.... i wouldnt say bach was either... chopin, rachmaninov and beethoven's works demand more ...[text shortened]... to be virtually unplayable...

btw, because a piece is difficult, it doesn't make it good
    how 'bout Hayden?
  4. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 17:53
    It's easy to play anything poorly, and not so easy to play simple things well. Different techniques are required for different pieces, but ultimately the player's technique must be advanced enough to ensure the artistic expression is unfettered. After that, technique blends into the background.

Most difficult piece? No idea. Just wanted to butt into this thread. But from my experience, "Giant Steps" requires a lot of practice to keep an intelligent phrase going over all the changes. Also, being a bass player, most of the Beatles repertoire is surprisingly difficult to play precisely, especially while singing.
  5. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 18:221 edit
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=L5YasjMqoY0

Here's a video of Debussy's "Gardens in the Rain" (Estampes No. 3) as played by a professional pianist, Gerhard Oppitz. He does not play it especially well, and stumbles over it in several places, but he has the tempo about right (a little rushed, but at least not too slow) and does OK much of the time. Unfortu at all known for difficult piano pieces: are you saying that this is not an advanced work?
    an advanced work? that's an ambiguous statement... in what terms are we talking here... i did say, technically speaking, debussy is not seen as such a challenge as chopin and listz and as a classical/jazz pianist myself, i stand by that statement, though i am not the first to make it...

an advanced work in terms of musical creativity then debussy was very advanced, his music was of an impressionistic nature, complex voicings, very often not resolving to tonic, the use of the whole tone scale, a strong use of the 6th chord, a lot of people attribute this to jazz musicians but it was debussy who popularised the 6th chord; in fact, it was the jazz musicians who looked to the chord voicings of ravel and debussy (their use of the major 7, 11 and 13) for inspiration
  6. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 18:311 edit
    Originally posted by PBE6
    It's easy to play anything poorly, and not so easy to play simple things well. Different techniques are required for different pieces, but ultimately the player's technique must be advanced enough to ensure the artistic expression is unfettered. After that, technique blends into the background.

Most difficult piece? No idea. Just wanted to butt into this he Beatles repertoire is surprisingly difficult to play precisely, especially while singing.
    giant steps is also notoriously difficult to improvise over, it should be played at a quick tempo, the chords change so often; constantly jumping in and out of keys...

i think the best example of a stumbling block for jazz musicians is jobim's "the girl from ipanema"..... written in f, simple chords to improvise over.... all of a sudden the bridge section transposes up a semitone to f#... you spot how many musicians simply go back to playing the tune at this stage
  7. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 18:35
    an advanced work? that's an ambiguous statement... in what terms are we talking here... i did say, technically speaking, debussy is not seen as such a challenge as chopin and listz and as a classical/jazz pianist myself, i stand by that statement, though i am not the first to make it...

an advanced work in terms of musical creativity then debussy was ...[text shortened]... o the chord voicings of ravel and debussy (their use of the major 7, 11 and 13) for inspiration
    It really wasn't ambiguous, considering the context. Anyone who can look at that video and listen to that work, and see Oppitz struggling over it, and not acknowledge it as highly challenging technically, is simply imperceptive. And as has already been pointed out by myself and others, it is scarcely the only such work among Debussy's oeuvre.
  8. Joined
    16 Aug '07
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 02:38
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I don't play a single ****, yet I can bet my *** that the armpit farting is the hardest music to master.
    I can see why you posted under “Culture”. 😀
  9. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 05:01
    john cage's 4'33"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4%E2%80%B233%E2%80%B3
  10. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 09:351 edit
    It really wasn't ambiguous, considering the context. Anyone who can look at that video and listen to that work, and see Oppitz struggling over it, and not acknowledge it as highly challenging technically, is simply imperceptive. And as has already been pointed out by myself and others, it is scarcely the only such work among Debussy's oeuvre.
    it's not a challenging piece - sorry - i can play it - anyone grade 8 or over should not struggle with this piece... it mainly consist of fast arpeggio playing; very often, what looks difficult for a non-pianist is not - he is struggling with interpretation and tempo, not the notes themselves
  11. the highway to hell
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 10:29
    i'd like to hear what people think the most difficult style of music for a musician to play is....

as a musician, i would say jazz and classical are the most technically demanding, jazz due to it's complex harmonies and improvisation and classical for just being so demanding
    that question contains a false assumption because the style is not the point. the difficulty in any piece of music arises out of technical complexity combined with the sensitivity required for the piece.
  12. The Hague
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 11:07
    it's not a challenging piece - sorry - i can play it - anyone grade 8 or over should not struggle with this piece... it mainly consist of fast arpeggio playing; very often, what looks difficult for a non-pianist is not - he is struggling with interpretation and tempo, not the notes themselves
    Above a certain level, everyone is supposed to be able to play any piece. The difficulty of a piece doesn't ly in who's able to play it and who's not, but in being able to play it well. As I posted earlier, Debussy's music is incredibly hard to play well.
    That counts for the no. 3 Estampe 'Jardins sous la Pluie' as well as any other piece he wrote. I can play it; in fact I played it about 8 years ago. But I know that, were I to play it again, it would sure cost me a lot of time to be able to play it really well.
  13. The Hague
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 11:08
    Originally posted by coquette
    john cage's 4'33"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4%E2%80%B233%E2%80%B3
    Nice one 🙂 I like all the special arrangements for different instruments of that piece...
  14. At the Revolution
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 14:04
    Originally posted by davaniel
    Nice one 🙂 I like all the special arrangements for different instruments of that piece...
    I can play that one!
  15. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 22:371 edit
    Instead of admitting that you made a hasty generalization, you just keep digging yourself deeper into a pit of ever more fatuous assertions:

(1) "Anyone grade 8 or over should not struggle with this piece".

Really? Then why was Gerhard Oppitz struggling over it? Here's a link to his bio:

http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Oppitz-Gerhard.htm

For that matter, why do the adult amateurs posting their own performances (some from public recitals) on youtube video do worse than Oppitz, even when they slow the tempo down?

(2) "It consists mainly of fast arpeggio playing"

Evidently you don't know what an arpeggio is, or can't distinguish one from a non-chordal, shifting series of repeated notes. Even so, you ought to be able to acknowledge that arpeggios, if unusual enough, or complex enough (or occurring in a sufficiently complex context), and/or requiring a sufficiently rapid tempo, can present a severe technical challenge.

(3) "Very often, what looks difficult for a non-pianist is not - he is struggling with interpretation and tempo, not the notes themselves"

I can hear Oppitz struggling to get the notes right, and failing, significantly, on several occasions during the piece. And I can see him struggling over it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree