1. Big D
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 16:10
    So I watched Orson Welles' classic film noir, "Touch of Evil," starring Welles, Charlton Heston, Janet Leigh and Marlene Dietrich, this past weekend and was really impressed. For a film with no CGI, it's really fast-paced, well directed, well cast and well acted. Although the studios butchered the theatrical release, I couldn't find fault with the director's cut. And for a 50-year-old film, it was way ahead of its time dealing with important social issues like racism, police corruption, drugs, juvenile delinquency, organized crime, etc.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 21:08
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    So I watched Orson Welles' classic film noir, "Touch of Evil," starring Welles, Charlton Heston, Janet Leigh and Marlene Dietrich, this past weekend and was really impressed. For a film with no CGI, it's really fast-paced, well directed, well cast and well acted. Although the studios butchered the theatrical release, I couldn't find fault with th ...[text shortened]... issues like racism, police corruption, drugs, juvenile delinquency, organized crime, etc.
    The casting of Charlton Heston as the "Mexican" official was pretty bad. Not as bad as John Wayne as Genghis Kahn in " The Conquerer", but still.
  3. Big D
    Moves
    27 Jun '08 17:23
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    The casting of Charlton Heston as the "Mexican" official was pretty bad. Not as bad as John Wayne as Genghis Kahn in " The Conquerer", but still.
    That was about the only drawback I saw as well. I wonder if Ricardo Montalban was ever considered for the role?
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    27 Jun '08 18:25
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    John Wayne played Ghengis Khan??

Oh God, I'm gonna have to see that flick!
  5. Big D
    Moves
    27 Jun '08 18:49
    Originally posted by shavixmir

It's pretty bad -- don't waste your time.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '08 21:124 edits
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    That was about the only drawback I saw as well. I wonder if Ricardo Montalban was ever considered for the role?
    I'd guess that Heston, like Wayne, was placed in the role for name recognition. No "name", no film. That's Hollywood for you.

Artistically, Montalban would have been a much better choice.

Come to think of it, Eli Wallach would have been an interesting choice. That guy had some serious range. He could have pulled it off, whereas Heston just didn't have the chops.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '08 21:18

It's really bad, but I suspect that therein lies the attraction for you.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Jun '08 22:26

YouTube

And you talked smack about youtube.
  9. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    02 Jul '08 20:53
    See The Lady From Shanghai.

My fav is The Third Man, however.

If you really want to depress yourself, see Welles' Macbeth -- way over the top

But, then, he was trying to out Olivier Olivier

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree