Traveling to South Africa

Traveling to South Africa

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
05 Feb 09

I'll be in Durban, South Africa for a week during the end of May and wonder if there's anyone out there that lives or has traveled in the area that can recommend food, music, pubs, must sees, day trips, etc.

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
05 Feb 09

Originally posted by Traveling Again
I'll be in Durban, South Africa for a week during the end of May and wonder if there's anyone out there that lives or has traveled in the area that can recommend food, music, pubs, must sees, day trips, etc.
Central:

Wilson's Wharf - Watch ships and pleasure craft pass by as you enjoy a meal and drinks. Beautiful at night with the harbour lights reflected off the water.
Bean Bag Bohemia - Interesting people, art on the walls. Good food above, drunken revelry below.
Indian Connection - With a large Indian population Durban is known for good curry. A bit Spartan inside - order take away.
Florida Road - Plenty of restaurants, bars, art galleries. Mo's Noodles and Spiga d'Oro for excellent food.
uShaka Marine World - Where all the tourists go. Splash about on the slides or go 'eyeball to eyeball' with a Ragged Tooth shark.
Roma Revolving Restaurant - Twenty years past it's prime but good food and a panoramic view of the city and harbour make up for it.
Umhlanga Beach - 25km outside Durban. Take a brolly and enjoy paradise.

Day Trips:

African Raptor Centre - Ashburton, 75km outside Durban.
Zinkwazi - Sleepy little beach town about an hour and a half away from the city.
Krantzkloof Nature Reserve - You won't see the Big Five here but this reserve offers a vast number of species of fauna and flora.
Karkloof Canopy Tours - Go whizzing along a zip line above the trees. The longest line is over 170m!

Events:

Comrades Marathon - Takes place on the 24th of May. Watch crazy people flirt with death over their 95km ordeal.
The Sardine Run - With a bit of luck you'll see the start of the incredible annual sardine migration known as the Sardine Run. Sharks, dolphins, cormorants, sea gulls all try to get in on the act.

May is going into the cooler part of the year but Durban has a very mild winter. Hope you have a good time!

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
05 Feb 09

Originally posted by Green Paladin

May is going into the cooler part of the year but Durban has a very mild winter. Hope you have a good time!
Must sees?

Didn't you leave out the Point?

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
05 Feb 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Must sees?

Didn't you leave out the Point?
I'm sure I've left out lots of things. Though the Point looks a bit like a construction site with the widening of the harbour mouth. Anyway, he'll be able to see that when he's at uShaka Marine World.

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
05 Feb 09

Originally posted by Green Paladin
[b]Central:

Wilson's Wharf - Watch ships and pleasure craft pass by as you enjoy a meal and drinks. Beautiful at night with the harbour lights reflected off the water.
Bean Bag Bohemia - Interesting people, art on the walls. Good food above, drunken revelry below.
Indian Connection - With a large Indian population Durban ...[text shortened]... he cooler part of the year but Durban has a very mild winter. Hope you have a good time![/b]
Thanks! Just what I was looking for.

I'm finding mixed information about whether I should rent a car or not. Can I get around to all these places fine by bus or train or taxi? I'd prefer not to rent a car.

Ha ha, I'm one of the crazies running Comrades. 🙂 I'm always especially excited about the food when I travel. I'm looking forward to it. I've been hoping to make this trip for a couple years now.

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
05 Feb 09

Originally posted by Traveling Again
Thanks! Just what I was looking for.

I'm finding mixed information about whether I should rent a car or not. Can I get around to all these places fine by bus or train or taxi? I'd prefer not to rent a car.

Ha ha, I'm one of the crazies running Comrades. 🙂 I'm always especially excited about the food when I travel. I'm looking forward to it. I've been hoping to make this trip for a couple years now.
Probably best to rent a car if you can afford it. Our public transport system is a shambles.

http://www.budget.co.za/

Alternatively, if you stay at a hotel in the Florida Road area you can go to restaurants and bars by shanks's pony [also good if you've had a few ales] and then catch a taxi to the beach, uShaka etc. for the day time activities.

http://www.quarters.co.za/

It's a down run this year [Pietermaritzburg to Durban] and Ashburton and Karkloof are fairly close to Pietermaritzburg so maybe you could incorporate them into your trip.
You must try our authentic Durban 'bunny' which consists of a quarter loaf of bread with the soft part of the bread removed, the loaf is then turned onto it's end and filled with curry and the centre placed on top.