Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    10 Oct '10 15:27
    John Berger's seminal Ways of Seeing, a four part documentary that spawned a book of the same name, is now available to watch, courtesy of the ever-brilliant ubuweb:

    http://www.ubu.com/film/berger_seeing.html
  2. Standard member Marcusr
    Bat Chain Puller
    16 Oct '10 00:19 / 1 edit
    Watched the first programme the other day and shall watch the rest.

    Alos bought Kenneth Clark's 'Civilisation' on DVD a few months ago - utterly captivating in its entirety. Why can't we make programmes like that anymore?
  3. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    16 Oct '10 07:49
    Originally posted by Marcusr
    Watched the first programme the other day and shall watch the rest.

    Alos bought Kenneth Clark's 'Civilisation' on DVD a few months ago - utterly captivating in its entirety. Why can't we make programmes like that anymore?
    How about the BBC's recent Life? I'd like to think that it will stand the test of time as well as either Ways of Seeing or Civilisation...
  4. Standard member Marcusr
    Bat Chain Puller
    16 Oct '10 12:54
    Originally posted by DrKF
    How about the BBC's recent Life? I'd like to think that it will stand the test of time as well as either Ways of Seeing or Civilisation...
    True, but then Attenborough is essentially a relic from a previous era - in the best ways possible, of course.
  5. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    16 Oct '10 19:41
    Originally posted by Marcusr
    True, but then Attenborough is essentially a relic from a previous era - in the best ways possible, of course.


    Matthew Collins has a new one on the Renaissance starting tomorrow - it might not be quite up to those lofty standards, but it is quality programming...
  6. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    17 Oct '10 12:22 / 2 edits
    And before all that was Jacob Bronowski, The Ascent of Man. Great series.
    Well I guess it was a bit after Clark.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ascent_of_Man