1. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 15:27
    John Berger's seminal Ways of Seeing, a four part documentary that spawned a book of the same name, is now available to watch, courtesy of the ever-brilliant ubuweb:

http://www.ubu.com/film/berger_seeing.html
  2. Standard memberMarcusr
    Bat Chain Puller
    Gone
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 00:191 edit
    Watched the first programme the other day and shall watch the rest.

Alos bought Kenneth Clark's 'Civilisation' on DVD a few months ago - utterly captivating in its entirety. Why can't we make programmes like that anymore?
  3. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 07:49
    Originally posted by Marcusr
    Watched the first programme the other day and shall watch the rest.

Alos bought Kenneth Clark's 'Civilisation' on DVD a few months ago - utterly captivating in its entirety. Why can't we make programmes like that anymore?
    How about the BBC's recent Life? I'd like to think that it will stand the test of time as well as either Ways of Seeing or Civilisation...
  4. Standard memberMarcusr
    Bat Chain Puller
    Gone
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 12:54
    Originally posted by DrKF
    How about the BBC's recent Life? I'd like to think that it will stand the test of time as well as either Ways of Seeing or Civilisation...
    True, but then Attenborough is essentially a relic from a previous era - in the best ways possible, of course.
  5. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 19:41
    Originally posted by Marcusr
    True, but then Attenborough is essentially a relic from a previous era - in the best ways possible, of course.
    🙂

Matthew Collins has a new one on the Renaissance starting tomorrow - it might not be quite up to those lofty standards, but it is quality programming...
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Oct '10 12:222 edits
    And before all that was Jacob Bronowski, The Ascent of Man. Great series.
    Well I guess it was a bit after Clark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ascent_of_Man

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree