Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    04 Jun '08 01:42
    Today we lost two music icons, one in American folk music, U Utah Phillips and in American Blues, Bo Diddley. They both set standards, RIP.
  2. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    04 Jun '08 02:07
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Today we lost two music icons, one in American folk music, U Utah Phillips and in American Blues, Bo Diddley. They both set standards, RIP.
    I had the great fortune to have seen Utah Phillips perform twice. He was one of a kind.
  3. Standard member rbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    04 Jun '08 02:39
    Bo Diddley died? I hadn't heard that. I saw him maybe 10 years ago, browsing in a headshop in Greenwich Village.
  4. 04 Jun '08 08:02
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I had the great fortune to have seen Utah Phillips perform twice. He was one of a kind.
    remember barry white ? he must have been 2 or 3 of a kind
  5. Subscriber gregsflat
    William Penn's gaze
    04 Jun '08 14:47
    Bo Diddley established his own rhythm that is now a standard groove in rock and blues. Can't think of any other musician that is known for establishing a particular rhythm.

Another musician from the Jazz ranks has also departed, Jimmy McGriff, organist.
  6. Donation kirksey957
    Outkast
    05 Jun '08 01:39
    Originally posted by gregsflat
    Bo Diddley established his own rhythm that is now a standard groove in rock and blues. Can't think of any other musician that is known for establishing a particular rhythm.

Another musician from the Jazz ranks has also departed, Jimmy McGriff, organist.
    And Danny Federici of E Street Band fame.