Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I mean Tarantino in general.
    Ah. I see it's personal.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 13:19
    Brothers Bloom. One of the films of the year for me.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 13:53
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Ah. I see it's personal.
    Joking.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 14:09
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Last night I watched once again 'The Devil in Mrs. Jones'

Classic!
    Miss Jones. Classic indeed! I like the snake scene best.
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 21:08
    Russian Ark - entire film shot in one take using one camera. I can imagine there was some serious organising going on to achieve it and particularly as loads of people are involved. Great film if you like your Russian history. Okay it doesn't have much of a plot and is basically an advert for the Hermitage museum tourism board but I thought it was thoroughly gorgeous.
  6. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 09:57
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    Russian Ark - entire film shot in one take using one camera. I can imagine there was some serious organising going on to achieve it and particularly as loads of people are involved. Great film if you like your Russian history. Okay it doesn't have much of a plot and is basically an advert for the Hermitage museum tourism board but I thought it was thoroughly gorgeous.
    An incredible piece - breathtaking in its originality and ambition, and well worth watching multiple times as you will get more out of it with repeated viewings. Filmed in the Hermitage and, as noted, filmed in one take.

It was recorded in digital, and wins the single take record in that format.

For non-digital, the superlative Hunger wins the non-digital single-take award, for the scene with the conversation between the striker and the priest.

Although I saw it ages ago, I recommend Hunger to everyone - particularly, but certainl;y not only, if you have any interest in the history of Northern ireland.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 10:44
    LOL, nobody remembers Timecode.
  8. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 11:33
    Originally posted by Palynka
    LOL, nobody remembers Timecode.
    Ha! I had forgotten that... Russian Ark still beats it, just - but the Hunger scene, impressive as it is, doesn't seem to come close!
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 11:43
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Ha! I had forgotten that... Russian Ark still beats it, just - but the Hunger scene, impressive as it is, doesn't seem to come close!
    😉

Personally, I'm not a big fan of both Timecode and RA. They're interesting films because of the conceptual idea but, ultimately, the end result didn't work for me. Still RA is a good view (mostly because the Hermitage is gorgeous), but not one for my Pantheon.
  10. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 20:22
    Originally posted by DrKF
    An incredible piece - breathtaking in its originality and ambition, and well worth watching multiple times as you will get more out of it with repeated viewings. Filmed in the Hermitage and, as noted, filmed in one take.

It was recorded in digital, and wins the single take record in that format.

For non-digital, the superlative Hunger wins the non ...[text shortened]... ticularly, but certainl;y not only, if you have any interest in the history of Northern ireland.
    I love the scene with Nicholas II and the family - the camera views from the doorway as they're seen slightly out of focus, bathed in an ethereal white light, before the camera moves back out and carries on down the hall.

Thanks for reminding me - still not caught Hunger yet.

Okay change of tack: Bad Santa!

'Your name's Thurman? Your name's Thurman Merman?..... Jesus'

Brilliant 😵
  11. Standard memberlovebonovox
    Chasing the moon
    Right out of the sky
    Moves
    23 Dec '09 15:13
    Twilight Saga- New Moon.
    I don't care what anyone says, I love them.

Boondock Saints 2.
    It's no original, but I love the concept.

Very much want to see the following:
    ~Brothers
    ~Avatar
    ~Sherlock Holmes. Normally I'd go see this on Christmas Day but I've been told I have to wait 😛
  12. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 19:10
    I saw Up in the Air. First class production in all respects. The plot is secondary to the message, some won't get that and will be critical. So if you are totally plot and action driven - skip this movie. But a solid movie in my view.
  13. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 19:29
    Saw Crazy Heart starring Jeff Bridges.

Bridges was fantastic - a sure fire Oscar nod.

The 1st third of the movie was wonderfully captivating. The 2nd half of the flick dropped off to a much slower and melodramatic pace, but Bridges made it worthwhile.
  14. Standard memberlovebonovox
    Chasing the moon
    Right out of the sky
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 20:36
    I just watched "Sin City" for the first time. What a gorgeous film!
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Dec '09 05:40
    Originally posted by lovebonovox
    I just watched "Sin City" for the first time. What a gorgeous film!
    Did anyone see District 9? My wife does not like sci fi movies in general but loved this one, how long before the sequel do you think?
    BTW, why wasn't 'the fountain' on the worse of the decade movie list? I sort of liked 'all about steve', glad it was one of the first on the list of worse of decade which meant there are others way worse! Like that Segal puker, no saving grace in that one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree