1. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 00:53
    What is it about reading that you love? I found that when I meet people, or see people I haven't seen in a while I usually ask what they are reading or recently finished. When friends say the stopped reading because of time or whatnot I am kind of disappointed in them. What I love about reading is the mental exercise of imagining a different world/place/time. I'm not trying to come off as snobby and there are lots of movies I love, I just think books really work the mind, and no two people "see" the same story in a book.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 12:23
    The part I like the best is that it makes me feel superior to those who don't read often.
  3. Out there somewhere
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 14:43
    I love the fact that you can live a 1000 different lives through reading, see places you never could see, do things you never could do yourself.

Since we don't have the global neural network that Phillip K Dick wrote about in Do Androids Dream of Electric sheep, it's the nearest thing we can get to connecting to the global consciousness.

And I just love a good story.
  4. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 14:50
    Originally posted by Palynka
    The part I like the best is that it makes me feel superior to those who don't read often.
    You must be a real dick if that is why you read. Looking at your posts I see I'm correct.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 16:471 edit
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    You must be a real dick if that is why you read. Looking at your posts I see I'm correct.
    Evidently, you need more mental exercise than just reading if you can't recognize how my post reflects your initial one.
  6. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 17:342 edits
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Evidently, you need more mental exercise than just reading if you can't recognize how my post reflects your initial one.
    So you believe disappointed equates to superiority?
    Like I said, you're a dick.
    A trolling one at that.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 19:28
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    So you believe disappointed equates to superiority?
    Like I said, you're a dick.
    A trolling one at that.
    It shows they don't live up to your expectations and it shows that, in your mind, they would be inferior with respect to an equivalent person who reads.

You even admit it sounded snobbish.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree