1. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 23:581 edit
    Don't know if we have enough folks over age fifty to get any voting in on this topic, but I'll put it out there. 😛

I was reading the comments generated by Karen Carpenter's version of 'Johnny Angel' and noticed roughly a 50/50 split on whether she did it better or worse than the years-earlier version by Shelley Fabares.

YouTube

YouTube

The upper link goes to Karen C, the lower to Shelley F.

I will withhold my opinion for a time.
  2. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 10:34
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    Don't know if we have enough folks over age fifty to get any voting in on this topic, but I'll put it out there. 😛

I was reading the comments generated by Karen Carpenter's version of 'Johnny Angel' and noticed roughly a 50/50 split on whether she did it better or worse than the years-earlier version by Shelley Fabares.

http://www.youtube.com/w ...[text shortened]... he upper link goes to Karen C, the lower to Shelley F.

50/50 split Karens a better singer but it sounds overproduced Shelley's version just seems to fit.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 12:542 edits

http://www.youtube.com/w ...[text shortened]... he upper link goes to Karen C, the lower to Shelley F.

I see what you mean about KC, but Shelly's version has some kind of weird audio problem, I went to it twice and it came out the same both times, could not hear much of anything, just like 99% of the signal was distorted almost out of recognition. Will try backing out, closing everything, coming back in, see if that changes.

I found this, an actual video from 1961:

YouTube

Audio is perfect, black and white video.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    08 Jul '14 01:072 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I found this, an actual video from 1961:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwIYSofgpY0
    Thanks for that link to Shelley. That is better in sound quality to my link and is the one that should be used to compare to the Karen version.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    09 Jul '14 01:33
    One of the YouTube comments is, "I had a friend who told me he had heard some expert say that the two most distinctive female singing voices of the 20th century were Ella Fitzgerald and Karen Carpenter."

That may well be, but my opinion is that 'Johnny Angel' is a song centered on youthful longing, and Shelley Fabares at eighteen had a voice that could put that across. Karen Carpenter did not at twenty-three. Heck, she probably didn't even at fourteen, her voice matured so early.
  6. Wat?
    Moves
    13 Jul '14 12:51
    One of the YouTube comments is, "I had a friend who told me he had heard some expert say that the two most distinctive female singing voices of the 20th century were Ella Fitzgerald and Karen Carpenter."

That may well be, but my opinion is that 'Johnny Angel' is a song centered on youthful longing, and Shelley Fabares at eighteen had a voice that ...[text shortened]... did not at twenty-three. Heck, she probably didn't even at fourteen, her voice matured so early.
    Streisand doesn't fit into a 20th century distinctive voice?
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    13 Jul '14 18:40
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Streisand doesn't fit into a 20th century distinctive voice?
    She might make the top ten for distinctiveness.

Then there's Diana Ross, Timi Yuro, and Nana Mouskouri.
  8. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 02:01

I'm 59 and think Karen did a pretty good job on this one. Was it better than the earlier one? Who knows. I liked the Carperters, my only complaint was they depended too much on the music of others, rather than writing their own songs. The Carpenters music was a bit too stickey sweet for me, but I'll have to admit...Karen had the voice of angels!🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree