1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 19:575 edits
    I'm a big fan of stand-up comedy and there are certain albums or one-time performances that I have watched and listened to several times over. I'm always looking for more so your recommendations, please.

My favourites, in order:

1. Bill Hicks - Relentless LP

Posthumous release featuring a compilation of his best material. Bill Hicks crafted a style all his own that has been ripped off and liberated by many. An abrasive and relentless style where nothing is sacred and no one is safe.

2. Dave Chappelle's For What It's Worth DVD

My favourite performance of recent memory. 60 mins where not a single minute drags or is unfunny. In my opinion, the best set as a whole that I have ever heard. His TV show was hit or miss and his fame because of it made all of his future work suffer but in this performance his material, timing, storytelling and delivery are at their best.

3. Louis CK - Shameless HBO Special

Louis' crude observational humour is cringeworthy but hilarious. His strained marriage and child-rearing bits are probably the best in that topic. His prolificness is unrivaled. His unique vignette-based TV show is one of the best things going. Your look into his life without any filters makes this comic a special talent.

4. Anthony Jeselnik - Shakespeare LP

Shock humour at its most cutting. Not for everyone. One-liner humour with absolutely punishing punchlines covering the most taboo of subjects.

5. Jim Gaffigan - Beyond the Pale DVD/LP

A one-time performance done that collected his most memorable material over the year, 90% of which are about food. A clean comedian who uses no profanity and gets laughs on the sole basis of his relate-able material. A rare talent. Sadly his newer material tends to be more unfocused and spotty. (www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN3q-iKMHI0)

6. Doug Stanhope - Die Laughing LP

An abrasive and offensive genius. No other way to put it other than terrible, crude, disgusting but entirely human. A comic's comic and one of the best and most prolific today.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 17:10
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I'm a big fan of stand-up comedy and there are certain albums or one-time performances that I have watched and listened to several times over. I'm always looking for more so your recommendations, please.

My favourites, in order:

Posthumous release featuring a compilation of his best material. Bill Hicks crafted a sty ...[text shortened]... de, disgusting but entirely human. A comic's comic and one of the best and most prolific today.
    I'll go with Tom Lehrer and Bill Cosby.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 20:421 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay

My favourites, in order:

Posthumous release featuring a compilation of his best material. Bill Hicks crafted a sty ...[text shortened]... de, disgusting but entirely human. A comic's comic and one of the best and most prolific today.
    I tend to prefer panel-game comedies on BBC radio and TV rather than stand up. I have listened to the Bill Hicks albums, which I didn't like. I found him rather sick, even if he very good at pressing the right buttons to press to get laughs.

Doug Stanhope, however, appeared on a couple of brilliant UK series by Charlie Brooker, accompanied by the Larghetto from Beethoven's 7th which perfectly his slow volcanic buildup and subsequent majestic eruption. I thought he was a genius.

I think the shows were Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe and How TV Ruined Your Life. Worth catching even if you're not British.

Another stand up I liked was English comedian Boothby Graffoe. I don't know if he still tours, and he is not all that famous, but he had a very nice line in comedy songs. I did see him live somewhere after his first album was released, and he was superb.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree