1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 14:58
    Gas prices are too low. There should be a gas tax to make up the difference between the market price and $4/gallon. The tax revenues can be used to fund electric car research or given back to the people in the form of tax credits. (Or maybe to shrink the deficit... nah... who wants to do that?)

If that happens, you'll see the Chevy Volts of the world and alternative energy development solve the "problem" in a few years.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 15:044 edits
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Whodey also pointed out that Obama may be advocating policies that lead to a rise in prices and may actually be happy about the increase in prices. If people make decision based on prices, will it decrease travel? will it have a negative effect on the economy?[/b]
    Will it hurt the economy? Well Japan just recently abandon cap and trade due to current unemployment rates. Why? It is because businesses will just continue to flee across the border to the land of the free to countries like Red China. In addition, everything you buy will be effected. After all, everything you buy has to go from point A to point B and costs X number of dollars. Make no mistake, the average Joe will be paying the difference. So enjoy higher unemployment and higher prices for everything you buy coupled by an inflating dollar whose value decreases every day. Did I fail to mention doubling energy prices across the board and increasing health care premiums with Obamacare? Geesh!! Maybe if we punish people enough they will run out design carbon free vehicles and carbon free ways to heat and cool their homes. After all, it worked in Europe didn't it? Woops, my bad, they just pay higher prices and use a little less of it as a result until the end of time I suppose. Maybe we should just buy coats for our families to wear inside the house during the winter and turn the thermostat to 60 degrees. Then in the summer we could dig a hole in the back yard and fill it with water and just jump in any time we need releif from the heat.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 15:092 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    Gas prices are too low. There should be a gas tax to make up the difference between the market price and $4/gallon. The tax revenues can be used to fund electric car research or given back to the people in the form of tax credits. (Or maybe to shrink the deficit... nah... who wants to do that?)

If that happens, you'll see the Chevy Volts of the world and alternative energy development solve the "problem" in a few years.
    Is the price of bread too low? How about the price for milk? How about the price for anything you buy? Everything will go up when gas is increased.

Having said that, I simply don't understand the mentality that taxes of any kind are too low. After all, taxes "TAX" the economy. It is inherently detrimental to any type of economic growth. As for the debt, no one cares about that anymore. In fact, I'm thinking the next president will have to double what they are spending now with all the government growth that has occured in just two years.

It really just boggles my mind. First you have Obama come out and say that the Bush tax cuts are needed so that the economy will not go back into another horrible dip. Then he comes out and champions policies that will increase taxes across the board with schemes like cap and trade. What exactly is the difference?
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 15:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    But that was the Democrats reaction when "W" was in office and gas hit the $3 level. Now when it happens again a few years later, there is no outcry. In fact, all I get here are people who are singing the praises of $5/gallon gas.
    I think we can all agree that both sides of the aisle have displayed high levels of hypocrisy on almost any issue for as long as politics itself has existed. And until the voters make it a top priority to crack down on hypocrisy, it will continue to exist.
  5. Garner, NC
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 15:21
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Yes i understand that Whodey, but does Mr Obama set the prices for oil, gas , electricity? If not then why are you basing your argument on these elements as if he did? Its simply another attempt to politicise something has has very little to do with the Obama administration, like trying to blame the greed of bankers and the crisis that ensued on the ...[text shortened]... its Mr Obamas fault because he wants cleaner energy? Is that really what you are trying to say?
    I don't think the gist of this was that Obama controls oil prices, although one could argue that he has some control. But I think it is fair to say that Obama doesn't have less control over oil prices than W.

The article is about the media more so than it is about oil prices. I don't blame Obama for $3 gas prices anymore than I blamed W for $3 gas prices. But it is disturbing just how different the media is handling it now than it did before. The discussion is about the media, and so far I don't think there has been a single reply to the OP that seems to grasp that that was the main point.
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 15:22
    Is the price of bread too low? How about the price for milk? How about the price for anything you buy? Everything will go up when gas is increased.

Having said that, I simply don't understand the mentality that taxes of any kind are too low. After all, taxes "TAX" the economy. It is inherently detrimental to any type of economic growth. As for the de ...[text shortened]... ase taxes across the board with schemes like cap and trade. What exactly is the difference?
    It is not just that we pay more for bread and milk. Perhaps it becomes less fresh. Perhaps we all go on vacation less. Certain forms of commerce become not worth it due to price. There are lots of negatives especially for the less affluent (which so many people on this site seems to care so much about)
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 15:24
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I think we can all agree that both sides of the aisle have displayed high levels of hypocrisy on almost any issue for as long as politics itself has existed. And until the voters make it a top priority to crack down on hypocrisy, it will continue to exist.
    But its not just about the hypocrisy of the politicians. We all expect that. What is even more disturbing is the reaction from the press. Why the hyporicsy unless they are bought and owned by the progressives.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 15:26
    Originally posted by quackquack
    It is not just that we pay more for bread and milk. Perhaps it becomes less fresh. Perhaps we all go on vacation less. Certain forms of commerce become not worth it due to price. There are lots of negatives especially for the less affluent (which so many people on this site seems to care so much about)
    Of course we will do everything "less" or not at all. That is the progressive goal. Simply put, they want you to be able to afford enough food to survive and enough fuel to make it to work every day. Everything else is a luxuary.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 15:27
    Originally posted by techsouth
    I don't think the gist of this was that Obama controls oil prices, although one could argue that he has some control. But I think it is fair to say that Obama doesn't have [b]less control over oil prices than W.

The article is about the media more so than it is about oil prices. I don't blame Obama for $3 gas prices anymore than I blamed W for $3 ...[text shortened]... nk there has been a single reply to the OP that seems to grasp that that was the main point.[/b]
    The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are another example of the hypocrisy of the media. It is was really war that they hated, they would be after Obama just like they were "W". But alas, not a peep is made.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 15:292 edits

Having said that, I simply don't understand the mentality that taxes of any kind are too low. After all, taxes "TAX" the economy. It is inherently detrimental to any type of economic growth. As for the de ase taxes across the board with schemes like cap and trade. What exactly is the difference?
    I'm not going to sit here and tell you Obama is consistent (he's not). But taxes are too low when they are insufficient to cover government expenditures. To balance the two, you can raise taxes, cut spending or a combination.

Bread and milk are not "too cheap." But there is some room for them to go up without being too oppressive. Around here, a gallon of milk costs about $3.39. We go through about 2 gallons a week (with 3 kids). In the grand scheme of things, that's just not a lot of money. If it went up to, say, $3.89, it would cost us about $50 a year. If the same happened to every other staple, such as bread and butter, etc., we're looking at a couple of hundred dollars a year. Considering that my health insurance premiums have doubled in the past 5 years, costing me an extra $500 a MONTH, that's just not a tremendous hit. It's less than the difference between sticking with my 32 inch HDTV and upgrading to a 46 inch TV with 3D capability.

If I have to stick with my excellent TV rather than upgrading to a fantastic one to reduce our dependence on foreign oil and help save the environment, I'll make that sacrifice.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 15:32
    [b]I'm not going to sit here and tell you Obama is consistent (he's not). But taxes are too low when they are insufficient to cover government expenditures. To balance the two, you can raise taxes, cut spending or a combination.
    What a second. You really expect me to swallow the notion that taxes should be sufficient to cover government expenditures? When is the last time this happened?

Progressives know that if this were the case, they could not advance their agenda. After all, if the American people had to actually pay for thier policies, they would all be thrown out of office in a heart beat. This is what encourages me about the energy taxes. EVERYONE will be painfully aware of what they are paying at the pumps on a daily bases as well as heathing and cooling their homes. For the fist time, Americans will experience the devestating effects of progressive policies.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 15:35
    If I have to stick with my excellent TV rather than upgrading to a fantastic one to reduce our dependence on foreign oil and help save the environment, I'll make that sacrifice.[/b]
    So apparently you buy the notion that increasing energy prices will help save the planet, am I hearing you right?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 15:371 edit
    [Bread and milk are not "too cheap." But there is some room for them to go up without being too oppressive. Around here, a gallon of milk costs about $3.39. We go through about 2 gallons a week (with 3 kids). In the grand scheme of things, that's just not a lot of money. If it went up to, say, $3.89, it would cost us about $50 a year. If the same happened to every erence between sticking with my 32 inch HDTV and upgrading to a 46 inch TV with 3D capability.
    You are saying this as you make a decent salary are you not? What about the American family who is about to lose their home? What about the American family who cannot afford to feed themselves any longer? What about the 9% unemployed? What about American businesses who are faced with shuting down or moving overseas?

Woops, I forgot about the never ending unemployment benefits and welfare state, my bad.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 15:40
    So apparently you buy the notion that increasing energy prices will help save the planet, am I hearing you right?
    I would rather state is that I think that increasing energy prices MIGHT help save the planet.

I'm not 100% convinced that global warming is primarily man made, but I think there's a strong chance that it is. The free market will solve the problem if engineered correctly. At low energy prices, there's simply no incentive for the free market to find alternatives. The free market does not correct for externalities such as CO2 emissions, especially when those externalities are so foggy.

Engineer higher energy prices and the free market will find alternatives that all the government spending in the world will fail to do.
  15. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 15:42
    I'm not going to sit here and tell you Obama is consistent (he's not). But taxes are too low when they are insufficient to cover government expenditures. To balance the two, you can raise taxes, cut spending or a combination.

Bread and milk are not "too cheap." But there is some room for them to go up without being too oppressive. Around here, a gallon of mi ...[text shortened]... our dependence on foreign oil and help save the environment, I'll make that sacrifice.
    I don't think the analysis should be based on your two gallons of milk a week and the fact that if you paid slightly more you would not care. Perhaps the local dairy barn goes out of business because they are dependent on milk and if it is not as fresh and more expensive and people drive less they are not able to survive. Some people travel long distances (salesmen, traveling large animal doctors). Some people depend on cars automechanics etc. It likely has a huge effect on our economy (and perhaps you are willing to make the sacrifice) and I can see why some would be outraged.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree