$3 gas prices, where is the outrage?

$3 gas prices, where is the outrage?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
07 Jan 11

Oil is a finite resource for which there is growing global demand. That spells increased prices given the laws of supply and demand. In the long run, there is nothing that can be done to change this but to decrease consumption.

Planet Rain

Moves
07 Jan 11

Originally posted by sh76
Gas prices are too low. There should be a gas tax to make up the difference between the market price and $4/gallon. The tax revenues can be used to fund electric car research or given back to the people in the form of tax credits. (Or maybe to shrink the deficit... nah... who wants to do that?)

If that happens, you'll see the Chevy Volts of the world and alternative energy development solve the "problem" in a few years.
Your augmented tax should also be used for what the current (pathetically meager) tax on gas is used for: infrastructure improvements. It makes sense that the more you drive the more you should pay to maintain the roads.

Planet Rain

Moves
07 Jan 11

Originally posted by whodey
Economically speaking, the free market will find the best solution. However, when other factors are entered into the equation...
My God. I have lived so long!

M

Moves
07 Jan 11

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
The minimum is zero taxes and zero government. Do you, or do you not, think that lowering taxes increases economic output? If you believe this, economic output will be maximized with no government.
The idea is that whatever goals government is seeking to meet, we should be looking for a way to attain these goals with the minimum amount of taxation or regulation -- while still being able to effectively meet the goals. So obviously, "minimal government" doesn't mean zero government.

K

Germany

Moves
07 Jan 11

Originally posted by Melanerpes
The idea is that whatever goals government is seeking to meet, we should be looking for a way to attain these goals with the minimum amount of taxation or regulation -- while still being able to effectively meet the goals. So obviously, "minimal government" doesn't mean zero government.
No, but what whodey is saying does imply zero government. I think that many government services add value, e.g. a police force, and this service cannot be provided in the free market. Therefore the assumption that reducing taxes always increases economic output (assuming a balanced budget) is false if one accepts my premise.

Planet Rain

Moves
07 Jan 11

e.g. a police force, and this service cannot be provided in the free market.
Sure it can. It's called the mafia. And once you fail to pay your "protection money," they whack you and you're recycled as fish food. Efficient and good for the environment.

w

Moves
08 Jan 11

Originally posted by no1marauder
Good idea; that's what the bill passed by the House did:

•Requires electric utilities to meet 20 percent of their electricity demand through renewable energy sources and energy efficiency by 2020.
•[b]Invests $190 billion in new clean energy technologies and energy efficiency, including energy efficiency and renewable energy ($90 ...[text shortened]... p://www.environmentalleader.com/2009/06/28/house-narrowly-passes-climate-bill-reaction-roundup/
Your link is a dud.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
08 Jan 11

Your link is a dud.
Works for me; you're probably doing something stupid like not copying the whole address.

K

Germany

Moves
08 Jan 11

Works for me; you're probably doing something stupid like not copying the whole address.
Perhaps whodey has a "progressive" filter installed in his browser.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
08 Jan 11

Oil is a finite resource for which there is growing global demand. That spells increased prices given the laws of supply and demand. In the long run, there is nothing that can be done to change this but to decrease consumption.
I don't know that your analysis of the situation could be more off the mark. Barrel pricing fluctuates based on a broad range of economic indicators, certainly not the simple 'supply and demand' scenario you depict.

w

Moves
08 Jan 11

Perhaps whodey has a "progressive" filter installed in his browser.
I do hava anti-virus software on my computer. 😛

MB

Moves
08 Jan 11

Gas prices are rising partly due to the fall of the US dollar. This is actually the same reason it happened during the bush administration. It is also the reason other commodities have been rising like gold and silver.

Once again you should point the finger at the Federal Reserve System. They are devaluing the US dollar. Obama has little say so in what the FRS does, but he is saying nothing to indicate he has a problem with it and he was for reappointing Bernanke. Obama and bush are both puppets.

End the Fed!

w

Moves
08 Jan 11

Originally posted by Metal Brain
Gas prices are rising partly due to the fall of the US dollar. This is actually the same reason it happened during the bush administration. It is also the reason other commodities have been rising like gold and silver.

Once again you should point the finger at the Federal Reserve System. They are devaluing the US dollar. Obama has little say so in wha ...[text shortened]... with it and he was for reappointing Bernanke. Obama and bush are both puppets.

End the Fed!
Well its a funny thing. You have Ben Barnanke get up before Congress and give dire warnings to the Federal government about spending, but then he turns around and monitizes the debt.

It seems that everyone is preaching to the other about fiscal responsibility, however, when it is their turn to act they do the opposite.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
08 Jan 11

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
I don't know that your analysis of the situation could be more off the mark. Barrel pricing fluctuates based on a broad range of economic indicators, certainly not the simple 'supply and demand' scenario you depict.
Certainly there are short term fluctuations; nothing in my post suggests otherwise. But the long run situation is as I outlined; finite supply coupled with increasing demand. That must result in an inevitable tendency for higher prices absent changes in consumption patterns.

MB

Moves
08 Jan 11

Well its a funny thing. You have Ben Barnanke get up before Congress and give dire warnings to the Federal government about spending, but then he turns around and monitizes the debt.

It seems that everyone is preaching to the other about fiscal responsibility, however, when it is their turn to act they do the opposite.
Yeah, that is funny.

I'm sure people will look back and say " Bernanke warned congress to be fiscally responsible so he would not have to create inflation but they wouldn't and so let it happen".

Funny but no one is laughing.