1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 08:40
    http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/06/speedup-americans-working-harder-charts
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 18:57
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/06/speedup-americans-working-harder-charts
    I agree. The American employee is slowly becoming the 21st century slave. The only way I've found out of this merry go round, is save your money, do your research, and start your own business. It can be risky, but there is not much job security these days anyway. I did 22 years ago. It was the best decision I ever made....and my former employer that layed me off...they went backrupt 4 years ago! ๐Ÿ™‚
  3. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 19:54
    Originally posted by bill718
    I agree. The American employee is slowly becoming the 21st century slave. The only way I've found out of this merry go round, is save your money, do your research, and start your own business. It can be risky, but there is not much job security these days anyway. I did 22 years ago. It was the best decision I ever made....and my former employer that layed me off...they went backrupt 4 years ago! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Well, opening your own business will be pretty useless if nobody can afford to buy your goods and services. Pretty much we'll all be able to afford WalMart. Maybe they'll issue their own currency.
  4. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    23 Jun '11 04:10
    What's really sad is that we do not even have an industrial policy in this country. We are the only industrial country without one. And we're paying the price.
  5. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    23 Jun '11 11:02
    Originally posted by bill718
    Yeah, one of these days when I really want to kick back and relax I'll start my own business. ๐Ÿ™„
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulรคrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    23 Jun '11 11:35
    You're not even entitled to maternity leave? Sheesh.

So what are all the hundreds of thousands of newly laid off Americans doing to get by? What is the starvation income threshold? Are shanty-towns reappearing?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jun '11 11:58
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    What is the starvation income threshold?
    Its when you have to sell that second car.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '11 14:20

So what are all the hundreds of thousands of newly laid off Americans doing to get by? What is the starvation income threshold? Are shanty-towns reappearing?
    we have the fattest poor people in the world don't worry they aren't starving
  9. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    23 Jun '11 15:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Its when you have to sell that second car.
    Your youngest child's ipad is a hand me down.
  10. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    23 Jun '11 19:11
    Originally posted by Zapp Brannigan
    we have the fattest poor people in the world don't worry they aren't starving
    Actually, obesity can be a form of malnutrition.
  11. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    23 Jun '11 19:13

Homelessness is on the rise actually, though it may have more to do with the cut-backs to mental health treatment than pure economics. And we do have a growing number of children who sometimes go to bed hungry.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree