1. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 17:54
    Originally posted by sh76
    Yes, but the argument is that failing to live up to obligations based on debt that already legally exists is unconstitutional. If rolling it over into new debt is required by the old legally generated debt, the 14th Amendment would seem to apply.
    But there is enough money coming into the treasury to cover the interest on the debt without incurring more debt. It "just" means a 40% reduction in government spending in other areas, causing a meltdown in GDP, and you know, probably eating our pets somewhere down the road.
  2. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 17:56
    It might not be a winning argument, but it's not grounds for impeachment.
    It would also be a gift to the GOP for electoral politics, which I think Obama cares about more than the Constitution anyway.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:02
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    But there is enough money coming into the treasury to cover the interest on the debt without incurring more debt. It "just" means a 40% reduction in government spending in other areas, causing a meltdown in GDP, and you know, probably eating our pets somewhere down the road.
    That's economically foolish. You don't prioritize interest on debts over living expenses.
  4. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:021 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    ...by rolling it over with the emission of new debt. Or else the debt ceiling wouldn't be an issue.
    I suspect there are some language issues here: Does “debt” in the 14th amendment mean a nominal amount or the obligation to pay? Both are valid uses of the term; and the mention of pensions might imply that the famers intended the latter. The debt ceiling seems to refer only to the former. The question is whether or not adherence to that nominal limit can be permitted to set up a constitutional violation if actual “pre-existing” debt obligations are “questioned”.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:04
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I see, so he would be able to emit only up to the amount required for rolling over the debt? If I'm reading you correctly, then this would allow an increase of the ceiling only by the amount of interest to be paid on the newly emitted bonds?

This wouldn't be enough to avoid a strong contraction of expenditure, I think.
    Honestly, I don't know what he'd be allowed to do. This is all untested waters.
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:12
    Yes, and we're just speculating--but so are policy advisors. The phrase "including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion..." might be construed to include, say Social Security payments. Nevertheless, refusal to pay principal amounts in addition to interest, if further debt-financiing is available, might still be "questioning" the full value of the incurred debt-obligations.

As most strict constructionists would, I imagine, point out, the language-intent of the framers at the time is determining. Most non-strict-constructionists would likely agree that it matters to interpretation.
  7. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:13
    Presidential acts and congressional acts are overturned as unconstitutional all the time. No President has ever been impeached nor has any Congressman ever been prosecuted for taking an official act that was later declared unconstitutional.
    No, but in this case he stupidly said that his lawyers don't think he can do it.
  8. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:14
    That's not the issue. The issue is the credit rating, and the impact on markets. It will be sent into freefall, regardless of how the bills are paid.
  9. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:16
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    That's economically foolish. You don't prioritize interest on debts over living expenses.
    You know what else is economically foolish? Failing to pass a budget for two years while borrowing over 40% of everything you spend. That will end one way or another eventually, because the math really doesn't care what you or I think we're entitled to from the government.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:18
    Like vistesd, so are we. I guess that probably the issue is not clear cut enough for there to be serious repercussions to him if he just ignores the ceiling and invokes this.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:181 edit
    You know what else is economically foolish? Failing to pass a budget for two years while borrowing over 40% of everything you spend. That will end one way or another eventually, because the math really doesn't care what you or I think we're entitled to from the government.
    It's not foolish under the circumstances. Emergencies need to be dealt with.

EDIT - "The math"? The math of what? Paper dollars. Not the math of, say, projectile motion, which is really grounded in reality.
  12. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:18
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    That's not the issue. The issue is the credit rating, and the impact on markets. It will be sent into freefall, regardless of how the bills are paid.
    Newsflash, the credit rating is very likely getting downgraded even if they raise the debt ceiling.
  13. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:20
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    It might also be politically foolish.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:20
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Newsflash, the credit rating is very likely getting downgraded even if they raise the debt ceiling.
    But the USA will still have a perfect record of paying debts.
  15. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:21
    Obama would gain my vote in the next election if he showed the courage to do this. He obviously believes default would be horrible and if he's willing to hang his a** out there to prevent it regardless of possible political consequences I would have huge respect for him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree