1. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:23
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    But the USA will still have a perfect record of paying debts.
    That's true and a worthy consideration, I just don't think it's legitimate to shout about the credit rating which is most likely going down no matter what.
  2. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:24
    It's not foolish under the circumstances. Emergencies need to be dealt with.
    Yes exactly. The house has passed 2 (and possibly a 3rd today) plans to address the problem, the Dems ignore them, offer nothing of their own, and now the best they have to offer is this cockamamie BS plan to add a constitutional crisis to our fiscal one.
  3. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:26
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Obama would gain my vote in the next election if he showed the courage to do this. He obviously believes default would be horrible and if he's willing to hang his a** out there to prevent it regardless of possible political consequences I would have huge respect for him.
    Bah! How about hanging his a** out there and presenting a responsible budget and a plan to address our fiscal problems?
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:26
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Yes exactly. The house has passed 2 (and possibly a 3rd today) plans to address the problem, the Dems ignore them, offer nothing of their own, and now the best they have to offer is this cockamamie BS plan to add a constitutional crisis to our fiscal one.
    Nothing of their own? Of course they have. But it involves raising taxes to pay for the extensive government support the super wealthy enjoy and to get money circulating among people to whom it's useful for spending. For the top 10% it's about getting the high score, not about buying stuff. They don't need to buy anything. They already have it all.
  5. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:27
    Actually, the Democrats introduced a plan weeks ago. The Republicans are refusing to even discuss it.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    It's not foolish under the circumstances. Emergencies need to be dealt with.

EDIT - "The math"? The math of what? Paper dollars. Not the math of, say, projectile motion, which is really grounded in reality.
    Don't be silly, there was no need whatsoever to rack up such massive debts over such a prolonged period. The 2008 crisis required deficit spending, sure, but not at the scale of the Obama administration. Obama should have pushed for tax hikes for the rich while he had the House supermajority.
  7. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    Nothing of their own? Of course they have. But it involves raising taxes to pay for the extensive government support the super wealthy enjoy and to get money circulating among people to whom it's useful for spending. For the top 10% it's about getting the high score, not about buying stuff. They don't need to buy anything. They already have it all.
    Nope. The Reid plan involves no taxes.

Want to try again?
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    Bah! How about hanging his a** out there and presenting a responsible budget and a plan to address our fiscal problems?
    1) Not his job
    2) He did
  9. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:28
    No, what they've passed is an ultimatum holding the country hostage for a balanced budget amendment - which isn't going to happen and is a stupid proposal anyway.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:31
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Nope. The Reid plan involves no taxes.

Want to try again?
    What about the Conrad plan?

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/170035-senate-dems-rally-around-left-leaning-budget-plan
  11. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:31
    Sorry to interrupt all the speculation from our resident arm chair experts but does Obama actually have a plan ?!

The only plans I have seen come forth are from the GOP. All I hear is Harry Reid saying they will not pass any of them. He says, the Boehner plan will not pass, will not pass, will not pass.

Between the two parties it appears the Dems are the obstructionist here not the GOP.
  12. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:32
    1) Not his job
    2) He did
    Oh please. His ridiculous budget died in the Senate 97-0. You're going to blame that on what? (Racism I suppose.)
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:34
    Oh please. His ridiculous budget died in the Senate 97-0. You're going to blame that on what? (Racism I suppose.)
    No, I blame it on the fact that it's not his job to pass budgets.
  14. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:37
    No, I blame it on the fact that it's not his job to pass budgets.
    So you're giving him a pass on presenting one that was so completely laughable no one Democrat could vote for it. That's weak.
  15. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 18:391 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Sorry to interrupt all the speculation from our resident arm chair experts but does Obama actually have a plan ?!

The only plans I have seen come forth are from the GOP. All I hear is Harry Reid saying they will not pass any of them. He says, the Boehner plan will not pass, will not pass, will not pass.

Between the two parties it appears the Dems are the obstructionist here not the GOP.
    I’m not at all sure if Obama has a plan. He seems to prefer pressing others to develop a plan through negotiations. That seems to be his modus operandi. And I mean that as a criticism.

There have been negotiations with proposals and counterproposals, and the main difference, it seems, between the Dems and Senate Republicans on the one hand, and House Republicans on the other, is that the former have been unwilling to push for votes on plans that did not get some bipartisan agreement. Not everybody thinks that when negotiations break down that means they ought to go ahead and try to push their last partisan position. But Reid may end up doing just that now.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree