1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 14:58
    Originally posted by quackquack
    There also is an issue of why 9/11 first responders should be compensated more than other people injured performing their jobs. If a fire fighter or a police officer got the same condition on 9/10 or 9/12 (or in a different city on 9/11) should they get any less compensation? If someone who was not a first responder but instead a coal miner develops th ...[text shortened]... d implement without debate is more offensive to be then being for or against any single program.
    feel free to discuss other professions getting deserved injury benefits in another thread.

this thread is about the benefits due to the 9/11 first responders.
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 16:01
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    feel free to discuss other professions getting deserved injury benefits in another thread.

We have a limited supply of money and if we give money to one group then we don't have it for another group. You request that we must, without debate, pay the first responders is completely unreasonable. The fact that you used a debate forum to present an issue and then demanded that no one debate it is very funny.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 16:29
    We have a limited supply of money and if we give money to one group then we don't have it for another group. You request that we must, without debate, pay the first responders is completely unreasonable. The fact that you used a debate forum to present an issue and then demanded that no one debate it is very funny.
    what is funny is that i repeatedly stated I don't want to debate it. you misrepresenting this to mean i want people to blindly sign a bill is also funny.

what i meant is i don't want to debate with YOU specifically. and people like you. cowards who stayed in front of the tv while people where looking for survivors in the debris.

should every american have been there sifting through the rubble? absolutely yes, though obviously it would have been impossible. if you weren't there though, have the decency to keep your damn mouth shut. have the decency to abstain from saying you can't pay for the guy who got lung cancer while searching for survivors while supporting tax cuts for the rich or military spending. have the decency to actually research what it would cost to provide medical care for the people in question (much less than what the tax cuts for the wealthy few that the republicans supported over this bill)

the thing is, you and others like you on this forum do not have minimum decency. that is why i don't want to debate this with you or others like you. that is why i wanted to post this, so that americans that do have some decency (there are many more than you people) would maybe do something about this in 2016 when it expires (the people needing this didn't miraculously get better from illnesses that will be with them for the rest of their lives).
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 16:47
    http://www.cracked.com/article_21468_5-things-i-saw-as-911-first-responder.html

The reason i am posting this is to help raise awareness. Not from the scum that said on this forum "the first responders don't deserve help". I would like normal, decent americans passing by to find out a thing or two about the Zadroga bill. If at least some call their ele ...[text shortened]... and a surgery or two -- they're going to need care for the rest of their hopefully long lives."
    Do you think cops are "first responders"?
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 16:53
    what is funny is that i repeatedly stated I don't want to debate it. you misrepresenting this to mean i want people to blindly sign a bill is also funny.

what i meant is i don't want to debate with YOU specifically. and people like you. cowards who stayed in front of the tv while people where looking for survivors in the debris.

should every america ...[text shortened]... dn't miraculously get better from illnesses that will be with them for the rest of their lives).
    Until you become Empress of the US, your idea that we must pay someone, no questions asked, is 100% unreasonable. First Responders are not the only group that contributes to our society, they aren't the only group that suffered while working. There is nothing magical about them that requires society to pay them any amount they claim, on any any claim they make.
    We need to know actual damages, we need to know if similar situated groups are being compensated, we need to know if society has other priorities. If there case is persuasive they will get paid. If not they won't.
    Are you actually claiming that I'm a coward because I had a different job?
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 16:59
    There also is an issue of why 9/11 first responders should be compensated more than other people injured performing their jobs. If a fire fighter or a police officer got the same condition on 9/10 or 9/12 (or in a different city on 9/11) should they get any less compensation? If someone who was not a first responder but instead a coal miner develops th ...[text shortened]... d implement without debate is more offensive to be then being for or against any single program.
    As I understand this, which is marginally, many of the responders were amateurs. With the professionals they will already have some compensation system in place, which the amateurs lack.
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 17:05
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    As I understand this, which is marginally, many of the responders were amateurs. With the professionals they will already have some compensation system in place, which the amateurs lack.
    Perhaps that is a good point which could be raised in a debate. It seems far more persuasive then just saying we must help a group and there should be no discussion.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 17:28
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Do you think cops are "first responders"?
    if they aren't already covered by being a police officer for injuries sustained in the line of duty, yes they should be included in the bill.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 17:35
    i won't stop you from discussing it (i can't and i wouldn't anyway).

like i said, i want some americans that have not heard of this bill to look it up.
    i want some americans to call their congressman to state their support.
    i don't want to hear that republicans fillibuster this bill because they wanted tax cuts for the rich to be passed first.
    i ...[text shortened]... have gotten cancer and sarcoidosis and other illnesses that their medical insurance won't cover.
    There are a couple of things to consider relevant to 9/11 first responders.

The first and most significant is that they aren't any different from any other first responders, other than their particular disaster was the worst in American history.

Every day cops and fire fighters die in the line of duty, often in mundane ways compared to the events of 9/11, but they are still doing vital, lifesaving work.

I question why cops and firefighters on a given day are more deserving than others who serve and die in lesser events.

Of course there is also the fact that these men and women chose their line of work which happens to be dangerous. A few years back I read a list of America's most dangerous jobs. Leading the list was 7/11 cashier.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 17:41

should every america ...[text shortened]... dn't miraculously get better from illnesses that will be with them for the rest of their lives).
    Talk about sifting through rubble! In the last couple of years massive tornadoes tore through Joplin, MS and Tuscaloosa, AL. There too, many first responders were just fellow citizens, including the U of AL football team.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 17:57
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Talk about sifting through rubble! In the last couple of years massive tornadoes tore through Joplin, MS and Tuscaloosa, AL. There too, many first responders were just fellow citizens, including the U of AL football team.
    so please lobby for them to have their medical bills covered too. this thread is about the 9/11 first responders. you might have gotten confused as to what this is about.

you aren't so moronic as to suggest that if absolutely all of the people who help out with disasters aren't helped, none should be, right?
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 18:49

It is really not funny at all. You want simply to avoid debate with anyone who disagrees with you, and is armed with inconvenient stuff like facts.
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 18:51
    if they aren't already covered by being a police officer for injuries sustained in the line of duty, yes they should be included in the bill.
    So cops, who already have generous life insurance and disability insurance as part of their employment ought to get additional? But the janitors and waitresses don't get squat?
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 18:53
    so please lobby for them to have their medical bills covered too. this thread is about the 9/11 first responders. you might have gotten confused as to what this is about.

you aren't so moronic as to suggest that if absolutely all of the people who help out with disasters aren't helped, none should be, right?
    I am merely pointing out that giving out extra benefits is expensive, and others may be as deserving or more.
  15. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    16 Sep '14 19:59

But you realise that you're talking about taking money from other professions, so it is relevant. Do you realise that the abilty to care for other people is dibilitated by moving the money away from them. You do realise that don't you?

You do realise that when the bill was first introduced thousands of wallets and purses snapped shut, no need to donate if the goobermint is taking care of things right.

Or do you think the goobermint pays for things by............

.......magic?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree