1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 14:07
    News organizations from FOX, MSNBC, CNN and others report an overwhelming percentage of their viewers favor a shorter campaign season. Once this silly election is over, perhaps our lawmakers should make some changes to bring this about. Any ideas on how they might do this?
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 14:15
    Originally posted by bill718
    News organizations from FOX, MSNBC, CNN and others report an overwhelming percentage of their viewers favor a shorter campaign season. Once this silly election is over, perhaps our lawmakers should make some changes to bring this about. Any ideas on how they might do this?
    It only seems longer this time around, in that both parties have a primary season.

The only way I see shortening it is to have all the primaries on the same day, say in June or July.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 14:19
    viewers might say they want a shorter campaign season.
    it is however the same viewers that show interest in this circus and enable those same news organisation to show it.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 14:44
    I love the campaign season. It's like getting an extra football season once every four years.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 15:102 edits
    I don't see this as a good idea. The shorter a campaign season is, the easier it is for a politician to B.S. his/her way into elected office. I've heard that Australia's campaign season is only a month long; if this is true, this would be a horrible model for the U.S., since Trump would already be president.

The only reason why long election seasons seem terrible, is because they are media circuses. If campaigns were about mature discussion and ideas rather than mudslinging and empty, pretentious rhetoric, no one would mind the length of a presidential season. We're only sick of it because of the endless, infantile stupidity of it all.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 15:15
    I would like to see the campaign season reformed as follows:

1. All states will hold primaries, not caucuses. All primaries will follow the same rules (winner take all, or proportional representation).

2. All delegates will be awarded on the basis of the above vote. There will be NO super delegates.

3. Four states have primaries every week, each of which must be from a different region (south, northeast, midwest, west).

4. The weeks that each state holds its primary will rotate each election cycle, with states who went first this time going to the back of the line for next time.

That should do it.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 17:50
    Originally posted by sh76
    I love the campaign season. It's like getting an extra football season once every four years.
    Think about it from the football's point of view.
  8. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 17:52
    Originally posted by sh76
    You're that kid that's all bummed when finals are cancelled.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree