Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    24 Oct '10 19:32
    The Americas don't exist. Columbus really did find India.

    Can the Allies win?
  2. Standard member avalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    24 Oct '10 19:41
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The Americas don't exist. Columbus really did find India.

    Can the Allies win?
    I'd say no chance. Both the Pacific and European theatres seem certain to end in axis victory without American involvement, even allowing for the craziness of Operation Barbarossa.
  3. 24 Oct '10 19:49
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    I'd say no chance. Both the Pacific and European theatres seem certain to end in axis victory without American involvement, even allowing for the craziness of Operation Barbarossa.
    You're forgetting about Mexico. Surely they would have stepped up to the plate and defeated the Axis Powers.
    The tricky part would be sailing all their burro's overseas.
  4. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    24 Oct '10 19:53
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The Americas don't exist. Columbus really did find India.

    Can the Allies win?
    America was not needed. The Soviet Union would have defeated Germany on their own.
  5. 24 Oct '10 19:58 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    America was not needed. The Soviet Union would have defeated Germany on their own.
    No. If America was not involved Britan would of fell. China would been under Japan rule. Canada, Australia N.Africa all controlled by the Axis. The Axis would of controlled everything. The Soviets would of been toast.

    edit: not to mention Germany and Japan were in the process of developing the bomb
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    24 Oct '10 19:58 / 2 edits
    Rwingett and Avalanche, thanks for kindly presenting two dramatically opposing viewpoints, and thanks Uther for the requisite trolling. All great threads have trolls.

    Burros are excellent swimmers. You won't be talking smack when the Mexican Marines arrive on their amphibious burro cavalry!

    Aren't there already burros in Spain?
  7. Standard member avalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    24 Oct '10 20:01
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Rwingett and Avalanche, thanks for kindly presenting two dramatically opposing viewpoints, and thanks Uther for the requisite trolling. All great threads have trolls.
    Oooh, badly timed - Uther simultaneously contributing a superb explanation as to why the Soviets alone couldn't have upset global domination by the axis powers.
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    24 Oct '10 20:05 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by rwingett
    America was not needed. The Soviet Union would have defeated Germany on their own.
    And Japan? Could the British Empire take Imperial Japan?

    Axis can't take Canada...Americas means both continents.
  9. 24 Oct '10 20:12
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    And Japan? Could the British Empire take Imperial Japan?

    Axis can't take Canada...Americas means both continents.
    Axis surely could take Canada. They would of controlled The Atlantic and the Pacific. Who could stop them? It would be a cake walk.
  10. 24 Oct '10 20:24 / 1 edit
    The one thing in this scenario about "no America" is that some European Power would of been here. Great Britan,France,Spain,somebody would have been here and developed it by the time of WW2.Therefore, one of theses empires in the Axis Powers sights would have been much larger. The only way for this scenario to work would be if America stayed "undiscovered" by Europe and that is highly unlikely.
    (then there wouldnt of been a Canada either.)
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    24 Oct '10 20:25
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Axis surely could take Canada. They would of controlled The Atlantic and the Pacific. Who could stop them? It would be a cake walk.
    No, I mean the Americas do not exist. The Atlantic IS the Pacific.
  12. 24 Oct '10 20:28
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    No, I mean the Americas do not exist. The Atlantic IS the Pacific.
    Oh. Well then it would be even easier for the Axis. Japans Imperial Navy,Hitlers u-boats, they would control everything!
  13. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    24 Oct '10 20:36
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    No. If America was not involved Britan would of fell. China would been under Japan rule. Canada, Australia N.Africa all controlled by the Axis. The Axis would of controlled everything. The Soviets would of been toast.

    edit: not to mention Germany and Japan were in the process of developing the bomb
    I see no reason to believe that Britain would have fallen; they survived the most serious crisis in 1940 without American help. If Germany follows the same strategy, they eventually lose to the USSR though it would have taken longer.

    The Japanese certainly have an easier time in the Pacific, but the majority of their ground troops were always occupied in China. I suspect a deal would be cut with them leaving them in control of Southeast Asia; then they get to have a Vietnam War.
  14. 24 Oct '10 20:44
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I see no reason to believe that Britain would have fallen; they survived the most serious crisis in 1940 without American help. If Germany follows the same strategy, they eventually lose to the USSR though it would have taken longer.

    The Japanese certainly have an easier time in the Pacific, but the majority of their ground troops were ...[text shortened]... be cut with them leaving them in control of Southeast Asia; then they get to have a Vietnam War.
    Britain would have surely fallen,eventually. As far as Japan getting to have a Vietnam War I think they would handled it much more efficiently than we did. No protesters,no "rules of engagement",and a lot of enthusiasm!
  15. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    24 Oct '10 20:53
    Rehashing old, tired cliches like this is always a good way to have a lively thread.