1. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 17:15
    A 42-year-old Tea Party activist with a "Don't Tread on Me!" flag hanging from his house refuses to buy health insurance of any kind. The next day he has a heart attack and needs lengthy hospitalization and a triple by-pass surgery. Total cost: $250,000. Assuming the value of the house is only $60,000 and the Tea Partier only makes $30,000 a year as a sales clerk, what is society's responsibility for taking care of the Tea Partier's medical expenses -- which will include $2000 per year in heart medications as well? How should the "free market" work this out?
  2. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 17:25
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    A 42-year-old Tea Party activist with a "Don't Tread on Me!" flag hanging from his house refuses to buy health insurance of any kind. The next day he has a heart attack and needs lengthy hospitalization and a triple by-pass surgery. Total cost: $250,000. Assuming the value of the house is only $60,000 and the Tea Partier only makes $30,000 a year as a ...[text shortened]... $2000 per year in heart medications as well? How should the "free market" work this out?
    the 42 yr old needs to tell the hospital "send me the bill".
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 17:30
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    A 42-year-old Tea Party activist with a "Don't Tread on Me!" flag hanging from his house refuses to buy health insurance of any kind. The next day he has a heart attack and needs lengthy hospitalization and a triple by-pass surgery. Total cost: $250,000. Assuming the value of the house is only $60,000 and the Tea Partier only makes $30,000 a year as a ...[text shortened]... $2000 per year in heart medications as well? How should the "free market" work this out?
    He ought to die as he lived: free.
  4. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 17:32
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Amen!
  5. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 17:342 edits
    This hypothetical situation should be impossible.

$250,000 heart surgery wouldn't be on the list of things covered by his insurance.
    He's given the treatment he can afford. I hear aspirin does wonders for heart disease.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 17:58
    Nope, if he refuses to buy health insurance Big Brother should lock him up and throw away the key. Then when he wishes to be euthenized all the same proponents that say that he must be kept alive will say the state can kill them. 😛
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 18:00
    Originally posted by joneschr
    This hypothetical situation should be impossible.

$250,000 heart surgery wouldn't be on the list of things covered by his insurance.
    He's given the treatment he can afford. I hear aspirin does wonders for heart disease.
    Sweet Jesus. I so wish I was an American.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 18:01
    Originally posted by whodey
    Nope, if he refuses to buy health insurance Big Brother should lock him up and throw away the key. Then when he wishes to be euthenized all the same proponents that say that he must be kept alive will say the state can kill them. 😛
    I'd forgotten he lives here in the US. Good point.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 18:01
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Sweet Jesus. I so wish I was an American.
    ... and having a heart attack?
  10. Pepperland
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 18:05
    never have I heard anything more ridiculous or morally repugnant as this.

It is truly a mystery to me why in the US, still the most prosperous country on the face of the earth, people are allowed to be swindled by greedy corporations in such a disgraceful manner. Here we are talking about a man's life, his most precious possession, and all the laissez-faire advocates can do is parrot the same old thought-terminating cliches which have for so long perpetuated delusions in society ever since the country was founded. It defies explanation why you or uther continue mindlessly referring to vague notions of the free market when faced with questions such as the one presented in the OP.

Shame on you, and shame on all those who espouse similar views.
  11. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 18:55
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    never have I heard anything more ridiculous or morally repugnant as this.

It is truly a mystery to me why in the US, still the most prosperous country on the face of the earth, people are allowed to be swindled by greedy corporations in such a disgraceful manner. Here we are talking about a man's life, his most precious possession, and all the laiss ...[text shortened]... the one presented in the OP.

Shame on you, and shame on all those who espouse similar views.
    I don't get what's morally repugnant. The OP's situation was one where a person consciously refuses to purchase something he can afford, on principle. He suffers the fate of his own actions.

If the OP's statement was rephrased to:

"A 42-year-old man can not afford to buy health insurance of any kind. The next day he has a heart attack .."

then the answer changes.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 18:58
    I'm not sure whether this attitude is masochistic, misanthropic or nihilist. Sick people "ought to die"? Where do you get these kind of ideas?
  13. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 19:00
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I'm not sure whether this attitude is masochistic, misanthropic or nihilist. Sick people "ought to die"? Where do you get these kind of ideas?
    thats not what he said
  14. Germany
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 19:02
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    thats not what he said
    Yes... yes it is.
  15. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 19:061 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Yes... yes it is.
    Yes, I think it is. And it's not "masochistic, misanthropic or nihilistic". It's realistic.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree