1. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    11 Dec '10 08:21
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    That is more than an obligation, if you have a right to live your life free from the three 'f's then the other chap does also. If you have a right to force your morality on to the other fellow, to claim the product of his mind and effort, to specify what he may do with his own body, then that other fellow has that same right to do all those things to you. So 'obligation' is not a strong enough word, something more appropriate might come along.
    I'm never sure how people intend terms like 'right' and 'obligation', so excuse me if I'm being obtuse. Typically, though, rights entail corresponding obligations. For instance, if you have a right to be free from coercion, then I have an obligation not to coerce you. Why not just say that there are fundamental rights in virtue of which people have unchosen obligations? This is compatible with there being a host of obligations people choose (like when we enter into particular relationships or contracts). In any case, there are a variety of things we should do but are not obligated to do. I should help the less fortunate, but it may be too strong to say I have an obligation to help the less fortunate, and just false that the less fortunate have a right to my help.
  2. Pepperland
    Moves
    11 Dec '10 13:411 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]Meaningless drivel devised to serve as a smokescreen...
    With just a half ounce more measure of pomposity, your prose would be elevated from painfully juvenile to sublime sarcasm. Give it a bit more effort, will you?

... as to divert attention away from your disgraceful remark about how one "ought to die free"...
    So intent am I t of is that your belly hurts, so it must be snack time. Go back to your finger-painting.[/b]
    With just a half ounce more measure of pomposity, your prose would be elevated from painfully juvenile to sublime sarcasm. Give it a bit more effort, will you?
    Oh yes, very juvenile, why don't you tell me again about how my belly hurts?

So intent am I to "divert" from the thought, I go headlong back into it. What a charlatan I am!
    and you continue avoiding any rational discussion on the topic of debate, why are you so afraid of addressing the matter in question?

Gosh, I missed that obvious one. I was thinking more along the lines of the Fools being those who simply accept the status quo with respect to what constitutes a life worth living. Fools, in my book, so devalue life as to place security and safety ahead of freedom
    Yes, keep telling yourself those fairy tales, who cares about reality when we can comfort ourselves in the knowledge that freedom ultimately prevailed?

Here, I will quote myself. Blow it out your donkey. What a bunch of crap. Freedom isn't a right, it is an absolute responsibility.
    Let me guess, you also believe the founding fathers were inspired by the Almighty himself. What other thought-terminating cliches are you willing to use here in order to avoid debate?

The only thing you could possibly be aware of is that your belly hurts, so it must be snack time. Go back to your finger-painting.
    Infantile personal attacks aside, do you have anything of real value to offer to the discussion? bombarding the forums with your angry and irrational remarks doesn't in any way conceal your ignorance of the reality of the inadequacy of the US healthcare industry, sorry.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree