Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber mchill
    Infinitorum
    09 Jul '16 20:58
    Lost in all the election year fervor is a nice bit of good news. The US national debt has gone down quite a lot. I'm not going to debate the politics of this, but it's something that is cause for some minor rejoicing I think.

    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/deficit-shrinks-1-trillion-obama-era

    ::Transmitted from a small subterranean cavern::
  2. 09 Jul '16 22:47
    Originally posted by mchill
    Lost in all the election year fervor is a nice bit of good news. The US national debt has gone down quite a lot. I'm not going to debate the politics of this, but it's something that is cause for some minor rejoicing I think.

    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/deficit-shrinks-1-trillion-obama-era

    ::Transmitted from a small subterranean cavern::
    Well, let's see what effect that has on Wall Street.
  3. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    09 Jul '16 23:31
    Originally posted by mchill
    Lost in all the election year fervor is a nice bit of good news. The US national debt has gone down quite a lot. I'm not going to debate the politics of this, but it's something that is cause for some minor rejoicing I think.

    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/deficit-shrinks-1-trillion-obama-era

    ::Transmitted from a small subterranean cavern::
    In a Democratic administration. Imagine that.
  4. 10 Jul '16 00:13
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    In a Democratic administration. Imagine that.
    If it's true.

    Do you really think Obama's legacy will stand the scrutiny of the facts? When Obama should have been healing the wounds of racism he was no where to be seen. I'm talking about 8 years of cultural collapse as never seen in my lifetime under his administration. I thought Bill Clinton was bad enough, but Barack Obama is the worst thing to happen to the Oval Office since Jimmy Carter.

    I'm going to hate myself for posting this. But I'm on a roll today. Oh well!
  5. 10 Jul '16 05:15
    You nuts? http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/debtclock/unitedstates
  6. Standard member vivify
    rain
    10 Jul '16 07:32
    The debt may have gone down a trillion under Obama, but it has also spiked 7 trillion under his administration; so it's really not "good news".

    The main issue will be whether the debt simply went up under Obama, or went up *because* of Obama. Here's a Washington post article on the matter:

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/01/07/the-story-behind-obama-and-the-national-debt-in-7-charts/
  7. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    12 Jul '16 15:15
    Originally posted by kquinn909
    You nuts? http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/debtclock/unitedstates
    You understand the difference between debt and deficit?
  8. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    12 Jul '16 15:36
    Originally posted by josephw
    If it's true.

    Do you really think Obama's legacy will stand the scrutiny of the facts? When Obama should have been healing the wounds of racism he was no where to be seen. I'm talking about 8 years of cultural collapse as never seen in my lifetime under his administration. I thought Bill Clinton was bad enough, but Barack Obama is the worst thing to happ ...[text shortened]... Jimmy Carter.

    I'm going to hate myself for posting this. But I'm on a roll today. Oh well!
    His "legacy" will also contain the explosive use of false flag events.
    Granted, Bush had the big one with 9/11, but his approval of the many since then has rendered the media irrelevant and untrustworthy.
  9. 12 Jul '16 18:58 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH to Josephw
    His "legacy" will also contain the explosive use of false flag events.
    Granted, Bush had the big one with 9/11, but his approval of the many since then has rendered the media irrelevant and untrustworthy.
    "(President George W) Bush had the big one ('false flag event' ) with 9/11..."
    --FreakyKBH

    Would FreakyKBH like to explain his favorite conspiracy theory about the events of 11 September 2001?
  10. 12 Jul '16 19:02
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    You understand the difference between debt and deficit?
    The debt is something you blame on the GOP. The deficit is something you blame on "W".
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Jul '16 19:08 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by mchill
    Lost in all the election year fervor is a nice bit of good news. The US national debt has gone down quite a lot. I'm not going to debate the politics of this, but it's something that is cause for some minor rejoicing I think.

    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/deficit-shrinks-1-trillion-obama-era

    ::Transmitted from a small subterranean cavern::
    It's the deficit that is shrinking, not the debt. The debt is still rising.

    The deficit in the first year of the Obama administration (2009) was obscenely high due to the stimulus spending and economic recession decreasing tax revenue. While that it's come down is certainly a good thing, it's hardly anything to celebrate. It hasn't come down enough. A $450B budget deficit is still irresponsibly high. That it's no longer $1.5T is hardly a cause for celebration.

    The Maddow article is a classic case of picking your point of reference. Compare the current deficit to any year in history before 2009 and all of a sudden, it's nothing to write home about.

    http://tinyurl.com/zfger9w
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Jul '16 19:13
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    You understand the difference between debt and deficit?
    The OP said "national debt."
  13. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Jul '16 19:51
    Originally posted by sh76
    It's the deficit that is shrinking, not the debt. The debt is still rising.

    The deficit in the first year of the Obama administration (2009) was obscenely high due to the stimulus spending and economic recession decreasing tax revenue. While that it's come down is certainly a good thing, it's hardly anything to celebrate. It hasn't come down enough. A $450B ...[text shortened]... before 2009 and all of a sudden, it's nothing to write home about.

    http://tinyurl.com/zfger9w
    Having a world wide empire is rather expensive; we're spending about $156 billion to maintain 800 military bases overseas:

    Although few Americans realize it, the United States likely has more bases in foreign lands than any other people, nation, or empire in history.”

    http://www.mintpressnews.com/214492-2/214492/

    Does everybody do it? Not quite:

    The foreign military presence of other nations pales in comparison. “Britain, France and Russia, by contrast, have about 30 foreign bases combined,” according to Vine.