1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 15:132 edits
    Which is a more important factor in the health of a country's population?

Medical Care thumbs up.

How the individual decides to live which includes diet, exercise and other healthy or unhealthy lifestyle choice thumbs down.

I am of the belief that the overall health of the population is decided by personal choices in diet, exercise and other healthy or unhealthy lifestyle decisions.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 15:26
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I am of the belief that the overall health of the population is decided by personal choices in diet and exercise.
    Are you trying to tell me that the reason for the low life expectancy in Zambia as compared to the US is largely a result of personal choices in diet and exercise?
    I beg to differ.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 16:11
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Are you trying to tell me that the reason for the low life expectancy in Zambia as compared to the US is largely a result of personal choices in diet and exercise?
    I beg to differ.
    You are saying that in Zambia everyone eats a healthy diet and practices healthy lifestyles?
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 16:29

Medical Care thumbs up.

How the individual decides to live which includes diet, exercise and other healthy or unhealthy lifestyle choice thumbs down.

I am of the belief that the overall health of the population is decided by personal choices in diet, exercise and other healthy or unhealthy lifestyle decisions.
    Other factors include genetics, and choices made by others that we have no personal control over; some choices made wittingly, some unwittingly.

The people who substituted methanol for ethanol in patent medicines, killed or blinded numerous people. The man who invented elixir of sulfanilimide using ethylene glycol as the liquid, killed numerous children. The people who thought thalidomide was OK for pregnant women's morning sickness, caused numerous terrible birth defects. These situations led to development and revision of drug safety regulations.

Personal decisions include decisions to regulate.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 17:55
    Originally posted by JS357
    Other factors include genetics, and choices made by others that we have no personal control over; some choices made wittingly, some unwittingly.

The people who substituted methanol for ethanol in patent medicines, killed or blinded numerous people. The man who invented elixir of sulfanilimide using ethylene glycol as the liquid, killed numerous children. Th ...[text shortened]... t and revision of drug safety regulations.

Personal decisions include decisions to regulate.
    Genetics is a factor, but this discussion is supposed to be about which is more dominant when it comes to the health of a population: healthcare or personal choices.
  6. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 17:59
    Medical Care thumbs up.
    They're both important. Next question?
  7. Germany
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 18:22

Medical Care thumbs up.

Yeah, I bet the reason people lived to age 30 in the 1800s was due to eating too many Big Macs.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 18:461 edit
    Genetics is a factor, but this discussion is supposed to be about which is more dominant when it comes to the health of a population: healthcare or personal choices.
    OK, I won't be so picky about it. People basically have responsibility for their own health, within the limits defined by their genetics and circumstances. People born with a birth defect or in a squalid slum have more limits on their capability to be healthy.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 00:00
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Yeah, I bet the reason people lived to age 30 in the 1800s was due to eating too many Big Macs.
    You don't have to eat Big Macs to have an unhealthy diet. You can lack any number of amino acids, fats, vitamins or nutrient. You can have a lack of food at all.

Unhealthy lifestyle need not be a real choice. If you are forced to do slave labor in a mine, you would suffer because of a poor lifestyle, but not by choice.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 00:02
    Originally posted by JS357
    OK, I won't be so picky about it. People basically have responsibility for their own health, within the limits defined by their genetics and circumstances. People born with a birth defect or in a squalid slum have more limits on their capability to be healthy.
    So which do you believe has a bigger impact on their quality of life and how long they live?

How many birth defects are due to choices that the mother made, such as doing drugs?
  11. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 00:26
    So which do you believe has a bigger impact on their quality of life and how long they live?

How many birth defects are due to choices that the mother made, such as doing drugs?
    Why does it matter which has the bigger impact? They both have an impact. They are not mutually exclusive. We should aim both to promote healthy lifestyles and to offer top-quality health care.
  12. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 00:31

Medical Care thumbs up.

Actually diet treats the disease and medicine treats the symptoms in a lot of cases. Both are still important. It is like government. It is important so long as it is used appropriately.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 00:33

I don't know.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 01:11
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Actually diet treats the disease and medicine treats the symptoms in a lot of cases. Both are still important. It is like government. It is important so long as it is used appropriately.
    If personal choices of diet and lifestyle play a major role in the health of a population, then why is it that when one discusses health care, personal choices are not take into consideration? Why is it only healthcare that gets the credit or the blame?

This thought came to mind when I discovered how excitotoxins are so common the US diet and has such a horrible effect on us. Why blame the US medical system for problems that are a result of a horrible food supply, as well as horrible lifestyle choices?
  15. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 02:05
    If personal choices of diet and lifestyle play a major role in the health of a population, then why is it that when one discusses health care, personal choices are not take into consideration? Why is it only healthcare that gets the credit or the blame?

This thought came to mind when I discovered how excitotoxins are so common the US diet and has such a ...[text shortened]... for problems that are a result of a horrible food supply, as well as horrible lifestyle choices?
    Look up codex alimentarius. The diet not only get no credit, but it is under attack!!!! There is more money to be made by the medical system so of course it will be played up and choice will be dictated.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree