This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 10:422 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    That's the great American Way, isn't it?

Many Americans think this way, while others do not. The concept of imprisoning a President is something of an anomaly. If one President is sent to prison, this may set an uncomfortable precedent, whereby the legal system can be weaponized as a political tool to neatly dispose of a President by the opposing political party, who wishes that person gone. Frankly, I think this fear is somewhat misplaced, and can think of no other President in our history who so richly deserves prison than Donald J Trump. Once out of office, he still has to answer for a multitude of state and federal crimes, including fraud, income tax evasion, campaign finance violations, and emoluments violations, and may even face charges of obstruction of justice regarding the Mueller investigation. I don't know if prison will be in his future, but do know his legal and financial situation is a very dark one.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2020-trump-faces-lawsuits-and-legal-threats/
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 10:472 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    The only bad thing which absolutely must not happen to Trump is assassination. It will turn him into a martyr.

He must however be dragged through Congress and the courts to face any and all legitimate charges against him.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 10:55
    @divegeester said
    The only bad thing which absolutely must not happen to Trump is assassination. It will turn him into a martyr.

He must however be dragged through Congress and the courts to face any and all legitimate charges against him.
    A shooter in a grassy knoll is far to good for Trump.
  5. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 10:561 edit
    Sorry but little of this is likely to happen

If you go on to Parlay you will see that Trump has already invoked the Isurrection Act

If i was a gambling man I would bet that this stuff around a second impeachment is probably an attempt to take the heat off counter charges of criminaliity.

Executive Order 13959 was announced directly (24 hours) before this all kicked off.
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 11:09
    @medullah said

If you go on to Parlay you will see that Trump has already invoked the Isurrection Act

If i was a gambling man I would bet that this stuff around a second impeachment is probably an attempt to take the heat off counter charges of criminaliity.

Executive Order 13959 was announced directly (24 hours) before this all kicked off.
    According to both Reuters and Snopes, this is a totally fake newsstory. Also Politifact. Can you provide us with any actual evidence that they're all wrong?
  7. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 11:421 edit
    Go on to Parlay and take a look
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 11:45
    @medullah said

Do you possibly mean Parler?
  9. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 11:52
    @Suzianne

No to my knowledge parler has gone

Parlay (educational)
  10. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 12:232 edits
    Google can't find parlay as a webpage. Parley is an eco site. I'll stick to the sources I listed, thanks.
    The Reuter site has a fact check on the story, very detailed, which shows that it was a fake Parler account.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 12:48

12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 16:40
    There is obviously something to say for the argument that politicians should be exempt from prosecution.

A bit like diplomatic immunity or job protection when doing union work, etc.

What you don’t want is the democratically elected body having decision making influenced by threats of retribution.

So, although I do completely agree with impeachment processes and the ability to to democratically remove individuals and even presidents, I generally don’t think it’s good for a democracy to be able to punish them for decision making.

It’s also very hard to judge behaviour. We don’t have all the facts policy executives have.

Something like rape, murder, corruption is maybe a different kettle of fish. I don’t dare comment on that.
    But would you want your democratically elected body jailed for murder, when a newly elected body finds their war illegal or something?
    Just something to ponder.
    And yes, it is different than murdering your wife.

As for the case in hand: yes. The man needed impeaching. And I seriously think the republicans should ban him from their party.
    But I don’t feel a jail sentence would be in the US’s best interest in the long run.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 17:09

14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 17:23
    @badradger said
    A shooter in a grassy knoll is far to good for Trump.
    If the same number of shooter as were gunning for JFK from the grassy knoll are gunning for Trump, he will be very safe indeed.
  15. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 17:23
    @kewpie said
    Google can't find parlay as a webpage. Parley is an eco site. I'll stick to the sources I listed, thanks.
    The Reuter site has a fact check on the story, very detailed, which shows that it was a fake Parler account.
    .........REUTERS is a trusted, reliable news source.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree