1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 15:33
    Originally posted by whodey
    That is some theory, however, can you imagine politicians using Gods name today?
    Don't have to imagine it. Bush used it an inordinate number of times - breaking new ground, if I recall correctly. And I heard a comment recently on the BBC news that Obama has already mentioned God, publically, more often than Bush did in the same period of time.
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 15:421 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    What planet are you living on? Politicians throw the word "God" out there left and right to score political *points*
    True -- but how many politicians ever utter the name "Jesus" or "Allah" or "L.Ron Hubbard" in public?

I recall Bush naming Jesus as his favorite philosopher. Any others?
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 15:471 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    So are you in favor of universal health care if the majority of Americans continue to oppose it? I can gaurantee that the powers that be will shove it down their throats regardless. So much for our freedoms.

I think part of the problem, and why it will be shoved down our throats, is that the current entitlement program of Medicare/Medicaid is going bust ...[text shortened]... ne all in the name of "fixing the crisis".

That is the devil I know and I don't prefer it.
    But the current healthcare insurance system is going bust.

Employers are having a harder and harder time covering their employees while trying to compete with companies overseas that don't have to do this -- and insurance companies have become very creative in finding ways to avoid paying for treatments that they supposedly cover.

The government aren't the only "powers that be" -- those insurance company people also wield a great deal of power. Why don't you fear them as much?
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 16:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    Don't have to imagine it. Bush used it an inordinate number of times - breaking new ground, if I recall correctly. And I heard a comment recently on the BBC news that Obama has already mentioned God, publically, more often than Bush did in the same period of time.
    Yes. Sucking up to God is like kissing babies in American politics. Always has been.

Obama even used his religion as an excuse for his odd opposition to gay marriage (I say odd only in light of his other positions, not because I have anything against that position).
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 16:05
    Originally posted by sh76
    Yes. Sucking up to God is like kissing babies in American politics. Always has been.

Obama even used his religion as an excuse for his odd opposition to gay marriage (I say odd only in light of his other positions, not because I have anything against that position).
    Obama's position on gay marriage is an attempt to have it both ways and set up a "different but equal" system. Gays can have the same water, but just can't drink out of the same water fountain.

I can't wait until the time when someone can come out and say they are an atheist and not ruin their chances at being president.

That's not to say I'd vote for someone for being an atheist, I just can't wait until it is no longer a disqualifier.

Then I'll wait for the first gay married atheist president! 🙂
  6. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 16:25

Truth be told I think Obama is actually against capital punishment and for gay marriage. But admitting so would have killed his election.
  7. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 16:271 edit
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn

You know what would be awesome? Not just any gay guy but a total flamboyant flamer.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 16:29
    Obama's position on gay marriage is an attempt to have it both ways and set up a "different but equal" system. Gays can have the same water, but just can't drink out of the same water fountain.

I can't wait until the time when someone can come out and say they are an atheist and not ruin their chances at being president.

That's not to say I'd vote ...[text shortened]... nger a disqualifier.

Maybe Barney Frank?

You can hit the trifecta. Gay. Jewish. (probably) Atheist.
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 16:36
    Maybe Barney Frank?

but he's from Massachussetts. No chance.
  10. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 16:50
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    You know what would be awesome? Not just any gay guy but a total flamboyant flamer.
    He would have to show up at his inauguration in drag!
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 16:56
    Maybe Barney Frank?

He'd do 😛

He has a boyfriend so he's close to being married I guess.

There's another thing - would it also be as much of a disqualifier is a presidential candidate was single?

Can you supposedly get the "family values" vote without having a wife? What if they were single and divorced?

I still think Obama should have started his inauguration speech with "Asalam Aleykum" just to watch the lunatics heads explode.
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 16:57
    He would have to show up at his inauguration in drag!
    RuPaul for president!!!
  13. Pepperland
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 17:24
    Now if the progressives had been in charge, I think these would have looked a tad bit different. They would have gone something like this.

1. Right to free speech, so long as it is politically correct and not "offensive".
    2. Right to a free press, so long as both sides of the arguement are offered so as to be "fair". Otherwise is will not be allowed.
    3. Right to free worship, so long as the ...[text shortened]... and seizure. The courts will then later tell you exactly if the state was "unreasonable".[/b]
    well, would you rather have it like this:

1. right to free speech, so long as it is racist and offensive
    2.right to free press, so long as it is heavily biased and dominated by the right.
    3.right to free worship, so long as it is christian and also, all representatives of the people should claim they talk to God and receive instructions from him.
    4.right to a trial by jury, so long as you have no right to defend yourself.
    5.Freedom from unreasonable search and seizure, so that you can make home-made bombs without any trouble.

is that what you're proposing?
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 18:001 edit
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    well, would you rather have it like this:

1. right to free speech, so long as it is racist and offensive
    2.right to free press, so long as it is heavily biased and dominated by the right.
    3.right to free worship, so long as it is christian and also, all representatives of the people should claim they talk to God and receive instructions from him. ...[text shortened]... re, so that you can make home-made bombs without any trouble.

is that what you're proposing?
    Maybe, what he's proposing is:

1. right to free speech, regardless of whether what you say offends other people

2.right to free press, regardless of what the political opinions of the members of the press are

3.right to free worship, regardless of whether your worship offends other people

4.right to a trial by jury, as long as the interests of the state and the victims are given equal consideration to those of the defendant

5.Freedom from search and seizure, which can only be excepted by the government for good cause, such as with a search warrant issued by a neutral magistrate or by an exception to the warrant requirement that justifies the search
  15. Pepperland
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 18:06
    Maybe, what he's proposing is:

1. right to free speech, regardless of whether what you say offends other people

2.right to free press, regardless of what the political opinions of the members of the press are

3.right to free worship, regardless of whether your worship offends other people

4.right to a trial by jury, as long as the interests of the ...[text shortened]... by a neutral magistrate or by an exception to the warrant requirement that justifies the search
    that sounds much better.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree