1. silicon valley
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 16:48
    the comments at this link say it all.

would you like me to paste them up here? 🙂

http://blogs.physicstoday.org/thedayside/2010/10/why-are-nonscientists-skeptical-of-climate-change.html
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    15 Oct '10 18:03
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    if you wait long enough the monkeys will evolve and start churning out Shakespeare.
    we already have. Or did you miss that part of evolution.
  3. Joined
    09 Jul '10
    Moves
    15 Oct '10 18:22
    Well, AGW certainly is the current statist enthusiasm.

But that need not mean it isn't real. A bureaucrat is right once in a while.

However, even if AGW isn't real, it's hardly clear that drastically curtailing conventional energy consumption is the best response to it.

The poor are most harmed by GW. If they were richer, they could cope better.

Alas, drastically curtailing conventional energy consumption retards the enrichment of the poor.

Hence, it may well be better to make the poor rich, so they can better adapt to global warming, than to try to avert GW. Rising sea levels won't bother the rich Dutch, who reclaimed part of the sea, as much as the poor Bangladeshis, who live at its mercy.

Moreover, GW may not be completely AGW. And doing what would be necessary to prevent AGW may not be politically feasible anyway.

So I say: we burn, baby, burn; we thereby enrich the world as quickly and as much as possible; and we concomitantly invest in future sources of alternative energy that might actually be efficient and productive enough to work. None of this wind-farm lunacy.
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 17:28
    Originally posted by uzless
    we already have. Or did you miss that part of evolution.
    uzless proves the point, by example.
  5. silicon valley
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 17:29
    Originally posted by IshDaGegg

However, even if AGW isn't real, it's hardly clear that drastically curtailing conventional energy consumption is the best response to it.

The poor are most harmed by GW. If they were richer, they could cope better. ...[text shortened]... at might actually be efficient and productive enough to work. None of this wind-farm lunacy.
    spending trillions of dollars on harebrained amelioration schemes isn't going to help the Bangladeshi, especially if AGW is a fraud.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Oct '10 01:071 edit
    Originally posted by IshDaGegg

The poor are most harmed by GW. If they were richer, they could cope better. ...[text shortened]... at might actually be efficient and productive enough to work. None of this wind-farm lunacy.
    In addition, if AGW is real (and, let's face it, it probably is), there may be ways to reverse it that barely make a dent in the World economy, such as releasing sulfur into the stratosphere and developing enormous CO2 sucking machines (I read an article in Nat Geo about that).

Rather than just work so hard to convince us that AGW is real, I'd like scientists to work more on solutions that won't devastate the World economy.

But then, those other solutions won't require massive wealth redistribution, now, will they?
  7. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    17 Oct '10 03:50
    Originally posted by sh76
    In addition, if AGW is real (and, let's face it, it probably is), there may be ways to reverse it that barely make a dent in the World economy, such as releasing sulfur into the stratosphere and developing enormous CO2 sucking machines (I read an article in Nat Geo about that).

Rather than just work so hard to convince us that AGW is real, I'd like scientist ...[text shortened]... But then, those other solutions won't require massive wealth redistribution, now, will they?
    In addition, if AGW is real (and, let's face it, it probably is)-sh76

Lets face it sh76, its probably not! i dont understand why you always got to straddle the fence and never want to rock the boat.

I specifically recall on more than one occasion you saying it was a farce. Take a stand man! stop being so wishy washy.
  8. silicon valley
    Moves
    17 Oct '10 03:54
    the latest buzz phrase is: "Sack up!"
  9. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    17 Oct '10 04:23
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    the latest buzz phrase is: "Sack up!"
    😀
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '10 11:13
    Originally posted by utherpendragon

Lets face it sh76, its probably not! i dont understand why you always got to straddle the fence and never want to rock the boat.

I specifically recall on more than one occasion you saying it was a farce. Take a stand man! stop being so wishy washy.
    I say it is a farce but at the same time recognize the need to get off foriegn oil. Face it, the US is at the mercy of groups like OPEC and countries like Iran. Enough!!! 😠
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Oct '10 11:28
    Originally posted by utherpendragon

I never ever said AGW was a farce. I think you're confusing my attitude towards the Kyoto accord and the Copenhagen conference with the underlying issue that those discussions deal with. The fact that some liberals overplay the AGW card and use it as a means to promote global wealth redistribution does not mean that it's not real. And the fact that the West's attempts to deal with AGW have been inconsistent, ineffective and, on the whole, incompetent, likewise does not impact the validity of the problem.

I don't know for certain whether AGW is real. But GW is clearly real (even if possibly cyclical) the weight of the scientific community seems to think that humankind has a significant role in it. I have a friend who is a professor of environmental studies at CCNY. I've quizzed him at length on this issue. He's no liberal, he'd very understated and has no agenda here; but he consistently maintains that the current GW trend is probably at least partially caused by man.

I read the climategate emails and no, I don't for a minute buy the explanation that all those damning sounding emails were really just scientific points not fully understandable to the layman. But again, the fact that some take it too far for political purposes does not impeach the idea itself.

I have no problem with rocking the boat. But I'm not going to disagree just for the sake of disagreeing with no reason to do so.

In any case, I thought that urging scientists to spend less time playing up AGW and more time searching for alternative solutions was a stand.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '10 11:53

Rather than just work so hard to convince us that AGW is real, I'd like scientist ...[text shortened]... But then, those other solutions won't require massive wealth redistribution, now, will they?
    Spot on sh76!! They don't care about global warming, rather, they only care about getting their hands in our back pockets.
  13. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    17 Oct '10 15:39
    I never ever said AGW was a farce. I think you're confusing my attitude towards the Kyoto accord and the Copenhagen conference with the underlying issue that those discussions deal with. The fact that some liberals overplay the AGW card and use it as a means to promote global wealth redistribution does not mean that it's not real. And the fact that the West's a ...[text shortened]... less time playing up AGW and more time searching for alternative solutions was a stand.
    All you got to do is follow the money and you will see its the biggest fraud ever in history.
  14. silicon valley
    Moves
    17 Oct '10 16:14
    the money spent by oil companies is nothing close to that spent by govts and other AGW fraudsters on our behalf.

and now the oil companies expect to make money off carbon trading!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree