1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 06:42
    Thoughts?

I would really like having President Obama continue into a third term, but was also looking forward to Hillary winning the Presidency in 2016 and wary of amending the Constitution.

Seriously, I know no way any amendment would ever make it in today's climate, but it was a nice thought to think about have a great leader continue.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 07:23
    Umm no.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 07:27
    Not a good idea.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 07:33
    I think term limits should be ditched as they are a restriction of democratic choice but I don't think there's any mileage in ditching them specifically "so Obama can run for 3rd term". Perhaps if you'd chipped in with a proposal to end term limits for the Presidency just as an incumbent, with whom you profoundly disagreed, looked capable of winning a third term, then your desire to amend the constitution would have more credibility. 😵
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 07:43
    If it's really a good idea, and I can't have an opinion on that, word the amendment so that it cannot take effect before 2017 or even 2021, so that no incumbent person or party can gain a benefit from the change.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 08:10
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    If it's really a good idea, and I can't have an opinion on that, word the amendment so that it cannot take effect before 2017 or even 2021, so that no incumbent person or party can gain a benefit from the change.
    Agreed.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 08:391 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think term limits should be ditched as they are a restriction of democratic choice .....
    As we all know, democratic choice is far from perfect. We know well that the incumbent has a significant advantage in most cases, especially here in Africa where he typically has access to government funds for his campaign, as well as manipulating the media. But even when access to government funds is not available, the ability to manipulate the economy is available to the incumbent even in the US.
    This is why the two term rule exists.

As for Obama, what you have to realise is that the current government is not one man alone, nor should it be. It should be possible to maintain the current government and all its policies and change the figurehead (president). If this is not possible then there is a problem with the system and it places far too much focus on the powers of the presidency (a major problem in most African countries).

Most people don't realise it, but when you vote for president, at least some of your vote is for the presidents speech writer.
  8. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 10:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think term limits should be ditched as they are a restriction of democratic choice but I don't think there's any mileage in ditching them specifically "so Obama can run for 3rd term". Perhaps if you'd chipped in with a proposal to end term limits for the Presidency just as an incumbent, with whom you profoundly disagreed, looked capable of winning a third term, then your desire to amend the constitution would have more credibility. 😵
    Agree with you on term limits. But inconsistently am ok with the two-term limit for President.

We could amend the Constitution to say that "Obama" can run for a third term, but leave in the restriction to two-term elections generally.
  9. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 10:43
    Originally posted by moon1969
    We could amend the Constitution to say that "Obama" can run for a third term, but leave in the restriction to two-term elections generally.
    Of course when the term limit rule was originally adopted by the 22nd amendment, it was specifically worded so that it would not apply to the incumbent, Harry Truman.

Maybe Obama could stand for a third term on the basis that he was born in Kenya and hasn't legally been President anyway. I mean, what's breaking one more rule?

On an equally tongue in cheek note, when the 2008 election was drawing near, I was waiting for a sudden announcement by George W.: "The constitution states that a man can only be elected president twice. But I wasn't elected the first time, so I'm standing for a third term." I had to look up the exact wording of the 22nd amendment to reassure myself that we were on safe ground.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 13:16
    I could see voting for Obama again, but Hilary, I'm no so sure. She seems disingenuous to me. Reminds me of John Kerry in some ways.
  11. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 13:18
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    Of course when the term limit rule was originally adopted by the 22nd amendment, it was specifically worded so that it would not apply to the incumbent, Harry Truman.

Maybe Obama could stand for a third term on the basis that he was born in Kenya and hasn't legally been President anyway. I mean, what's breaking one more rule?

On an equally tongue in ...[text shortened]... up the exact wording of the 22nd amendment to reassure myself that we were on safe ground.
    Some good tongue-in-cheek notes.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 14:03
    Under the current system, must the two terms be consecutive?
    Can you only stand two times, or is only winning twice against the rules?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 14:09
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Not a good idea.
    Why? You can't expect Obummer to turn around the economy in just 8 years after the mess "W" left, especially with the GOP in control of the House.

Geesh.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 14:10
    Originally posted by FMF
    What about those in Congress who keep getting elected even though their approval ratings continue to deteriorate and are now around 13%?

Do you really hate democracy that much FMF?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 14:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    What about those in Congress who keep getting elected even though their approval ratings continue to deteriorate and are now around 13%?

Do you really hate democracy that much FMF?
    I think term limits are an impediment to democratic choice.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree