American Capitalism Gone With A Whimper

American Capitalism Gone With A Whimper

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Moves
03 Jun 09

Originally posted by FMF
Don't a lot of "westerners" say the same thing about Al Jazeira English? What are thes assumptions based on exactly?
Like Bosse said, www.pravda.ru and also the printed pravda (unrelated to www.pravda.ru) are both tabloid style news. This would indicate that it is a lot of gossip and junk stories.

The original pravda newspaper during communist times was a voice for communist propoganda. The paper was closed down by Yeltsin and various new versions of "pravda" sprang up in Russia started by previous employees, but I would not call any of them quality news.

Other countries have their own version of tabloid news.

I am sure Russia has reputable news agencies, I would try The Moscow Times.

w

Moves
03 Jun 09

Originally posted by mlprior
Like Bosse said, www.pravda.ru and also the printed pravda (unrelated to www.pravda.ru) are both tabloid style news. This would indicate that it is a lot of gossip and junk stories.

The original pravda newspaper during communist times was a voice for communist propoganda. The paper was closed down by Yeltsin and various new versions of "pravda" sprang ...[text shortened]... f tabloid news.

I am sure Russia has reputable news agencies, I would try The Moscow Times.
Surely there must be a paper out there that does not attack the Obama administration. After all, that is a criteria for being credible, no?

m

Moves
03 Jun 09

Originally posted by whodey
Surely there must be a paper out there that does not attack the Obama administration. After all, that is a criteria for being credible, no?
Ha!
Hardly, not a criteria at all.

Are you defending pravda.ru? Are you saying that their news stories are objective and factual?

F

Moves
03 Jun 09

Take it up with the author of the article, not me. 😀
I took it up with you because you are the one who said making fun of someone's sexual orientation was funny and who then went on to pontificate about decency.

M
Who is John Galt?

Taggart Comet

Moves
03 Jun 09

Originally posted by FMF
Crikey, I'm appalled that I said something somewhere along the way there that made you think I don't! I shall shut up.

If only!

M
Who is John Galt?

Taggart Comet

Moves
03 Jun 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
I recommend Pravda's 'Everyday Randomness' feature.

Although I’m sure you enjoy that feature, it’s a bit too weird for my taste. I will remain content with the space alien bits.

M
Who is John Galt?

Taggart Comet

Moves
03 Jun 09
1 edit

A fellow ridiculed as only fit for spotting space aliens by the inimitable ‘brain trust’ of RHP Debates, wrote this piece last year. In retrospect it was well deduced. (consumer warning: Read at your own risk, as this could be injurious to self esteem.)

THE FINAL SHOE ON AMERICAN CONSUMERISM IS ABOUT TO FALL 14/10/08

America's bedraggled; debt slave consumers are about to reap the final whirlwind, which will finally unwind what is left of their consumer materialist society. This final shoe will come in the form of the cheaply made, cheap priced and often poisonous Chinese consumer goods. It is these very goods that not only have stuffed American households in a gluttony of soul-less consumerism but have equally driven those same mindless consumers out of their middle class manufacturing jobs and into the lower class that make up the vast masses of service sector jobs. Of course the fact that a service economy is a natural by-product of a manufacturing economy is lost on those whose education is now a deteriorating 3rd world joke with a 1st world price tag and who listen to the likes of the Communist News Network (CNN) or Faux News, both corporately owned by a small, powerful and government aligned (both parties) oligarchs.

But all that aside, and back to the subject. The Chinese are about to raise prices on consumer goods as they have already raised prices on metal industrial inputs. There are three reasons for this. First is the falling dollar. Turns out, all those pseudo calls to release the Yuan did just that and the Yuan, while still ballasted down not to rise too quickly, has risen 6% against the dollar. So that's 6% so far. Then we have the 9% inflation rate of today's China, which equally raises the prices of inputs (raw materials), work (ok, the Chinese slave wage is a joke so 10% more on a 25 cent per hour pay is still a joke at 27.5 cents) and overhead (paper pushers, electricity, energy in general, rent, etc). Finally, in order to combat an overheated economy, which is obvious from the high inflation rate, China has moved to cut back subsidies to it's industry (that's right all you Free Trade zealot fools, you're the only idiots playing that game, everyone else plays mercantilism...defending their economy). Seems that many of those cuts are up to 20% and the suppliers have tacked that 20% right on to their prices.

So all told, so far, that's about a 30-36% rise in price.

Have not felt that yet? Do not worry, they are working their way up the manufacturing chain, as usual starting with basic inputs and propagating upwards. You will feel it soon enough.

What will an economy, the world's biggest debtor, already under strains of a 7-10% actual inflation rate (vs. the 3% marked down liar rate of the Fed) and where consumerism alone makes up 70% of the economy, do?

Well the usual Fed policy of making more money sure as hell won't help the situation.

Good luck, you'll need it.

Stanislav Mishin

(edit: Next to last sentence is turning prophetic.)

w

Moves
03 Jun 09

Originally posted by mlprior
Ha!
Hardly, not a criteria at all.

Are you defending pravda.ru? Are you saying that their news stories are objective and factual?
I don't defend ANY news source. I'll leave that up to you liberals who think some are holier than others. News stories are what they are and it is up to you to dig deeper to see if there be any truth in them no matter the source. Likewise, why not assess the contents of this story instead of attacking the source?

w

Moves
03 Jun 09

Originally posted by FMF
I took it up with you because you are the one who said making fun of someone's sexual orientation was funny and who then went on to pontificate about decency.
I said it made me snicker, that is all. Perhaps I was wrong for doing so, but it is what it is. Just being honest. Having said that, I was not the one attacking his sexual orientation.

So why did it make me snicker? Prabably because I don't like Barney Frank. He is the poster boy for what is wrong with Washington. He single handidly oversaw Fannie May and company and continually pushes for policies that I think are injurous to this country.

w

Moves
03 Jun 09

Originally posted by MacSwain
A fellow ridiculed as only fit for spotting space aliens by the inimitable ‘brain trust’ of RHP Debates, wrote this piece last year. In retrospect it was well deduced. (consumer warning: Read at your own risk, as this could be injurious to self esteem.)

THE FINAL SHOE ON AMERICAN CONSUMERISM IS ABOUT TO FALL 14/10/08

America's bedraggled; debt ...[text shortened]...
[b]Stanislav Mishin

(edit: Next to last sentence is turning prophetic.)[/b]
Nice!!

F

Moves
03 Jun 09

I said it made me snicker, that is all. Perhaps I was wrong for doing so, but it is what it is. Just being honest. Having said that, I was not the one attacking his sexual orientation.
No you didn't. You said the attack on his sexuality was humorous - because you didn't "like him". Perhaps you were wrong for doing so, but it is what it is. Indeed. You were just being honest. Yes you - YOU - not the author of the article in the link - were attacking his sexual orientation - at least as far as this RHP thread is concerned. You found his trash talk funny and said so, here. Keep your pontifications about standards and decency to yourself, why don't you?

w

Moves
03 Jun 09

Originally posted by FMF
No you didn't. You said the attack on his sexuality was humorous - because you didn't "like him". Perhaps you were wrong for doing so, but it is what it is. Indeed. You were just being honest. Yes you - YOU - not the author of the article in the link - were attacking his sexual orientation - at least as far as this RHP thread is concerned. You found his trash ...[text shortened]... so, here. Keep your pontifications about standards and decency to yourself, why don't you?
We can haggle over this or actually address the point of the article which is the corruption and injurous policies that are currently being implemented in Washington. My guess is that you have no interest in this however, and, instead, prefer to deflect the issue into nonproductive squabbles such as this.

M

Moves
03 Jun 09
1 edit

So the government stepped in and "saved" them, big deal eh? Just like it did when it passed the Patriot Act in order to keep us all "safe"? I think you will find that nothing is "free". So what is the price of your freedom in order to be safe? I guess that is the $64 question. The hell of it is, once you surrender freedom you NEVER get it back.
I don't think anyone would want to live in a world where there was 100% freedom. I doubt you'd want your neighbor to be "free" to fire bullets into your bedroom window, or to break into your home or beat you up. With no police to call, you would find yourself to be much less free.

Likewise, if you neighbor was "free" to build a factory next to your property and spewed toxic smoke into your home, I don't think you'd consider yourself to be very free.

Or if your neighbors were "free" to make you to leave the town because your skin wasn't dark enough, you wouldn't find yourself feeling very free.

You often have to surrender freedom in order to gain freedom.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
03 Jun 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Who's got time to waste on reading Pravda?
You do it here...why not expand?

g

Pepperland

Moves
03 Jun 09

Originally posted by FMF
No you didn't. You said the attack on his sexuality was humorous - because you didn't "like him". Perhaps you were wrong for doing so, but it is what it is. Indeed. You were just being honest. Yes you - YOU - not the author of the article in the link - were attacking his sexual orientation - at least as far as this RHP thread is concerned. You found his trash ...[text shortened]... so, here. Keep your pontifications about standards and decency to yourself, why don't you?
Keep your pontifications about standards and decency to yourself, why don't you?

Do you do that yourself?

or are you being the king of hypocrisy again?