1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    16 Nov '10 23:11
    Americas school system seems to be slipping farther behind Asia and Europe every decade. America spends more money per student than most other countries, yet the quality of education each student recieves seems sub standard. I must confess, I don't have an answer on this one. The public/private school argument does not seem to work, since most schools in other countries are public.

Americas Universities seem to be doing a decent job, but the K-12 system clearly needs help. Any thoughts?😕
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    16 Nov '10 23:50
    Originally posted by bill718
    Americas school system seems to be slipping farther behind Asia and Europe every decade. America spends more money per student than most other countries, yet the quality of education each student recieves seems sub standard. I must confess, I don't have an answer on this one. The public/private school argument does not seem to work, since most schools in oth ...[text shortened]... ersities seem to be doing a decent job, but the K-12 system clearly needs help. Any thoughts?😕
    Private school vouchers for all
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Nov '10 23:561 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Another handout for the middle and upper class.

Outside of the box, I'd end compulsory education laws. And repeal the monstrous No Child Left Behind boondoggle.
  4. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '10 23:58
    Originally posted by sh76
    So the kids from the other countries in Asia, etc. go to private schools?

Why is it that public schools in other countries are so much better than public schools here?
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 00:07
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn

Why is it that public schools in other countries are so much better than public schools here?
    What makes you think public school systems are better in other countries? Standardized test scores?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 00:191 edit
    America spends a fortune trying to beat a dead horse and teach the unteachable.

After the age of 15 they should drop those that won't learn or can't learn, instead of keeping them in High School until they are 22 years old, foolishy trying to teach them to read , write, and do arithmetic at the level we would expect from a small child.

No other country does it why does America?
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 00:54
    I'm working on it. Give me some time.
  8. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 00:57
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn

Our public school system has devolved into a conglomeration of large, centrally controlled institutions/ organizations / unions that functions more as an employment agency for public employees than for educating children. No amount of money will fix it. It needs to be dismantled and transformed, but powerful interests like it just the way it is.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 00:591 edit
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Our public school system has devolved into a conglomeration of large, centrally controlled institutions/ organizations / unions that functions more as an employment agency for public employees than for educating children. No amount of money will fix it. It needs to be dismantled and transformed, but powerful interests like it just the way it is.
    A parrot could say such a bunch of brainless right wing cliches as well as you just did.
  10. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 01:01
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    A parrot could say such a bunch of brainless right wing cliches as well as you just did.
    That would be brilliant parrot, who attended a private school, and he would be right.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 01:10
    Interesting take.
    I have the opposite view, our school system has devolved into a mess that lets the students and parents blame the teachers for their failure to pay attention because the teachers are powerless to enforce any sort of classroom discipline for fear of their jobs.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 01:32
    That would be brilliant parrot, who attended a private school, and he would be right.
    I'll admit that the American education system by turning out people as willfully ignorant of reality as most right wingers has done a poor job. But exclusive reliance on private schools, many of whom don't even want to teach basic science facts like evolution, would be far worse.

It would probably be a good idea not to have so many students in school that have no interest in learning; schools have turned into babysitter centers rather than educational centers. Getting rid of compulsory education laws would accomplish this and greatly reduce the time wasted on discipline and security matters.
  13. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 01:38
    What makes you think public school systems are better in other countries? Standardized test scores?
    Are the children compared in these tests that show Asian kids with higher test scores coming from private or public schools?

I'm definitely not a huge fan of standardized test scores on their own. There's no silver bullet.
  14. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 01:48
    ...But exclusive reliance on private schools . . .
    Arguing against a point I didn't make, as is your habit. Who but you is talking about exclusive reliance on private schools?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 01:50
    I have to say, I can't really disagree with any of the comments so far, not even Marauders!!! 😲

In fact, I think Marauder is slowly falling into the conservative mind set of abolishing endless ineffective letigious barriers that would lead to a better society!! 😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree