1. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 21:10
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Suzianne - I am one of those "rich". I paid $76,000 in income taxes last year. You can kiss my ass.
    Your boss should want to pay more tax because he needs his business to have customers.

By taxing richer people (workers and capitalists) we can invest in stimulating more jobs for the middle class. This will mean your boss will have richer customers - you will sell more and earn more money.

Business owners benefit from paying more tax. Because that tax is used to invest in the economy, improve infrastructure, create jobs and customers.

If the 1% keep screwing the 99% the 99% won't have any money to buy the 1%'s goods.

There is only so much stuff rich people can buy! Meaning they don't spend all their income which is effectively taking money out of the real economy.

Pay more tax and get richer!
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 21:24
    So my boss is the problem? He owns the company. He gives over 900 people a living. He's the problem?
    It is not the employer who pays the wages. Employers only handle the money. It is the customer who pays the wages.

-Henry Ford
  3. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 21:36
    You don't really think that, do you, Comrade?
    Your boss needs those employees just as much as they need him/her. And just as he is free to hire someone else, you are free to seek employment elseware. It's a relationship of mutual dependency.

While I certainly don't think ill of business owners, I also don't assign them any higher status than a common worker. They're not philanthropists. They're in it to make money, just like their employees.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 21:40
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Your boss needs those employees just as much as they need him/her. And just as he is free to hire someone else, you are free to seek employment elseware. It's a relationship of mutual dependency.

While I certainly don't think ill of business owners, I also don't assign them any higher status than a common worker. They're not philanthropists. They're in it to make money, just like their employees.
    Perhaps they see an opportunity to serve the common cause of humanity with capitalist enterprise the only avenue of intervention available.
  5. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 22:341 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Perhaps they see an opportunity to serve the common cause of humanity with capitalist enterprise the only avenue of intervention available.
    Who are you referring to when you say "they"? Such an exception would be so rare it is not even worth considering. We might as well be talking about unicorns.

The vast majority of business owners and workers do what they do primarily earn a living, and also for a sense of accomplishment and purpose.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 22:46
    I quit teaching because I made just enough to not quailify for automatic scholarships, over 80k in scholarships for two kids so in exchange for doing much less for a year or so, sounds great to me!

Wife still works, so we aren't on government assitance, but now she brings in a few bucks, supplemented by my couple of nights a week and we're getting by. Doing less to get more, that's the new American way!
  7. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 22:54
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I quit teaching because I made just enough to not quailify for automatic scholarships, over 80k in scholarships for two kids so in exchange for doing much less for a year or so, sounds great to me!

Wife still works, so we aren't on government assitance, but now she brings in a few bucks, supplemented by my couple of nights a week and we're getting by. Doing less to get more, that's the new American way!
    Just for the sake of argument let's say your story isn't 100% BS, what point are you making? That you're one of the leechers that you decry?
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 23:08
    Just for the sake of argument let's say your story isn't 100% BS, what point are you making? That you're one of the leechers that you decry?
    It's totally true.

It isn't the leachers that are the problem. It's the system that creates the leachers.
  9. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 00:36

So commies have invaded US Army Special Forces now. Fabulous.
  10. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 00:38
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It is not the employer who pays the wages. Employers only handle the money. It is the customer who pays the wages.

-Henry Ford
    Very true; so, what's your point?
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 01:371 edit
    So my boss is the problem? He owns the company. He gives over 900 people a living. He's the problem?
    I'm glad that you are rewarded well for your expertise--but you don't think that market supply and demand pricing has anything to do with deservingness, do you? Either in goods markets or labor markets?

By the way, the ultimate "job creator" is market demand for goods and services—or, as one financial analyst that I read not too long ago put it: “the economic environment” as a whole. There is consumer demand (C), investment demand (I)—which is a derived demand—government demand (G) and net exports (NX). You can be a wonderfully efficient supplier, but absent sufficient demand, you’ll shut down. You can invent the most wonderful new product, but absent sufficient demand (at prices that cover your costs), you’ll never get it to market. You may want to hire a wonderful number of employees, but absent sufficient demand for your product, you won’t be able to.

Supply does not create its own demand (at sustainable market pricing). You are not a job creator (nor is your boss): your customers are job creators—and their customers in a chain of derived demand.

I know that to a certain extent you’re just havin’ fun, stirrin’ the pot. 🙂 Just remember: the employer who wants credit as a “job creator” when demand is good will also have to take the blame as a “job destroyer” when demand falls short—unless they are a total hypocrite. Personally, I give them neither the credit nor the blame—on sound economic principles.

EDIT: Well, okay; this was just an expansion of rwingett's Henry Ford quote, fleshing out the economics a bit.
  12. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 01:42
    So commies have invaded US Army Special Forces now. Fabulous.
    I'm trying to figure out if you're really this idiotic or if you're a clever troll.

And where do you get Special Forces from?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 02:102 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 03:052 edits
    I don't know exactly what role your boss plays. Normally a boss is a manager or supervisor. Those are workers. If your boss is one of those there is no capitalism in your company; just a worker who owns his own company. The capitalists are the people you rent stuff from like maybe offices or cranes or trucks or simply loans of money paid with interest and involving collateral so the capitalist cannot lose.

Capitalists are not paid for what they do they are paid for what they legally own.
  15. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 04:34
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I don't know exactly what role your boss plays. Normally a boss is a manager or supervisor. Those are workers. If your boss is one of those there is no capitalism in your company; just a worker who owns his own company. The capitalists are the people you rent stuff from like maybe offices or cranes or trucks or simply loans of money paid with interest ...[text shortened]... not lose.

Capitalists are not paid for what they do they are paid for what they legally own.
    Technical distinction between “capitalist” and “entrepreneur” (within a capitalist system)?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree