Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    3298
    24 Sep '15 09:093 edits
    The tea party folks are leading the charge to another government shutdown. Moderate republicans know this move would cause political damage to the GOP in the general election, which is why many are not happy about this tea party ploy, but they may be powerless to stop it. As a Democrat I'd welcome a shut down, since it would hurt the GOP at election time, nevertheless, the founding fathers of our nation did not design our government to be shut down whenever one political party does not get their way. The tea party folks are acting childish, thinking only of their own interests, and not that of the nation.

    http://news.yahoo.com/gop-pragmatists-protest-tea-party-shutdown-tactics-151215469--finance.html#
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    13029
    24 Sep '15 10:22
    Originally posted by bill718
    The tea party folks are leading the charge to another government shutdown. Moderate republicans know this move would cause political damage to the GOP in the general election, which is why many are not happy about this tea party ploy, but they may be powerless to stop it. As a Democrat I'd welcome a shut down, since it would hurt the GOP at election time, ne ...[text shortened]... ttp://news.yahoo.com/gop-pragmatists-protest-tea-party-shutdown-tactics-151215469--finance.html#
    As a Republican I would welcome a shut down too. We will be able to see exactly what is most important to Obama when he shuts it down with his veto. 😏
  3. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    24 Sep '15 10:28
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    As a Republican I would welcome a shut down too. We will be able to see exactly what is most important to Obama when he shuts it down with his veto. 😏
    How would you like it if they shut down your Social Security and Medicare?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    24 Sep '15 11:32
    Originally posted by bill718
    The tea party folks are leading the charge to another government shutdown. Moderate republicans know this move would cause political damage to the GOP in the general election, which is why many are not happy about this tea party ploy, but they may be powerless to stop it. As a Democrat I'd welcome a shut down, since it would hurt the GOP at election time, ne ...[text shortened]... ttp://news.yahoo.com/gop-pragmatists-protest-tea-party-shutdown-tactics-151215469--finance.html#
    You may not know this but the government shuts down every day around 5 pm bill. In fact, it also shuts down during weekends and holidays as well.

    The odd part is, the sun still rises and sets and life continues on anyway.

    Just remember, the GOP is struggling to fight for continued support from the tea party which they have routinely ignored. So let them pander to them, but in the end, know they will cave like they always do.

    The government will be up and running in no time. After all, the debt is only $18 trillion. I say with continued hope and change we can reach $30 trillion in no time.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    24 Sep '15 11:34
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    How would you like it if they shut down your Social Security and Medicare?
    Don't skeer me like that!

    Save us Hillary!! 😲
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    13029
    24 Sep '15 11:35
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    How would you like it if they shut down your Social Security and Medicare?
    Of course no one would like that. However, that has never happened in a government shutdown because there is always some compromise reached before that point. I am just interested to see what type of bill and what reason that Obama would feel was so important to shut down the government with a veto.

    It seems obvious that it will take a veto by Obama to shut down the government this time, because the Republicans are not going to do it. Well, I guess it is possible that a Democrat might do a filibuster to shut down the government like the Republicans did the last time.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52853
    24 Sep '15 12:19
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Of course no one would like that. However, that has never happened in a government shutdown because there is always some compromise reached before that point. I am just interested to see what type of bill and what reason that Obama would feel was so important to shut down the government with a veto.

    It seems obvious that it will take a veto by Obama to ...[text shortened]... mocrat might do a filibuster to shut down the government like the Republicans did the last time.
    I thought that is what Rebubs liked, small government. If it shuts down, Repubs should love it. VERY small government.
  8. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    3298
    24 Sep '15 15:04
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    As a Republican I would welcome a shut down too. We will be able to see exactly what is most important to Obama when he shuts it down with his veto. 😏
    I'm so happy you would welcome a shutdown. The voting public always blames the political party that is responsible for the shutdown (in this case the GOP), and votes the opposing party into power. Oh well...as the old saying goes, "if your opponent is going to fall on their own sword...don't get in their way!" 😀
  9. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    23120
    24 Sep '15 15:20
    Originally posted by bill718
    The tea party folks are leading the charge to another government shutdown. Moderate republicans know this move would cause political damage to the GOP in the general election, which is why many are not happy about this tea party ploy, but they may be powerless to stop it. As a Democrat I'd welcome a shut down, since it would hurt the GOP at election time, ne ...[text shortened]... ttp://news.yahoo.com/gop-pragmatists-protest-tea-party-shutdown-tactics-151215469--finance.html#
    If they shut down, then I suggest all congressional salaries be halted for the duration. In fact, I suggest that congressional salaries are way too high and their lifetime benefits after serving even one term are outrageous especially considering that once they are out of office, they get hired for a ton of $ to lobby all their congressional cronies.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    24 Sep '15 16:48
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I thought that is what Rebubs liked, small government. If it shuts down, Repubs should love it. VERY small government.
    Name one thing the GOP has done for a smaller more limited government.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    24 Sep '15 16:49
    Originally posted by Phranny
    If they shut down, then I suggest all congressional salaries be halted for the duration. In fact, I suggest that congressional salaries are way too high and their lifetime benefits after serving even one term are outrageous especially considering that once they are out of office, they get hired for a ton of $ to lobby all their congressional cronies.
    When you rule the roost with no accountability to anyone that becomes rather hard, which is part of why I hate them all.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    13029
    24 Sep '15 20:44
    Originally posted by bill718
    I'm so happy you would welcome a shutdown. The voting public always blames the political party that is responsible for the shutdown (in this case the GOP), and votes the opposing party into power. Oh well...as the old saying goes, "if your opponent is going to fall on their own sword...don't get in their way!" 😀
    By the time it comes for voting, it will all be forgotten, so it doesn't matter as long is it is not shut down for months. A few weeks would be wonderful. 😏
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    13029
    24 Sep '15 20:52
    Originally posted by Phranny
    If they shut down, then I suggest all congressional salaries be halted for the duration. In fact, I suggest that congressional salaries are way too high and their lifetime benefits after serving even one term are outrageous especially considering that once they are out of office, they get hired for a ton of $ to lobby all their congressional cronies.
    No. I think it should be the Presidential salary that is stopped. However, any congressional salary stop would be a drop in the bucket to them for all but the new guys have already made a million or more by insider trading and deals.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    13029
    24 Sep '15 20:53
    Originally posted by whodey
    Name one thing the GOP has done for a smaller more limited government.
    Old sonhouse is just a troll. 😏
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    24 Sep '15 23:11
    If the Republicans provide a bill for spending and the President does not sign the bill, then it is the President who is shutting down the government.
Back to Top