1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 23:36
    Originally posted by bill718
    The tea party folks are leading the charge to another government shutdown. Moderate republicans know this move would cause political damage to the GOP in the general election, which is why many are not happy about this tea party ploy, but they may be powerless to stop it. As a Democrat I'd welcome a shut down, since it would hurt the GOP at election time, ne ...[text shortened]... ttp://news.yahoo.com/gop-pragmatists-protest-tea-party-shutdown-tactics-151215469--finance.html#
    Why is it that when a Republican House refuses to rubber stamp a Democratic President's budget proposals, they are shutting down the government? No such accusation happens when a Republican President's budget is shot down by a Democratic Congress.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 23:38
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    How would you like it if they shut down your Social Security and Medicare?
    That would be fine with me, if both parties - Congress and the President - were serious about a balanced budget that started paying off the debt.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 23:40
    Originally posted by bill718
    I'm so happy you would welcome a shutdown. The voting public always blames the political party that is responsible for the shutdown (in this case the GOP), and votes the opposing party into power. Oh well...as the old saying goes, "if your opponent is going to fall on their own sword...don't get in their way!" 😀
    (in this case the GOP)

Why would the GOP be responsible? The shutdown if it occurs is as much the President's fault as it is Congress'.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 23:42
    Originally posted by Phranny
    If they shut down, then I suggest all congressional salaries be halted for the duration. In fact, I suggest that congressional salaries are way too high and their lifetime benefits after serving even one term are outrageous especially considering that once they are out of office, they get hired for a ton of $ to lobby all their congressional cronies.
    While I agree with you on congressional salaries, and staff expenses, would you feel the same if the political parties were reversed, and it was a GOP President, and a Democrat Congress?
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 23:44
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If the Republicans provide a bill for spending and the President does not sign the bill, then it is the President who is shutting down the government.
    Finally someone gets the picture.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 02:21
    Wait!

If the government shuts down, who will spy on me via the NSA and spend all my money all while having contempt for me? :'(
  7. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 02:55
    Originally posted by whodey
    Wait!

If the government shuts down, who will spy on me via the NSA and spend all my money all while having contempt for me? :'(
    For what its worth a "shutdown" accounts for only about 17%.
    83% continues on as usual so be rest assured whodey the NSA will continue to spy on you unhindered. 😉
  8. Germany
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 06:56
    Originally posted by normbenign
    That would be fine with me, if both parties - Congress and the President - were serious about a balanced budget that started paying off the debt.
    Fortunately there is only a small minority of Americans in favour of the elderly dying of poverty or treatable disease.
  9. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 08:17
    Fortunately there is only a small minority of Americans in favour of the elderly dying of poverty or treatable disease.
    Also known as reaping what you have sowed. At least by those that have voted all their life for an ever growing goobermint and lots of free lollies.

Unfortunate that those responsible enough and careful enough in planning for their retirement will be punished also.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 08:34
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Also known as reaping what you have sowed. At least by those that have voted all their life for an ever growing goobermint and lots of free lollies.

Unfortunate that those responsible enough and careful enough in planning for their retirement will be punished also.
    Not having the opportunity to enjoy watching your fellow elderly citizens die is a severe punishment indeed.
  11. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 08:37
    Not having the opportunity to enjoy watching your fellow elderly citizens die is a severe punishment indeed.
    Having your own careful retirement plans curtailed, stifled and handicapped because you have to pay for those that have been reckless and careless is immoral.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 09:00
    Having your own careful retirement plans curtailed, stifled and handicapped because you have to pay for those that have been reckless and careless is immoral.
    Yes indeed, not having the opportunity to enjoy watching your fellow elderly citizens die is super immoral. In a moral society, there is as much suffering as possible.
  13. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 09:101 edit
    Yes indeed, not having the opportunity to enjoy watching your fellow elderly citizens die is super immoral. In a moral society, there is as much suffering as possible.
    Nice point here KN, the measure of a moral society is indeed the extent to which men deal with each other by mutual consent. The greater the welfare state reflects the greater immorality. There is no such thing as forced charity and forced benevolence, force makes the words benevolence and charity dirty and meaningless.

You're in a silly mood tonight aren't you.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 09:13
    Nice point here KN, the measure of a moral society is indeed the extent to which men deal with each other by mutual consent. The greater the welfare state reflects the greater immorality. There is no such thing as forced charity and forced benevolence, force makes the words benevolence and charity dirty and meaningless.

You're in a silly mood tonight aren't you.
    Yes, who wants to live in a prosperous society rather than in dire poverty when said prosperity is "dirty and meaningless?"
  15. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 09:20
    Yes, who wants to live in a prosperous society rather than in dire poverty when said prosperity is "dirty and meaningless?"
    This is the old 'English is my second language' misunderstanding.

I said force makes the words 'benevolence' and 'charity' dirty and meaningless.

I love prosperity, the only bad thing about it is it attracts secondhanders, freeloaders and envyists.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree