Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    25 May '18 18:09
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/indiana-middle-school-lockdown-after-gunfire-erupts-n877476

    This time at a Middle school.

    When will parents start suing schools for not keeping their children safe?

    Enough is enough.
  2. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1407
    25 May '18 18:15
    Originally posted by @whodey
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/indiana-middle-school-lockdown-after-gunfire-erupts-n877476

    This time at a Middle school.

    When will parents start suing schools for not keeping their children safe?

    Enough is enough.
    Not to worry whodey, the NRA sends their prayers, that will make it all better. Yup, we have to blame:

    Schools

    Parents

    Education

    Morality

    Teachers

    Hall Monitors

    But not the guns, NEVER the guns. 🙄
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    25 May '18 18:18
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Not to worry whodey, the NRA sends their prayers, that will make it all better. Yup, we have to blame:

    Schools

    Parents

    Education

    Morality

    Teachers

    Hall Monitors

    But not the guns, NEVER the guns. 🙄
    You are right, why just the other day my 12 gauge tried to sneak out the door to go on a shooting spree.

    Damned guns.
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    55451
    25 May '18 18:59
    Originally posted by @whodey
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/indiana-middle-school-lockdown-after-gunfire-erupts-n877476

    This time at a Middle school.

    When will parents start suing schools for not keeping their children safe?

    Enough is enough.
    Are you serious?
    1. Maybe the gunman should be sued?
    2. Or the owner of the gun especially if he/she negligently allowed the gunman to get the gun?
    3. Or maybe the seller of the gun, especially if the background check was done insufficiently?
    4. I could even see advocating suing the seller of the gun or the manufacturer, distributor of bullets because at this point it is undeniably foreseeable that school shootings will result from their product.
    5. And maybe even if there is no valid legal argument, there is certainly a moral basis to sue group like the NRA who fight to make sure that laws are weakened and inevitably guns get into murders hands or you could sue law makers who get elected by making sure we have insufficient protections from inevitable shooters.

    But you think the responsibility for school shootings is public schools. Institutions which are required by law to educate the masses. Schools have no financial interest in guns and schools in no way market themselves as distributors or guns or ask anyone for support based on the existence of guns.

    You are entitled to your opinion that schools are financially responsible for shootings but it is likely the single dumbest argument one could make on this issue.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    25 May '18 19:02
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Not to worry whodey, the NRA sends their prayers, that will make it all better. Yup, we have to blame:

    Schools

    Parents

    Education

    Morality

    Teachers

    Hall Monitors

    But not the guns, NEVER the guns. 🙄
    You forgot doors.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    25 May '18 19:03
    I think we should start setting up GoFundMe accounts for the victims and families.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    25 May '18 19:164 edits
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    Are you serious?
    1. Maybe the gunman should be sued?
    2. Or the owner of the gun especially if he/she negligently allowed the gunman to get the gun?
    3. Or maybe the seller of the gun, especially if the background check was done insufficiently?
    4. I could even see advocating suing the seller of the gun or the manufacturer, distributor of bullets ...[text shortened]... nsible for shootings but it is likely the single dumbest argument one could make on this issue.
    I am 100% serious.

    Buildings in which legislators and judges reside are armed and protected and anyone who wants in must be searched. None of this happens there.

    Why are they better than our children, ESPECIALLY in light of the fact that about every day now a school gets shot up?

    The state is beyond negligent and their disregard for the value of our children verses their own sorry arse is duly noted.

    You do bring up a good point, however. The parents of these children could be sued in a Civil case. Maybe with the thought of losing everything they have will keep them more in tune with what their children are up to.

    Now we all know what the answer will be. The state will simply shrug their shoulders and say they can't afford to keep our children safe like they are kept safe where they work. Well then, just close down the schools and put a computer in the homes of all the children then. In this age of virtual technology, there is no reason to bus them to school and would save the state all kinds of money along with that. That way the state has more money to do what they do best with it, which is squander it all on themselves and those who fund them.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    25 May '18 19:241 edit
    To date we have not seen the picture of the kid who did this, nor his name being posted.

    This is at least some good news in helping to stop this crap.

    Do note, however, that it is still open season on children. When will the negligent state protect the schools?

    If they ban guns tomorrow, nothing changes.
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    55451
    25 May '18 20:06
    Originally posted by @whodey
    I am 100% serious.

    Buildings in which legislators and judges reside are armed and protected and anyone who wants in must be searched. None of this happens there.

    Why are they better than our children, ESPECIALLY in light of the fact that about every day now a school gets shot up?

    The state is beyond negligent and their disregard for the value of ou ...[text shortened]... to do what they do best with it, which is squander it all on themselves and those who fund them.
    Suing schools incorrectly makes the financial cost of school schooling on the taxpayer. The cost should be on those who benefit from the production and sale of the guns and ammunition that are used in shootings.
    The freedom to have semi-automatic weapons is a moronic freedom. Yet you attempt to protect it regardless of its disastrous results. We have 100,000 schools in the US. You want everyone to lose the freedom and convenience of entering schools without metal detectors, you want the expense of these metal detectors. You know that it still won't prevent shootings of people who are able to circumvent the metal detectors or able to shoot people who are out the school (say on line to go through a metal detector).
    Perhaps you should have a rethink your position and come up with a plan to address a real problem.
  10. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    55451
    25 May '18 20:08
    Originally posted by @whodey
    To date we have not seen the picture of the kid who did this, nor his name being posted.

    This is at least some good news in helping to stop this crap.

    Do note, however, that it is still open season on children. When will the negligent state protect the schools?

    If they ban guns tomorrow, nothing changes.
    I wouldn't ban guns. I would hold those who produce and distribute them financially responsible when the injure people in a foreseeable way.
  11. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    25 May '18 20:51
    Typically American to think you can sue problems away.
  12. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    25 May '18 22:18
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Typically American to think you can sue problems away.
    American lawyers (who profit by it) love to claim that the US adversarial legal system must be the best in the world.
  13. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    22225
    26 May '18 02:58
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    American lawyers (who profit by it) love to claim that the US adversarial legal system must be the best in the world.
    Unfortunately, greed gives that argument some validity.
    But the American legal system is still preferable to many.
    Unless one believes it's better to administer martial justice by gunning down political and media opponents in the streets.
Back to Top