1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '18 05:35
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    He has officially flipped. What do you think of his chances of a pardon now wise guy?
    It depends on what Manafort tells Mueller. Maybe he doesn't have much to tell and even if he does it doesn't mean he will tell all. He probably plead guilty to federal charges because he knows Trump can pardon him on those charges. He has not plead guilty to any state charges.
    It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '18 05:50
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Trump won't dare at least until after the elections. The only reason for a Manafort pardon is to serve his coverup and everybody (but apparently you) knows it. Trump's seen a noticeable drop in his approval rate since the Manafort guilty verdict and Cohen plea going from a net -8.5% to -12.8% in the RealClearPolitics aggregate of polls and -11% to -13.8 ...[text shortened]... s like Quinnipiac and Marist. Even Trump knows a pardon of Manafort would be political dynamite.
    The midterm elections will favor the democrats no matter what.

"The only reason for a Manafort pardon is to serve his coverup and everybody (but apparently you) knows it."

You mean the same way GHW Bush pardoned Caspar Weinberger to cover up Iran/Contra? Why would that be a scandal? Reagan had an approval rating drop too. He should have been impeached, but he is regarded as a great president instead. The news media has the power to revise history in the minds of the American people.

Pardoning a person takes away his ability to plead the 5th. If Manafort pretends to cooperate and gets that out of the way it would not be an issue and Trump could then pardon him before the investigation ends without it being a sticky issue.

I have no idea how this will unfold, but if Trump were to pardon him it would just be a temporary scandal. Weinberger being pardoned by Bush is mostly forgotten. That was far worse.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Sep '18 11:08
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    that many times doesn't exist
    You’re like an Iraquee reporter; claiming that everything is going well as the tanks roll up the street behind him.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Sep '18 14:31
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    The midterm elections will favor the democrats no matter what.

"The only reason for a Manafort pardon is to serve his coverup and everybody (but apparently you) knows it."

You mean the same way GHW Bush pardoned Caspar Weinberger to cover up Iran/Contra? Why would that be a scandal? Reagan had an approval rating drop too. He should have been impea ...[text shortened]... a temporary scandal. Weinberger being pardoned by Bush is mostly forgotten. That was far worse.
    As I pointed out to you several times, the Weinberger and other IranContra scandal pardons happened on the last day of Bush's administration after he had already lost the election, so political ramifications were minimal. That would not be the case of a pardon NOW. The midterm elections might favor the Democrats, but there is no certainty they will flip the House and the odds are against them taking the Senate NOW. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/house/?ex_cid=rrpromo https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/senate/?ex_cid=midterms-header
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 00:29
    As I pointed out to you several times, the Weinberger and other IranContra scandal pardons happened on the last day of Bush's administration after he had already lost the election, so political ramifications were minimal. That would not be the case of a pardon NOW. The midterm elections might favor the Democrats, but there is no certainty they will flip ...[text shortened]... tps://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/senate/?ex_cid=midterms-header
    Pardoning is legal. Democrats would be outraged but they always will hate Trump so I don't think it would be nearly as bad as you think.

Trump will be a lame duck president after the midterm elections. Care to make a bet against that? I would win.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 00:50
    Pardoning is legal. Democrats would be outraged but they always will hate Trump so I don't think it would be nearly as bad as you think.

Trump will be a lame duck president after the midterm elections. Care to make a bet against that? I would win.
    What do you mean WILL BE a lame duck? it is only dame luck he survived this long. The main question is going to be what will Pence be like in HIS short term of being POTUS.

Of course it is legal to pardon but if it can be construed he pardoned someone for the express purpose of silencing his speaking in court, that will be seen as illegal, obstruction of justice and that alone can get T kicked out if Kavanaugh doesn't get confirmed.
    If K gets confirmed which it looks like a sure bet, T will have a get out of jail card for sure and all the indictments will slide off him, the ultimate teflon Don. Or Donald in this case.
    Whether or not he gets impeached, the country will take a long time, maybe never, to recover the influence it once had. The Trump base assswipes who want the US to go it alone against the entire planet have their heads completely up their worthless asses.
    If T gets impeached, 20 years from now there will be millions of assswipes saying it was a witchhunt despite the fact Trump is in fact a criminal, before becoming POTUS, while he is POTUS and if not in jail, will continue to be a lying piece of shyte criminal. His money came from Russian and there is a paper trail to prove it. It will mean nothing however, if Kavanaugh gets confirmed. If that happens SCOTUS will be ultra right wing for decades. If THAT happens the US can kiss itself goodbye, in the sense of being an influencer around the world. China and Russia LOVES all this BULLSHYTE going on around Trump.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 02:42
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    What do you mean WILL BE a lame duck? it is only dame luck he survived this long. The main question is going to be what will Pence be like in HIS short term of being POTUS.

Of course it is legal to pardon but if it can be construed he pardoned someone for the express purpose of silencing his speaking in court, that will be seen as illegal, obstruction ...[text shortened]... an influencer around the world. China and Russia LOVES all this BULLSHYTE going on around Trump.
    "Of course it is legal to pardon but if it can be construed he pardoned someone for the express purpose of silencing his speaking in court, that will be seen as illegal"

Wrong. He would not be silencing him from speaking in court at all. Once he is pardoned he cannot plead the fifth. Besides, Manafort already signed the deal saying he would answer all questions. He cannot back out of that agreement.

Kavanaugh is just one justice of 9 if he is confirmed. No get out of jail free card. You are just paranoid.

There is no evidence Trump is a criminal yet. You are merely hopeful that will change. Trump was not at the lying Russian meeting at Trump tower and he denies knowing about it. Don Jr. is who should be worried.

"His money came from Russian and there is a paper trail to prove it."

I'm skeptical of that claim. What is your source of information?
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 12:381 edit

There are more voters in the United States than Democrats and Republicans and even some of the members of the two big money parties can be convinced to cross over. The idea of pardoning Manafort is deeply unpopular;Trump (or responsible adults around him) know this or he would have done it already. There's little upside now to do it anyway; Manafort would have had to tell Mueller's team what they wanted to know before the plea deal was finalized (it's called a "proffer" ) and thus they have what information they desired already.

I won't bet against things I find desirable but I think a Democratic takeover of the Senate is unlikely given that there 26 Democratic and only 9 Republican seats up for grabs. https://www.270towin.com/2018-senate-election/ To get their needed net gain of two seats the Dems would have to win 28 of the 35 with many in States where Trump won comfortably. I suspect a push is about as well as can be expected.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 17:16
    There are more voters in the United States than Democrats and Republicans and even some of the members of the two big money parties can be convinced to cross over. The idea of pardoning Manafort is deeply unpopular;Trump (or responsible adults around him) know this or he would have done it already. There's little upside now to do it anyway; Manafort wou ...[text shortened]... any in States where Trump won comfortably. I suspect a push is about as well as can be expected.
    A pardon is unlikely, but Manafort flipping would make his testimony less than credible. Only if Mueller can verify such testimony with supporting proof will it be damaging to Trump. His word alone is worthless. Drug dealers that flip have a history of lying to get a deal and this is very similar. It doesn't matter what Manafort alleges unless there is supporting evidence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree