1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 02:451 edit
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/04/psychologists.gay.marriage/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 04:392 edits
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/04/psychologists.gay.marriage/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
    Was this after they changed their minds about homosexual behavior being a disorder in the 1970's?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 05:26
    Originally posted by whodey
    Was this after they changed their minds about homosexual behavior being a disorder in the 1970's?
    There's been a lot of progress in the last 40 years.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 15:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    If gay marriage can curb the AIDS epidemic perhaps it has merit. Otherwise they are simply endorsing a sexual practice that is inherently unhealthy.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 18:33
    Why is a scientific organization endorsing a political agenda?

If, say, the American Automobile Mechanics Association endorsed tax hikes for the rich, would we pay attention to them?

The resolution also points to evidence that ongoing political debate about marriage creates stress for gay men and lesbians and perpetuates stigmas and prejudice about their communities. This stress can make people physically and psychologically sick, the APA says, calling the link between stress and illness "well established."

That political debate upsets some people is not a good enough reason to end the political debate. Sorry. In any case, giving up on legalization of same sex marriage would have an equally effective impact on ending the "political debate about marriage" but presumably they are not pressing for that conclusion.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 18:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    Some progress may not be so progressive.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 18:57
    Originally posted by sh76

If, say, the American Automobile Mechanics Association endorsed tax hikes for the rich, would we pay attention to them?

[quote]The resolution also points to evidence that ongoing political debate about marriage creates stress for gay men and lesbians and perpetuates stigmas and prejudice about ...[text shortened]... "political debate about marriage" but presumably they are not pressing for that conclusion.
    It's endorsing a practice that it feels is beneficial from a psychological health viewpoint. I don't see why it's such a big issue.

If the American Economic Association endorsed tax hikes for the rich, shouldn't we pay attention? Or the APHA regarding the public health of distributing condoms to teenagers? I think we should pay attention as another factor in the equation.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 21:14
    Originally posted by Palynka
    It's endorsing a practice that it feels is beneficial from a psychological health viewpoint. I don't see why it's such a big issue.

If the American Economic Association endorsed tax hikes for the rich, shouldn't we pay attention? Or the APHA regarding the public health of distributing condoms to teenagers? I think we should pay attention as another factor in the equation.
    I agree that it's not a big issue. In fact, that was kind of my point.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 22:00
    If gay marriage can curb the AIDS epidemic perhaps it has merit. Otherwise they are simply endorsing a sexual practice that is inherently unhealthy.
    Getting married is not usually considered a sexual practice.
  10. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 22:25
    To call something "inherently unhealthy" would imply that it always has negative health consequences. This is of course not true of homosexual intercourse if sensible precautions are taken.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 16:081 edit

[quote]The resolution also points to evidence that ongoing political debate about marriage creates stress for gay men and lesbians and perpetuates stigmas and prejudice about "political debate about marriage" but presumably they are not pressing for that conclusion.
    Yep, politics and science, a marriage made in hell.

Has the APA endorsed cap and trade yet?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 16:09
    Originally posted by JS357
    Getting married is not usually considered a sexual practice.
    If sex is not part of the equation, then it is simply a relationship.

Yes, it is sexual practice.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 16:22
    If sex is not part of the equation, then it is simply a relationship.

Yes, it is sexual practice.
    No it isn't.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 16:311 edit
    I agree that it's not a big issue. In fact, that was kind of my point.
    No, you hinted we shouldn't pay attention and asked why a scientific organization would have a position. But feel free to ignore what I said about both these things.
  15. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 16:591 edit
    I'll bite. How is the APA's endorsement of same-sex marriage effectively an endorsement of a sexual practice? And how is the APA's endorsement of same-sex marriage an endorsement of an unhealthy practice?

And while you're at it, go ahead and resolve for me your paternalistic concern for homosexuals affected by the HIV epidemic and your ever-present fear of government encroachment on individual liberty, too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree