1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '11 02:31
    Originally posted by telerion
    Well, that's fair I suppose.

Look. I don't favor one measure over another. U-6 is an extremely broad measure. It includes within the "marginally attached" category people who have looked for work in the past 12 months and who want to work and are ready for a job but choose not to look for now but [b]not
    for a job-market related reason (those would ...[text shortened]... ll time from a world with the same number of completely unemployed looking for anything.[/b]
    How about full time workers who make less?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/09171205001900

People who make less spend less. Less spending is bad for the economy, right?
    Full time employment is full time employment, I know. I just thought I would point out that our economy is doing poorly because of more than just people being unemployed.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Mar '11 10:201 edit
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    How about full time workers who make less?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/09171205001900

People who make less spend less. Less spending is bad for the economy, right?
    Full time employment is full time employment, I know. I just thought I would point out that our economy is doing poorly because of more than just people being unemployed.
    Wages and unemployment are different things.

You seem to want to have one perfect indicator that describes all the dimensions of the job market. That's stupid. You have many indicators precisely because there are many dimensions and effects on the composition within the broader measures and they are all potentially relevant.
  3. Joined
    04 Mar '11
    Moves
    04 Mar '11 10:24

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Mar '11 10:32
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Am I supposed to be offended because you said I was gay?

And apologies if you're still hurt from being humiliated in one of our past encounters. Water under the bridge, right?
  5. Joined
    04 Mar '11
    Moves
    04 Mar '11 10:41

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '11 13:59
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Wages and unemployment are different things.

You seem to want to have [b]one
    perfect indicator that describes all the dimensions of the job market. That's stupid. You have many indicators precisely because there are many dimensions and effects on the composition within the broader measures and they are all potentially relevant.[/b]
    I never claimed anything of the sort.
    You have an active imagination.

I am simply pointing out why the economy sucks.
  7. silicon valley
    Moves
    04 Mar '11 15:45
    Originally posted by bill718
    Offical unemployment rates have been in error for a long time. They don't take into account those who have stopped looking for jobs, and other factors. The real unemployment number is much higher. Lawmakes don't seem to be in any hurry to change this however. As far as other economic numbers our government may be lying about...I don't want to think about it!
    nobody wants to be the President who changes the reporting tradition and takes the hit for the resulting huge jump in unemployment.

maybe it's the lazy press's fault for stopping at the first figure reported by the government. the other figures are available just down the page.

i wonder why they don't also report payrolls. somewhat rarely you see one of the large payroll processing firms' trends reported. that is probably more accurate than a survey of households, and given that the SSA and IRS are probably generating monthly tallies why don't they just share it with us directly?
  8. Germany
    Moves
    04 Mar '11 16:19
    I never claimed anything of the sort.
    You have an active imagination.

I am simply pointing out why the economy sucks.
    Yes, doom and destruction is upon ye.

The US is one of the richest countries in the world, and while facing some serious challenges, does not "suck" by any stretch of the imagination.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '11 16:41
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Yes, doom and destruction is upon ye.

The US is one of the richest countries in the world, and while facing some serious challenges, does not "suck" by any stretch of the imagination.
    Compared to what? Sure, compared to Zimbabwe we are doing great. I wouldn't want to live in Greece, Ireland, Portugal or Spain either.

The Swiss are not doing bad. Brazil seems to be doing well.

If my country did not have unemployment compensation or food benefits people would be much more unhappy than they are. Yeah, this is a rich country. Most of it owned by 1% of the population. Hooray for the other 99%...not!
  10. Germany
    Moves
    04 Mar '11 17:08
    Compared to what? Sure, compared to Zimbabwe we are doing great. I wouldn't want to live in Greece, Ireland, Portugal or Spain either.

The Swiss are not doing bad. Brazil seems to be doing well.

If my country did not have unemployment compensation or food benefits people would be much more unhappy than they are. Yeah, this is a rich country. Most of it owned by 1% of the population. Hooray for the other 99%...not!
    You think Brazil has a higher standard of living than the US?

You are weird.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '11 18:44
    You think Brazil has a higher standard of living than the US?

You are weird.
    I never said Brazil has a higher standard of living than the USA, I said they were doing well. Their economy is growing at a good rate.

How high a standard of living is depends on the individual. There are plenty of people in my country who are in poverty. You might want to ask why such a wealthy country has such a high rate of poverty. I'll bet it is higher than Sweden or Denmark.

You need to pull your head out of your rear and realize it doesn't matter how well the Rockefellers are doing in the USA. Half of my friends are either collecting unemployment or welfare. It is sad.

Are we grateful to have good social programs? You bet! Most of us would rather be working though. Even those that work are sometimes getting food benefits. Minimum wage does not pay all the bills if you have children.

We had a better standard of living in the 50s and 60s. Only one parent had to work to support a family. Now many families need to have both parents working just to make ends meet. Spouses often fight over money and get divorced here. It happens all the time.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    04 Mar '11 18:47
    I never said Brazil has a higher standard of living than the USA, I said they were doing well. Their economy is growing at a good rate.

How high a standard of living is depends on the individual. There are plenty of people in my country who are in poverty. You might want to ask why such a wealthy country has such a high rate of poverty. I'll bet it is ...[text shortened]... make ends meet. Spouses often fight over money and get divorced here. It happens all the time.
    Yes, Brazil is experiencing good growth at the moment. Still far from being rich, though.

I find it very odd that you would complain about a lack of social security (and I agree, don't get me wrong) and at the same time support Ron Paul.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '11 18:49
    Yes, Brazil is experiencing good growth at the moment. Still far from being rich, though.

I find it very odd that you would complain about a lack of social security (and I agree, don't get me wrong) and at the same time support Ron Paul.
    I never complained about a lack of social security.
    You must be thinking of someone else.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    04 Mar '11 18:54
    I never complained about a lack of social security.
    You must be thinking of someone else.
    You might want to ask why such a wealthy country has such a high rate of poverty. I'll bet it is higher than Sweden or Denmark.

And the reason for this, other than a lack of social security, is...?
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Mar '11 01:16
    You might want to ask why such a wealthy country has such a high rate of poverty. I'll bet it is higher than Sweden or Denmark.

And the reason for this, other than a lack of social security, is...?
    What does less poverty have to do with lack of social security?
    What are you talking about?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree