Are the wealthy hoarding money?

Are the wealthy hoarding money?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
24 Nov 12

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
I think you are a bit confused. A government uses "other people's money" and uses it for various things (collective goods, imports). The government is a "concern" of everyone in a democracy. So by definition people have a say about other people's money in any form of democracy.
I think you have a Communistic style government and government confused. Only governments that are being misused to redistribute wealth are ones used as you describe. There was a time, not so long ago, that this country was not run by such people.

rc

Moves
25 Nov 12

Originally posted by Eladar
I think you have a Communistic style government and government confused. Only governments that are being misused to redistribute wealth are ones used as you describe. There was a time, not so long ago, that this country was not run by such people.
Dude i don't even think you know what a communist government is. Have you read
the Quiet American by Graham Greene, awesome book! Poor Pyle, so full of ideology,
so ignorant of reality.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
25 Nov 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Dude i don't even think you know what a communist government is. Have you read
the Quiet American by Graham Greene, awesome book! Poor Pyle, so full of ideology,
so ignorant of reality.
Why don't you give us the abridged version, since you're so up on the topic?

rc

Moves
25 Nov 12

Originally posted by sasquatch672
Why don't you give us the abridged version, since you're so up on the topic?
I did, you were either unable to comprehend its significance or so blinded by your
prejudices that it reverberated against the side of your head and dissipated into the
stratosphere. I rarely contend with the politically indoctrinated, its a complete waste of
time.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
25 Nov 12

I did, you were either unable to comprehend its significance or so blinded by your
prejudices that it reverberated against the side of your head and dissipated into the
stratosphere. I rarely contend with the politically indoctrinated, its a complete waste of
time.
Politically indoctrinated. Do you actually read my posts?

jb

Moves
25 Nov 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Metal Brain
Some say if the rich had to spend some of the wealth they have accumulated it would stimulate the economy. Others say the rich are already being taxed too much and that is not the solution.

Who needs to spend more and what is the best way to get them to do it?
If the rich need help spending some money I would gladly volunteer my services.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
25 Nov 12

Some say if the rich had to spend some of the wealth they have accumulated it would stimulate the economy. Others say the rich are already being taxed too much and that is not the solution.

Who needs to spend more and what is the best way to get them to do it?
Hoarding money is a meaningless concept. Money is purchasing power; you cannot hoard it; you can merely decline to use it. When you decline to use it, you are not depriving anyone of its utility; it merely has no impact on the market. Resources cannot be hoarded. Abstract numbers that represent ability to acquire resources cannot be hoarded.

If I hoard a warehouse of food, nobody else can eat the food and so I'm hoarding it. But my holding $100m in a bank account does not deprive anyone else of a resource.

MB

Moves
25 Nov 12

Originally posted by sh76
Hoarding money is a meaningless concept. Money is purchasing power; you cannot hoard it; you can merely decline to use it. When you decline to use it, you are not depriving anyone of its utility; it merely has no impact on the market. Resources cannot be hoarded. Abstract numbers that represent ability to acquire resources cannot be hoarded.

If I hoard a war ...[text shortened]... hoarding it. But my holding $100m in a bank account does not deprive anyone else of a resource.
Call it what you want, but declining to spend money can slow economic growth if that money is in too few hands. Some might say that the gap between rich and poor is part of the problem.

Perhaps you can tell me why our economy is in bad shape if it is not because a lot of money is sitting idle.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
25 Nov 12

Originally posted by sh76

If I hoard a war ...[text shortened]... hoarding it. But my holding $100m in a bank account does not deprive anyone else of a resource.
Money can be hoarded because those without money are legally obligated to pay rent to the rich. The combination of money hoarding, money concentration, political-legal suppression of alternative money influx - you end up with a broken monetary system where the rich use the government to terrorize the poor so rich people can get even richer.

K

Germany

Moves
25 Nov 12

Ah, you mean 1776? If I'm not mistaken, the US constitution (don't your kind of people have a fetish for it?) grants taxation powers to the US government, and the people have the power to choose the government, and thus indirectly set taxation on others. So I guess you feel democracy = communism. Any kind of taxation redistributes wealth.

rc

Moves
25 Nov 12
1 edit

Originally posted by sasquatch672
Politically indoctrinated. Do you actually read my posts?
Do you actually read my posts?

Not only I, but countless other hapless victims.

E

Moves
25 Nov 12

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Ah, you mean 1776? If I'm not mistaken, the US constitution (don't your kind of people have a fetish for it?) grants taxation powers to the US government, and the people have the power to choose the government, and thus indirectly set taxation on others. So I guess you feel democracy = communism. Any kind of taxation redistributes wealth.
No, I do not mean 1776, more like 1940's. Communism started to take root in this country about the time of FDR.

K

Germany

Moves
25 Nov 12

No, I do not mean 1776, more like 1940's. Communism started to take root in this country about the time of FDR.
Can you explain to me how a government can tax without redistributing wealth?

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
25 Nov 12

Call it what you want, but declining to spend money can slow economic growth if that money is in too few hands. Some might say that the gap between rich and poor is part of the problem.

Perhaps you can tell me why our economy is in bad shape if it is not because a lot of money is sitting idle.
Let's see. We have a fiat money monetary system in which 3% inflation is considered the norm. So if you don't spend your cash, or get a 3%+ return on it, it is evaporating. Most people with accumulated wealth aren't total idiots.

The only reason that they would "hoard" cash, that is not spend or invest it, is that the risks of "investing" or even saving are greater than the anticipated return.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
25 Nov 12

Do you actually read my posts?

Not only I, but countless other hapless victims.
Are you calling me a slayer of worlds?