Armistice Day

Armistice Day

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
11 Nov 11

Apparently, 11/11 is celebrated in the US as WWI Armistice Day. 11/11 is likewise celebrated in the US a veteran's day. This is more of a Holiday in the US than is V-E Day and I gather the same is true in the UK.

Does this make sense though? Does it make more sense to celebrate peace and victory and our militaries on the date of the end of WWI or the day of the end of WWII?

T

Moves
12 Nov 11
1 edit

Originally posted by sh76
Apparently, 11/11 is celebrated in the US as WWI Armistice Day. 11/11 is likewise celebrated in the US a veteran's day. This is more of a Holiday in the US than is V-E Day and I gather the same is true in the UK.

Does this make sense though? Does it make more sense to celebrate peace and victory and our militaries on the date of the end of WWI or the day of the end of WWII?
The reason is simple enough - World War I happened first. And Remembrance Day (as we call it here) was an established institution before World War II broke out.

Remembrance Day (and Remembrance Sunday, the nearest Sunday to the 11th, when most public ceremonies take place) is quite a sombre affair here - not really a celebration so much as a commemoration. We're not so much "celebrating peace and victory" as reflecting with admiration and sorrow on the courage and sacrifice of those who had to fight and die so that we could live happier and freer lives. A lot of people still do the customary thing and wear paper poppies in the weeks leading up to Remembrance; and most workplaces stop work at eleven o'clock for a one or two minutes' silence. I know also one or two people who make sure they're in church on Remembrance Sunday, even though they're not regular churchgoers.

K

Germany

Moves
12 Nov 11

Well, does it make sense to have such a remembrance day at all? Probably not.

Moves
12 Nov 11

Originally posted by sh76

There was a V-E day, (Victory in Europe) commemorated on May 8, 1945 in the US, and a V-J day (Victory over Japan), commemorated on Sept. 2 in the US.

But more importantly, the name was changed to Veteran's day in the US after WWII. So it's not Armistice day in the US.

"...after American forces had fought aggression in Korea, the 83rd Congress, at the urging of the veterans service organizations, amended the Act of 1938 by striking out the word "Armistice" and inserting in its place the word "Veterans." With the approval of this legislation (Public Law 380) on June 1, 1954, November 11th became a day to honor American veterans of all wars."

http://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/vetdayhistory.asp

T

Moves
13 Nov 11

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Well, does it make sense to have such a remembrance day at all? Probably not.
Well, as George Santayana said, "Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it."

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Nov 11

Originally posted by Teinosuke
Well, as George Santayana said, "Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it."
They did repeat it.

Moves
13 Nov 11

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
They did repeat it.
If you are referring to WWII being a repeat of an unlearned lesson, I suggest it was a continuation of war due to an inadequate and incomplete resolution of WWI. Then we did learn -- both Germany and Japan were rebuilt with aid from the victors instead of a debilitating economic penalty being exacted. Of course, other lessons were provided by WWI and not learned, like the fact that strategic carpet bombing strengthens resistance instead of weakening it. It seems it takes at least a couple of iterations of a lesson, but it is learned.

K

Germany

Moves
13 Nov 11

But do people really "remember" or is just some custom that they adhere to?

T

Moves
13 Nov 11

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
But do people really "remember" or is just some custom that they adhere to?
Depends on the person, I suppose.

T

Moves
13 Nov 11

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
They did repeat it.
Well - you can remember something without learning its lessons, of course. But forgetting certainly doesn't help!

K

Germany

Moves
13 Nov 11

Depends on the person, I suppose.
In Holland some people really take offence if you do not hold the 2 minutes customary silence at Remembrance Day (even if you are not disruptive to anyone). Of course some of these people are the same people who voted for parties who sent down soldiers to mow down civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq. Hypocrites.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
13 Nov 11

Originally posted by JS357
If you are referring to WWII being a repeat of an unlearned lesson, I suggest it was a continuation of war due to an inadequate and incomplete resolution of WWI. Then we did learn -- both Germany and Japan were rebuilt with aid from the victors instead of a debilitating economic penalty being exacted. Of course, other lessons were provided by WWI and not learn ...[text shortened]... weakening it. It seems it takes at least a couple of iterations of a lesson, but it is learned.
Yeah, that's about it. But what could have done so we would not have been a falure as to "inadequate and incomplete resolution?"