Artificial shortage conspiracy

Artificial shortage conspiracy

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB

Moves
26 Oct 21

@kmax87 said
What does the truck drivers union say? What does the Port Authority say? What do truck drivers say?
You tell me.
What do they say?

MB

Moves
26 Oct 21

There is more than 1 factor involved. Not all trucks can pass the emission standards in LA. Why would they go there and get fined for violating emission regulations?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 Oct 21

@Metal-Brain
What do you think would be the bottom line if all that BS was true? Save your quarters? For WHAT? Just what can you buy with a quarter now? or even 50 cents.

What the HELL do we need coins for in the first place? It's not like last century, give you kid a dime when the ice cream truck passes by, now, it's like that will be 3 dollars please, for one cone.
All we have to do is round up or down to eliminate all this 3.99 a gallon crap, make if FOUR for god's sake, who gives a crap it the price went up a tenth of a percent, or maybe if something costs 3.20 then make it 3 even, it should all work out in the long run, that way we don't have to keep on making useless coins.

P

Moves
26 Oct 21

@Mott-The-Hoople unemployment ended in September. Drivers probably found better jobs.

MB

Moves
26 Oct 21

@sonhouse said
@Metal-Brain
What do you think would be the bottom line if all that BS was true? Save your quarters? For WHAT? Just what can you buy with a quarter now? or even 50 cents.

What the HELL do we need coins for in the first place? It's not like last century, give you kid a dime when the ice cream truck passes by, now, it's like that will be 3 dollars please, for one cone.
A ...[text shortened]... ven, it should all work out in the long run, that way we don't have to keep on making useless coins.
Are you advocating a cashless society?

Coins in high demand are worth more. If the government is taking them out of circulation and melting them down the supply is dwindling. Supply and demand. Duh!

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
26 Oct 21

@metal-brain said
You tell me.
What do they say?
Okay I've been on the interwebs and google is my friend.

What I found suggests a much more complex picture than truckers are vaccine hesitant.

The global supply chain is choked from ship to shelf. Not just America. Simple fact while covid raged and people stayed at home, online took off while worker numbers to process those containers through the ports were down.

But that's only part of the picture. There is almost zero warehouse space left in California, because businesses have largely junked their pre-covid just in time strategy and have been slowly stockpiling to the point that warehouses are overflowing.

One of the biggest culprits however, is that freight logistics has not been a 24/7 reality in America, even though they are in most other mega ports around the world. Getting the ports to move to a 24/7 modality in California is a great step to unlock the bottleneck, but that bottleneck is just kicked down the road to the warehouse when they are not also on a 24/7 clock. And surprise surprise, many large warehouses are not and the reason? If you guessed money because no-one wants to pay extra to employ people through a graveyard shift, then I think you get the stuffed toy off the top shelf.

So while the ports are overwhelmed with containers and ships waiting to dock (a record number of container ships are anchored at sea waiting to get a slot) it looks like numbers won't start levelling off and going back down till well into 2022, but in the time honoured tradition of who to blame, blame the government and vaccine mandates when really its obvious that companies are dragging their feet because their freight cost would go up until the backlog cleared. Can they be blamed for not wanting to take a hit on their bottom line. Probably not. I'm sure their margins are razor thin as it is. Maybe they need government to step in and cover the cost of a temporary 24/7 switch up. I'm sure that will go down well with the government is socializing everything crowd. Head for the hills before we get stuck in this gulag someone cried!

Now anyone with even the least bit of nouse could have worked out that the basic problem, increased online sales and reduced workforce both due to covid would create the mother of all snafu's. Suggesting that the problem is all about vaccine non-compliance is a bit of a red herring. But I think you probably knew that.

MB

Moves
27 Oct 21

@kmax87 said
Okay I've been on the interwebs and google is my friend.

What I found suggests a much more complex picture than truckers are vaccine hesitant.

The global supply chain is choked from ship to shelf. Not just America. Simple fact while covid raged and people stayed at home, online took off while worker numbers to process those containers through the ports were down.

Bu ...[text shortened]... m is all about vaccine non-compliance is a bit of a red herring. But I think you probably knew that.
That doesn't explain why it is only happening in LA and not Florida and other ports in the country. The emission regulations partly explain why LA is hit harder, but not the whole global supply chain. If it was the whole global supply chain Florida would not have been spared.

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
27 Oct 21

@metal-brain said
That doesn't explain why it is only happening in LA and not Florida and other ports in the country. The emission regulations partly explain why LA is hit harder, but not the whole global supply chain. If it was the whole global supply chain Florida would not have been spared.
Check out where Port transfers in Florida originate from and compare and contrast that with where Port transfers in California originate from and get back to me. And while you are there, compare the size of trade through those Ports and maybe you can hazard a guess as to why Florida has room.

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
27 Oct 21
1 edit

@kmax87 said
Check out where Port transfers in Florida originate from and compare and contrast that with where Port transfers in California originate from and get back to me. And while you are there, compare the size of trade through those Ports and maybe you can hazard a guess as to why Florida has room.
DeSantis offering help in the supply chain crises, is like the 4ft kid in a basketball game with NBA pro's crying out, I'm free, over here, pass the ball!

In case your google doesn't work.
West Coast ports process close to 37% of all American imports/trade predominantly from Asia. Florida has the biggest passenger terminal for sure but in terms of container trade/volumes, Miami and Tampa account for maybe 3-4% of American imports/trade and mainly from Latin America.

If ships in the queue lining up for Port of Los Angeles or Long Beach decide to reroute to Miami Port via the Panama, that almost 5000 nautical miles will take at least 8 days to sail, longer because of the canal and for what purpose? Its taking around the same amount of time for ships at anchor to be processed anyway, so why burn all that fuel, other than to keep moving and appear to be doing something?

Doesn't make sense, unless you're DeSantis and want to make political capital out of a problem on Biden's watch, because you're thinking of a run in 2024 or beyond or you just want favored buddy status from the Trumpster......
Anyhoo go on, keep on watching your Fox and keep on believing...

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Oct 21

@Ponderable
Doesn't that make sense? For Truckers to LOVE to not work and receive half the wages in unemployment V what they make on the road.

Wow, SO obvious.